PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen renewal notices

jmk
August 18th 06, 03:00 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that Jeppesen renewal notices are well
past the phrase "sleazy" in their wordiing?

I had a Skybound subscription that I did not renew when the
subscription period ran out. Now I am getting these renewal notices
(which is fine in and of itself) that say things like THIRD NOTICE and
imply that it is money owed (a common scam technique). They also warn
that if I don't pay by the renewal invoice due date then the
subscription WILL BE TERMINATED and that I will be required to PURCHASE
NEW CONTENT FOR EACH OF THE TERMINATED SUBSCRIPTIONS. [Yeah, I
checked. The cost of subscribing anew is not one dime higher than the
"renewal" cost.]

Just seems bloody sleazy for a supposedly reputable company.

GS
August 19th 06, 02:02 AM
jmk wrote:
> Am I the only one that thinks that Jeppesen renewal notices are well
> past the phrase "sleazy" in their wordiing?

I don't recall them being "sleazy" but I do think AOPA is horrendous. I
must have gotten at least 3 *dozen* letters, voicemails and emails to
re-join. I quit because of AOPA not being an organization for pilots
but simply an advertising/spamming organization

Gerald

Michelle Settle
August 19th 06, 02:15 AM
"GS" > wrote in message
t...
> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I must have gotten at least 3 *dozen*
> letters, voicemails and emails to re-join. I quit because of AOPA not
> being an organization for pilots but simply an advertising/spamming
> organization

Maybe you should join the Amish? They never spam, email or send voicemail.

Michelle

Paul Tomblin
August 19th 06, 02:39 AM
In a previous article, "Michelle Settle" > said:
>"GS" > wrote in message
t...
>> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I must have gotten at least 3 *dozen*
>> letters, voicemails and emails to re-join. I quit because of AOPA not
>> being an organization for pilots but simply an advertising/spamming
>> organization
>>

>Maybe you should join the Amish? They never spam, email or send voicemail.

Are you sure? They have a web site.

"Jebediah, it's your turn to crank the generator, and you be spritely
about it. When yon Josiah did his turn, the server kept crashing when the
disk was active."

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story

Travis Marlatte
August 19th 06, 06:07 AM
I dispise being "reminded" to renew six months in advance. Worse, is the
claim that it will save them money. Send me one renewal notice, when it is
due and I'll pay it. What could be cheaper?

Of course, having me renew way early does more than save them money, it
makes them money. Me too! I'll keep it until it is needed, if you don't
mind!

Give me a good product, charge me a decent rate for it, and don't lie to me!
For AOPA, I recognize that their product includes more than a magazine in my
mailbox.

As for AOPA Pilot, the articles have been getting smaller and smaller. The
information has been getting sparser and sparser. The self-promoting
material has been expanding almost as fast as the advertising.

Tip for AOPA: I'M ALREADY A MEMBER!! Quite preaching to the choir! I know
what services you provide. How could I not? You remind me every month in the
the renewal packet!!!

--
-------------------------------
Travis

"GS" > wrote in message
t...
> jmk wrote:
>> Am I the only one that thinks that Jeppesen renewal notices are well
>> past the phrase "sleazy" in their wordiing?
>
> I don't recall them being "sleazy" but I do think AOPA is horrendous. I
> must have gotten at least 3 *dozen* letters, voicemails and emails to
> re-join. I quit because of AOPA not being an organization for pilots but
> simply an advertising/spamming organization
>
> Gerald

Mitty
August 19th 06, 01:46 PM
On 8/19/2006 12:07 AM, Travis Marlatte wrote the following:

> As for AOPA Pilot, the articles have been getting smaller and smaller. The
> information has been getting sparser and sparser. The self-promoting
> material has been expanding almost as fast as the advertising.

Here's a tip: Switch your subscription to Flight Training magazine.
They usually run only one (gasp!) picture of Phil Boyer and in general
the articles are more valuable. It never hurts the review the basics.

Michelle Settle
August 19th 06, 03:28 PM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, "Michelle Settle" > said:
>>"GS" > wrote in message
t...
>>> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I must have gotten at least 3
>>> *dozen*
>>> letters, voicemails and emails to re-join. I quit because of AOPA not
>>> being an organization for pilots but simply an advertising/spamming
>>> organization
>>>

>>Maybe you should join the Amish? They never spam, email or send voicemail.
>
> Are you sure? They have a web site.
>
> "Jebediah, it's your turn to crank the generator, and you be spritely
> about it. When yon Josiah did his turn, the server kept crashing when the
> disk was active."

"...and there was much rejoicing!!".

Michelle

Robert Chambers
August 19th 06, 05:31 PM
Mitty wrote:

> On 8/19/2006 12:07 AM, Travis Marlatte wrote the following:
>

>> As for AOPA Pilot, the articles have been getting smaller and smaller.
>> The information has been getting sparser and sparser. The
>> self-promoting material has been expanding almost as fast as the
>> advertising.
>>

> Here's a tip: Switch your subscription to Flight Training magazine. They
> usually run only one (gasp!) picture of Phil Boyer and in general the
> articles are more valuable. It never hurts the review the basics.

Unfortunately FT magazine was a LOT (IMHO) better before Phil and AOPA
got hold of it. Now it seems more of a Phil Boyer love-fest and the
guts of the magazine that I used to enjoy got smaller. I didn't renew
my subscription when it ran out.

I've always wanted to join AOPA but I can't bring myself to do it the
way the organization is structured now. It seems to be pretty self
serving and only really helps out the general aviation pilot when those
needs happen to coincide with ours.

People leave copies of AOPA pilot around the clubhouse so I read it
there from time to time. Some of the articles in there are quite good
but those stand out from the norm.

Robert

Allan9
August 21st 06, 03:15 AM
Wanna bet
Al

"Michelle Settle" > wrote in message

> "GS" > wrote in message
> t...
>> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I must have gotten at least 3 *dozen*
>> letters, voicemails and emails to re-join. I quit because of AOPA not
>> being an organization for pilots but simply an advertising/spamming
>> organization
>>

> Maybe you should join the Amish? They never spam, email or send voicemail.
>
> Michelle

jmk
August 21st 06, 02:56 PM
Travis Marlatte wrote:
> I dispise being "reminded" to renew six months in advance. Worse, is the
> claim that it will save them money. Send me one renewal notice, when it is
> due and I'll pay it. What could be cheaper?

True, but in the case of Jepp, it's the old "make it look like a bill
for something that's already been ordered." that gets me. Complete
with "third notice" and "past due date." Plus the implication that it
will cost me big bucks if I don't get my money on time (yeah, I
confirmed with Jepp - the price is exactly the same for renewal as for
a brand new subscription).

Sheesh... about the only thing it's missing is bold red "your credit
rating may suffer."

Sam Spade
August 21st 06, 03:19 PM
jmk wrote:
> Travis Marlatte wrote:
>
>>I dispise being "reminded" to renew six months in advance. Worse, is the
>>claim that it will save them money. Send me one renewal notice, when it is
>>due and I'll pay it. What could be cheaper?
>

> True, but in the case of Jepp, it's the old "make it look like a bill
> for something that's already been ordered." that gets me. Complete
> with "third notice" and "past due date." Plus the implication that it
> will cost me big bucks if I don't get my money on time (yeah, I
> confirmed with Jepp - the price is exactly the same for renewal as for
> a brand new subscription).
>
> Sheesh... about the only thing it's missing is bold red "your credit
> rating may suffer."

Also, "We will turn your account over to a collection agency."

Stan Prevost
August 21st 06, 03:30 PM
For a couple of years, what they did was disable the last two database
downloads if the renewal had not occurred. You had to call them to find out
why you could not download, then they would enable the one download without
comment. This year, just got the renewal notices.

"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> jmk wrote:
>> Travis Marlatte wrote:
>>
>>>I dispise being "reminded" to renew six months in advance. Worse, is the
>>>claim that it will save them money. Send me one renewal notice, when it
>>>is
>>>due and I'll pay it. What could be cheaper?
>>

>> True, but in the case of Jepp, it's the old "make it look like a bill
>> for something that's already been ordered." that gets me. Complete
>> with "third notice" and "past due date." Plus the implication that it
>> will cost me big bucks if I don't get my money on time (yeah, I
>> confirmed with Jepp - the price is exactly the same for renewal as for
>> a brand new subscription).
>>
>> Sheesh... about the only thing it's missing is bold red "your credit
>> rating may suffer."
>>
> Also, "We will turn your account over to a collection agency."

Dave Butler[_1_]
August 21st 06, 03:53 PM
GS wrote:
> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I
> must have gotten at least 3 *dozen* letters, voicemails and emails to
> re-join. I quit because of AOPA not being an organization for pilots
> but simply an advertising/spamming organization

AOPA is a *lobbying* organization. The mail they send out to members gets them
revenue from their advertising partners and supports the lobbying mission.

If you're a member and don't want to receive the advertising, select all the
"don't send me advertising" membership options, and most or all of it stops.

Sam Spade
August 21st 06, 04:16 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> GS wrote:
>
>> ... I do think AOPA is horrendous. I
>> must have gotten at least 3 *dozen* letters, voicemails and emails to
>> re-join. I quit because of AOPA not being an organization for pilots
>> but simply an advertising/spamming organization
>

> AOPA is a *lobbying* organization. The mail they send out to members
> gets them revenue from their advertising partners and supports the
> lobbying mission.
>
> If you're a member and don't want to receive the advertising, select all
> the "don't send me advertising" membership options, and most or all of
> it stops.

That has worked well for me.

Google