PDA

View Full Version : IFR Routing to W95 Ocracoke Island?

RH[_1_]
August 19th 06, 12:58 AM
Hi everyone,

We have a vacation planned in September to Ocracoke Island. We'll be
departing from Spartanburg, SC (SPA).

I have flown to Ocracoke once before but that was VFR from the north.
Any idea what routing to expect when IFR from the west?

Richard

Don Poitras
August 19th 06, 04:44 AM
RH > wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> We have a vacation planned in September to Ocracoke Island. We'll be
> departing from Spartanburg, SC (SPA).

> I have flown to Ocracoke once before but that was VFR from the north.
> Any idea what routing to expect when IFR from the west?

> Richard

I do this flight often from near Raleigh, but I'm /G, so I usually just
go direct. If R-5306A is not active, I believe you'll just get vectors
direct from New Bern. Be aware that this involves a good distance over
open water. You may want to file to Morehead (MRH) and then direct which
would take you north up the 'Core Banks'.

If the restricted area is active, I think they'll either send you to
Morehead, or north usually towards Pungo intersection and then direct
to W95.

Cherry Point approach will lose you on radar about halfway across the
sound. Although there can often be a buildup of clouds along the the
shoreline, it's usually clear by the time you get to Ocracoke and you'll
normally just get a visual approach.

Howard's Pub often listens on multicom, so call them up and tell them
you're coming for lunch and they'll send out an electric cart to pick
you up. The airport is closed at night.

--
Don Poitras

RH[_1_]
August 20th 06, 12:28 PM
Thanks Don!

We're looking forward to the trip.

Richard

Dave Butler[_1_]
August 21st 06, 03:47 PM
RH wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We have a vacation planned in September to Ocracoke Island. We'll be
> departing from Spartanburg, SC (SPA).
>
> I have flown to Ocracoke once before but that was VFR from the north.
> Any idea what routing to expect when IFR from the west?

Over PUNGO. There are RNAV instrument approaches, but either the approach or the
missed approach are into the restricted areas, and there's no radar or comm
coverage below ~3000-5000 ft, so center doesn't like to clear for the approaches
since (I suppose) they have to coordinate with the military. Planning to go VFR
after PUNGO will ease the way for you. I understand there may have been
improvements to radar/comm coverage in the last few months, since I've been there.

Google