PDA

View Full Version : ILS question

FredandBarney
August 23rd 06, 01:21 AM
If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find
out after departure what does it do for insurance on a
corporate or private jet?

Jose[_1_]
August 23rd 06, 01:35 AM
> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find out after departure what does it do for insurance on a corporate or private jet?

The rates go up 13%, you are no longer covered for spilled soft drinks,
and any passengers need to be tossed out the window in order to retain
coverage.

Seriously, it depends on the policy. I can't imagine it would make any
difference. But there are a lot of things I can't imagine. :)

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

Bob Moore
August 23rd 06, 01:35 AM
FredandBarney wrote
> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find
> out after departure what does it do for insurance on a
> corporate or private jet?

What would be the effect if your IFR destination doesn't even
have an ILS? You would probably do a VOR Approach, or a GPS
Approach, or even, god forbid...an ADF Approach. Why would
the insurance company care?

Bob Moore

Peter R.
August 23rd 06, 02:11 AM
FredandBarney > wrote:

> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find
> out after departure what does it do for insurance on a
> corporate or private jet?

Localizer approach?

--
Peter

Jim Macklin
August 23rd 06, 02:43 AM
Nothing, it just reverts to a LOC approach and the minimums
go up. But it is still a legal airport and the insurance
coverage remains.

"FredandBarney" > wrote in
message ...
| If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you
find
| out after departure what does it do for insurance on a
| corporate or private jet?

David Cartwright
August 23rd 06, 04:20 PM
"FredandBarney" > wrote in message
> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find out after
> departure what does it do for insurance on a corporate or private jet?

Can't see that the lack of availability of an approach/landing aid would
have any effect on your insurance - after all, I don't know any insurance
policies that state: "Aircraft may only be landed at airfields with
precision approach equipment". So long as whatever approach you conduct,
using whatever tools are available to you, is an accepted, published
approach, and the flight is made in conditions for which the pilot(s) is/are
licensed, I'd have thought there would be no insurance issue.

D.

Sam Spade
August 23rd 06, 04:24 PM
FredandBarney wrote:

> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find out after
> departure what does it do for insurance on a corporate or private jet?

What is the affect on your auto insurance for driving on a two-lane road
rather than an Interstate?

Matt Whiting
August 23rd 06, 04:27 PM
Sam Spade wrote:

> FredandBarney wrote:
>
>> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find out after
>> departure what does it do for insurance on a corporate or private jet?
>

> What is the affect on your auto insurance for driving on a two-lane road
> rather than an Interstate?

I don't know of any effect, but where you drive mostly does affect
insurance rates. Check city vs. suburban vs. rural rates. They are
often quite different.

Matt

Sam Spade
August 23rd 06, 04:49 PM
Matt Whiting wrote:
> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>> FredandBarney wrote:
>>
>>> If a Glide Slope is OTS at your IFR destination and you find out
>>> after departure what does it do for insurance on a corporate or
>>> private jet?
>>

>> What is the affect on your auto insurance for driving on a two-lane
>> road rather than an Interstate?
>

> I don't know of any effect, but where you drive mostly does affect
> insurance rates. Check city vs. suburban vs. rural rates. They are
> often quite different.
>
> Matt
That has been ruled illegal in California. Accident/ticket record and
miles driven annually are the variables now.

Robert M. Gary
August 24th 06, 05:14 AM
Thank goodness we have the state gov't. Without them could you imagine
all the insurance companies running around with their heads cut off not
knowing how to price policies. Its good to see the state jump in with
their super abilities.

-Robert

Sam Spade wrote:
> Matt Whiting wrote:
> That has been ruled illegal in California. Accident/ticket record and
> miles driven annually are the variables now.

tscottme
August 24th 06, 12:35 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thank goodness we have the state gov't. Without them could you imagine
> all the insurance companies running around with their heads cut off not
> knowing how to price policies. Its good to see the state jump in with
> their super abilities.
>
> -Robert

Not to mention they protect the public from unregulated psychics,
substandard feng shui practicioners, and unlicensed pet psychologists.

--

Scott

Sam Spade
August 25th 06, 02:19 AM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> Thank goodness we have the state gov't. Without them could you imagine
> all the insurance companies running around with their heads cut off not
> knowing how to price policies. Its good to see the state jump in with
> their super abilities.

The California situation is because the voters passed an amendment to
the state constitution several years ago, which the insurance companies
fought tooth and nail until recently.

So, based on your sarcastic premise, democracy is not working.

150flivver
August 25th 06, 02:58 AM
Seems to me the drivers in California's rural areas will have their
insurance rates go up to subsidize the greater loss rates in the urban
areas. I'm sure all the urban drivers are happy.

Matt Whiting
August 25th 06, 04:29 AM
Sam Spade wrote:
> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> Sam Spade wrote:

>>> What is the affect on your auto insurance for driving on a two-lane
>>> road rather than an Interstate?
>>

>> I don't know of any effect, but where you drive mostly does affect
>> insurance rates. Check city vs. suburban vs. rural rates. They are
>> often quite different.
>>
>> Matt
>
> That has been ruled illegal in California. Accident/ticket record and
> miles driven annually are the variables now.

I'm not surprised as CA is a pretty stupid state. Given that thefts are
higher in most cities as are accident rates per mile driven, it only
makes sense that rates would be commensurately higher.

Matt

Jim Macklin
August 25th 06, 04:34 AM
Without the illegal Mexicans, any guess how many fewer cars
and trucks would be stolen and chopped in Mexico?

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Sam Spade wrote:
| > Matt Whiting wrote:

you find out
corporate or

on a two-lane

| >> I don't know of any effect, but where you drive mostly
does affect
| >> insurance rates. Check city vs. suburban vs. rural
rates. They are
| >> often quite different.
| >>
| >> Matt
| >
| > That has been ruled illegal in California.
Accident/ticket record and
| > miles driven annually are the variables now.
|
| I'm not surprised as CA is a pretty stupid state. Given
that thefts are
| higher in most cities as are accident rates per mile
driven, it only
| makes sense that rates would be commensurately higher.
|
| Matt

Sam Spade
August 25th 06, 10:28 AM
150flivver wrote:

> Seems to me the drivers in California's rural areas will have their
> insurance rates go up to subsidize the greater loss rates in the urban
> areas. I'm sure all the urban drivers are happy.

It seems the jury is still out on that one. Some companies claim not so
(thus far).

It always seemed to me that driving record, miles driven, and zip code
were all valid underwriting factors. But, zip code is not politically
correct and big money convinced the mindless voters to change the state
consititution. Not unlike Native American gaming.

Sam Spade
August 25th 06, 10:33 AM
Matt Whiting wrote:

> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>> Matt Whiting wrote:

>>> I don't know of any effect, but where you drive mostly does affect
>>> insurance rates. Check city vs. suburban vs. rural rates. They are
>>> often quite different.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>

>> That has been ruled illegal in California. Accident/ticket record and
>> miles driven annually are the variables now.
>

> I'm not surprised as CA is a pretty stupid state. Given that thefts are
> higher in most cities as are accident rates per mile driven, it only
> makes sense that rates would be commensurately higher.
>
> Matt
Voters in California are no more stupid or intelligent than voters
elsewhere in this country. There is a lot of power in the ability of
the voters to amend the constitution. This process has worked well in
some cases, and in other cases big money (often on both sides of the
issue) put up giant smokescreens. People seldom read beyong what is fed
to them on television, whether it be in California or the other 49 states.

Now, if you want to say that American voters, as a group, are stupid in
all 50 states, you won't hear any disagreement from me. Not many states
permit the voters to amend the state constitution; at least that is what
they tell me on television. ;-)

Sam Spade
August 25th 06, 10:35 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:

> Without the illegal Mexicans, any guess how many fewer cars
> and trucks would be stolen and chopped in Mexico?

That cannot be discussed because it, like profiling Muslims at the
airport, is not politically correct. Having said that, the issue with
"undocument" drivers without insurance on the metro streets of
California is a far greater problem than the relative small percentage
of cars that disappear to our Good Neighbor's friendly country to our south.

thelasian
August 28th 06, 05:41 PM
Profiling people at airports? Lets play "Spot the Muslim/Terrorist"
shall we?

Here's a photo of one of Iran's top soccer stars - would you be able to

pick him out as a "Muslim" and therefore a potential terrorist who
should be profiled?
http://www.teammelli.com/Players/StatsAzizi.htm

Here's another Muslim - would you be able to spot him?
http://www.votolatino.com.ar/2003/fotos/catstevens.jpg

This fellow would obviously be entitled to a free pass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski

How about this fellow - oh he must REALLY be one of them sneaky
muslims, what with those dark swarthy looks. Why, he's even wearing
sheets!
http://www.mohandasgandhi.com/ghandi.jpg

Course, this fellow is arguably swarthy, but that's because his father
is Jamaican ( you know, Axis of Evil Jamaica?)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1731568.stm

How about this fellow - no problem letting him on board the airplane,
since he's neither a Muslim nor particularly swarthy
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/terrorism/carlos-2000.jpg
(Carlos the Jackal, FYI)

Hmm... Turbans, Beards, funny religious practices. Oh my! These fellows
and DEFINITELY muslims and should DEFINITELY be singled out!
http://www.pilgrimage-india.com/indian-religion/sikh-religion.html

And this guy - a Christian fellow named George. Nah, can't be a
terrorist. Let him on board without a second glance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Habash

Oh wait - what about this guy. Why, with all that red hair, he's
obviously Irish!
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/al-douri.htm

Yes the sooner we stick to profiling them suspiciously swarthy
"Muslim" people the safer we'll all be. Amen.

Sam Spade wrote:
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>
> > Without the illegal Mexicans, any guess how many fewer cars
> > and trucks would be stolen and chopped in Mexico?
> >

> That cannot be discussed because it, like profiling Muslims at the
> airport, is not politically correct. Having said that, the issue with
> "undocument" drivers without insurance on the metro streets of
> California is a far greater problem than the relative small percentage
> of cars that disappear to our Good Neighbor's friendly country to our south.

Jon Woellhaf
August 28th 06, 06:29 PM
Do you suppose profiling encompasses more than just looking at a person's
appearance?

"thelasian" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Profiling people at airports? Lets play "Spot the Muslim/Terrorist"
> shall we?

[links to terrorist looking allegedly nonterrorists deleted]

Sam Spade
August 28th 06, 07:39 PM
thelasian wrote:

> Profiling people at airports? Lets play "Spot the Muslim/Terrorist"
> shall we?
>
> Here's a photo of one of Iran's top soccer stars - would you be able to

I've heard all those defensive agruments before.

Plain and simple, the terrorists that are really after the west are all
religous fantatics. That hardly means that there are no other murderous
criminals that have, and will continue to, done bad things.

thelasian
August 30th 06, 06:30 PM
Sam Spade wrote:
> thelasian wrote:
>
> > Profiling people at airports? Lets play "Spot the Muslim/Terrorist"
> > shall we?
> >
> > Here's a photo of one of Iran's top soccer stars - would you be able to
> >
> I've heard all those defensive agruments before.
>
> Plain and simple, the terrorists that are really after the west are all
> religous fantatics. That hardly means that there are no other murderous
> criminals that have, and will continue to, done bad things.

Whatever - jsut answer the question: how can you "spot the Muslim"?

Sam Spade
September 2nd 06, 02:31 PM
thelasian wrote:
> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>>thelasian wrote:
>>

>>>Profiling people at airports? Lets play "Spot the Muslim/Terrorist"
>>>shall we?
>>>
>>>Here's a photo of one of Iran's top soccer stars - would you be able to
>>>

>>I've heard all those defensive agruments before.
>>
>>Plain and simple, the terrorists that are really after the west are all
>>religous fantatics. That hardly means that there are no other murderous
>>criminals that have, and will continue to, done bad things.
>

> Whatever - jsut answer the question: how can you "spot the Muslim"?

I am not an expert in profiling. I know it works, based on how some
other countries do it.

Google