PDA

View Full Version : Re: Canadian departure minimums?

Derrick Early
August 6th 04, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the reply. Where do you find the SID? Are they provided for
the larger airports?

Cheers,
Derrick

"David Megginson" > wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
Derrick Early wrote:

> I found the answer to my own question. The departure minimums are listed
on
> the airport diagram page.

Look at the SID first, if the airport has a SID. If the airport does not
have any published takeoff minima (i.e. it has no instrument approaches),
then you need at least 1/2 SM vis for fixed-wing planes and 1/4 SM for
rotorcraft (but it's up to you to evaluate obstacle clearance to see if you
need more).

All the best,

David

David Megginson
August 6th 04, 12:24 PM
Derrick Early wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. Where do you find the SID? Are they provided for
> the larger airports?

I'll assume that you're using a CAP (Canada Air Pilot) rather than the
Jepps, which I don't know. If you tell me which CAP you're using, I'll give
you a more useful example, but here's the listing for my home airport, CYOW
(Ottawa/Macdonald-Cartier):

- STAR: CYRIL SIX ARR
- STAR: LANRK ONE ARR
- STAR: OTTAWA FIVE ARR
- STAR: THURO EIGHT ARR
- STAR (RNAV): CAPITAL SIX ARR
- STAR (RNAV): DEANS TWO ARR
- STAR (RNAV): MEECH FOUR ARR
- STAR (RNAV): RIVER FOUR ARR
- NDB RWY 25 (GPS)
- VOR RWY 14 (GPS)
- LOC(BC) RWY 14
- LOC(BC) RWY 25
- ILS OR NDB RWY 07 (GPS)
- ILS OR NDB RWY 32 (GPS)
- SID (VECTOR): OTTAWA ONE DEP
- NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES
- AERODROME CHART
- TAXI CHART

It starts with the STARs, then the non-precision approaches, the precision
approaches, the SID(s), and the miscellaneous stuff at the end.

All the best,

David

Derrick Early
August 9th 04, 01:31 PM
Hi David,

Fredericton was fine. We arrived at around 2pm on a Friday. We cleared
customs with a phone call to CANPASS. The FBO called over a truck for us.
We were back up in the air in 40 to 50 min. I also think they have at least
one ILS maybe more. Have a great trip. Thank you again for the help.

Derrick Early wrote:

> Thank you David. I am using a CAP. I think it is number 7 for the
> Maritimes. I see that the SID appears right after the approaches. None
of
> the airports that I landed at last week had any SID's. The biggest
airport
> was Fredericton, NS.

I'll be flying out there for the first time the week after next, and will be
stopping in NB (probably Fredericton or Moncton, unless I get a better
suggestion) for a fuel stop before continuing on to NS. What did you think
of the Fredericton airport and the FBO you used?

Halifax will give you a good selection of STARs and SIDs in CAP 7, I think.

All the best,

David

David Megginson
August 9th 04, 01:43 PM
Derrick Early wrote:

> Fredericton was fine. We arrived at around 2pm on a Friday. We cleared
> customs with a phone call to CANPASS. The FBO called over a truck for us.
> We were back up in the air in 40 to 50 min. I also think they have at least
> one ILS maybe more. Have a great trip. Thank you again for the help.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards Moncton right now, just because
we'll be able to see the ocean before we land, so it won't seem like we have
us much ahead of us to Cape Breton. Still, it's good to know that
Fredericton is a decent option.

All the best,

David

Google