PDA

View Full Version : Current state of Seaplane fuel

Robert M. Gary
August 25th 06, 09:35 PM
I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is. When I started
flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs where boat fuel
was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs. Since avgas is so
rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what are people
doing today with regard to cross countries in straight floats?

-Robert

Doug[_1_]
August 25th 06, 10:13 PM
Things are pretty much the same as always. Barely enough places that
have fuel to make it cross country and pilots carry extra emergency
fuel in cans in the plane, just in case. You also have to call ahead
because not all these places are open that often. If you can use
"marine gas", that is a plus, but those boat docks are not exactly easy
to get into for a Seaplane.

Robert M. Gary wrote:
> I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is. When I started
> flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs where boat fuel
> was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs. Since avgas is so
> rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what are people
> doing today with regard to cross countries in straight floats?
>
> -Robert

Robert M. Gary
August 25th 06, 10:48 PM
Doug wrote:
> Things are pretty much the same as always. Barely enough places that
> have fuel to make it cross country and pilots carry extra emergency
> fuel in cans in the plane, just in case. You also have to call ahead
> because not all these places are open that often. If you can use
> "marine gas", that is a plus, but those boat docks are not exactly easy
> to get into for a Seaplane.

But "marine gas" would contain Ethanol like car gas, right? Would't it
be prohibited in aircraft?

Jim Macklin
August 25th 06, 11:35 PM
Some seaplane landing areas are near a land airport, you can
often call the FBO and they'll send a truck to where you've
beached or tied up.

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
| I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is.
When I started
| flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs
where boat fuel
| was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs. Since
avgas is so
| rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what
are people
| doing today with regard to cross countries in straight
floats?

| -Robert

nrp
August 26th 06, 03:31 AM
> But "marine gas" would contain Ethanol like car gas, right? Would't it
> be prohibited in aircraft?

Marine gas in Minnesota for example was once excluded from the ethanol
requirement. The dealers probably know. It is a pretty hot topic
everywhere it seems. Use the water test to verify.

Nathan Young
August 26th 06, 03:53 PM
On 25 Aug 2006 13:35:48 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

>I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is. When I started
>flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs where boat fuel
>was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs. Since avgas is so
>rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what are people
>doing today with regard to cross countries in straight floats?

I do not have any personal experience with floatplane flying, but
there was a great article a few months ago (I think in EAA's Sport
Aviation) about flying straight floats to Oshkosh.

It opened my eyes to how much difficulty floatplane pilots have
securing fuel on cross-countries.

Jim Macklin
August 26th 06, 04:49 PM
http://www.seaplanes.org/
They print a directory
http://www.seaplanes.org/services/wld.htm

"Nathan Young" > wrote in message
| On 25 Aug 2006 13:35:48 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
>
| wrote:
|
| >I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is.
When I started
| >flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs
where boat fuel
| >was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs.
Since avgas is so
| >rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what
are people
| >doing today with regard to cross countries in straight
floats?

| I do not have any personal experience with floatplane
flying, but
| there was a great article a few months ago (I think in
EAA's Sport
| Aviation) about flying straight floats to Oshkosh.
|
| It opened my eyes to how much difficulty floatplane pilots
have
| securing fuel on cross-countries.

Drew Dalgleish
August 28th 06, 11:11 PM
wrote:

>I'm curious what the current state of sea plane fuel is. When I started
>flying sea planes cross countries were planned to docs where boat fuel
>was available and most all seaplanes had mogas STCs. Since avgas is so
>rare on the water and seaplanes have such short legs what are people
>doing today with regard to cross countries in straight floats?
>
>-Robert

I have amphibs so that makes it a lot easier but in ontario it's not
too hard to find avgas on the water. Also most marinas sell premium
now for all the jet skis.

Robert M. Gary
August 28th 06, 11:25 PM
Drew Dalgleish wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2006 13:35:48 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
> wrote:

> I have amphibs so that makes it a lot easier but in ontario it's not
> too hard to find avgas on the water. Also most marinas sell premium
> now for all the jet skis.

In most of the U.S. "permium" fuel is illegal in aircraft because the
U.S. adds alcohol to the fuel to make the corn growers happy.

-Robert

Drew Dalgleish
August 29th 06, 03:18 AM
On 28 Aug 2006 15:25:02 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

>Drew Dalgleish wrote:
>> On 25 Aug 2006 13:35:48 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
>> wrote:
>
>> I have amphibs so that makes it a lot easier but in ontario it's not
>> too hard to find avgas on the water. Also most marinas sell premium
>> now for all the jet skis.
>
>In most of the U.S. "permium" fuel is illegal in aircraft because the
>U.S. adds alcohol to the fuel to make the corn growers happy.
>
>-Robert

I don't doubt that's true but just how many FAA inspectors are out
sitting on docks waiting for planes to fuel up? I think I understand
the problems with alcohol enough that I would just use what's
available.

August 29th 06, 07:36 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Drew Dalgleish > wrote:
: I don't doubt that's true but just how many FAA inspectors are out
: sitting on docks waiting for planes to fuel up? I think I understand
: the problems with alcohol enough that I would just use what's
: available.

... including the fact that the alcohol and its related byproducts and
additives are known to destroy certain carb floats, rubber hoses, seals, gaskets, and
attack aluminum? There is a reason not to run gasoline with alcohol in aircraft
beyond the simple, "It hasn't been tested." In many cases it *has* been tested and
*has* been found to be destructive to fuel system components.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Robert M. Gary
August 31st 06, 12:41 AM
Drew Dalgleish wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2006 15:25:02 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
> wrote:
> I don't doubt that's true but just how many FAA inspectors are out
> sitting on docks waiting for planes to fuel up? I think I understand
> the problems with alcohol enough that I would just use what's
> available.

For a long cross country I've wondered what would happen if you use
alcohol fuels enroute and then ran avgas for the last 30 minutes at
your destination if you'd run enough of the alcohol out of the system
that it doesn't eat your airplane's fuel system.

I've seen sea plane pilots fill the back of their truck with avgas from
the airport and truck it down to the pond.

-Robert

Drew Dalgleish
August 31st 06, 04:28 AM
On 30 Aug 2006 16:41:08 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

>Drew Dalgleish wrote:
>> On 28 Aug 2006 15:25:02 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
>> wrote:
>> I don't doubt that's true but just how many FAA inspectors are out
>> sitting on docks waiting for planes to fuel up? I think I understand
>> the problems with alcohol enough that I would just use what's
>> available.
>
>For a long cross country I've wondered what would happen if you use
>alcohol fuels enroute and then ran avgas for the last 30 minutes at
>your destination if you'd run enough of the alcohol out of the system
>that it doesn't eat your airplane's fuel system.
>
>I've seen sea plane pilots fill the back of their truck with avgas from
>the airport and truck it down to the pond.
>
>-Robert

That's exactly what I'm talking about I've used fuel with alcohol but
I wouldn't leave it sitting in my tanks.

M[_1_]
August 31st 06, 04:24 PM
Robert M. Gary wrote:

> In most of the U.S. "permium" fuel is illegal in aircraft because the
> U.S. adds alcohol to the fuel to make the corn growers happy.

That's a bit of overstatement. Gasoline sold in most of the areas of
U.S. are alcohol free, because the corn growers's lobby has been so
successful that they managed to legislate their product into areas
requiring oxygenated gasoline and that essentially used up all the
domestic ethanol production capacity. Wholesale ethanol price has been
higher than wholesale gasoline price, even with the subsidy, the last
few months. Domesticly made fuel were supposed to save us money, for
Pete's sake!

I think less than 20% of U.S. population living in areas where
oxygenated gasoline are required, and it covers less than 15% of the
area. Oil companies will be foolish to put this expensive stuff in
gasoline where it's not mandated.

Robert M. Gary
September 5th 06, 07:04 AM
M wrote:
> Robert M. Gary wrote:
> I think less than 20% of U.S. population living in areas where
> oxygenated gasoline are required, and it covers less than 15% of the
> area. Oil companies will be foolish to put this expensive stuff in
> gasoline where it's not mandated.

That's useful to know only if you carry a current guide to fuel
formulas with you. I know of no such guide. I'm not sure how you would
know what fuel was safe.

Google