PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know why AIR1 shows such a crazy flight path?

Ted[_1_]
August 26th 06, 06:10 PM
Check this out and let me know if you have any idea why this flight path is
so strange.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1

Here is a normal looking flight path

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA88

Robert Chambers
August 26th 06, 06:26 PM
That's pretty strange looking. My guess is that it's a bug in
flightaware, there's no way a helicopter could fly that kind of pattern
unless it refueled in the air and the pilot was a real steady hand on
the stick.

Ted wrote:
> Check this out and let me know if you have any idea why this flight path is
> so strange.
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1
>
> Here is a normal looking flight path
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA88

601XL Builder
August 26th 06, 06:32 PM
Ted wrote:
> Check this out and let me know if you have any idea why this flight path is
> so strange.
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1
>
> Here is a normal looking flight path
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA88

Gotta be a computer bug. According to the enroute log the helicopter has
been flying non stop for over 12 hours.

Probably a call sign error.

Robert M. Gary
August 26th 06, 07:26 PM
Its possible that they land, get fuel and take off again without
canceling IFR while down. Maybe not likely.
-Robert

Paul Tomblin
August 27th 06, 01:06 AM
In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" > said:
>Its possible that they land, get fuel and take off again without
>canceling IFR while down. Maybe not likely.

There's another flight there that shows that they flew from Oshawa to
Hawaii and back. No way a JetRanger could do that.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1/history/20060824/1450Z/CYOO/CYOO

Here's another that went half way to Hawaii and back in 1 hour and 2
minutes:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1/history/20060823/2316Z/CYOO/CYOO

Flightaware doesn't do well with flights in Canada.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Usenet is a co-operative venture, backed by nasty people -

Peter R.
August 27th 06, 01:14 AM
Ted > wrote:

> Check this out and let me know if you have any idea why this flight path is
> so strange.

I'll second the theory that this is probably the result of a callsign
overlap. For example, I am aware that there is a county sheriff Bell
Ranger helicopter that serves the central NY area who uses the callsign
"Air 1."

--
Peter

Allan9
August 31st 06, 04:29 AM
First question. Is AIR1 an approved call sign.
It sounds like a phoney to me
Al

"Ted" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Check this out and let me know if you have any idea why this flight path
> is so strange.
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIR1
>
> Here is a normal looking flight path
>
> http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA88