PDA

View Full Version : Rolls-Royce O-200?

August 30th 06, 02:05 AM
pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
etc?

I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

Thanks,
Ryan in Madison

(please also pardon the cross posting, I wanted to get as much input as
possible)

Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]
August 30th 06, 02:48 AM
> wrote in message
ps.com...

> pardon my ignorance...
> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
> etc?
>
> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> orphan engine.

Rolls-Royce built several Continental engines under license for many years.
I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but I don't think they'd be
considered orphan engines.

Dave Stadt
August 30th 06, 05:12 AM
They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> pardon my ignorance...
> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
> etc?
>
> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> orphan engine.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan in Madison
>
> (please also pardon the cross posting, I wanted to get as much input as
> possible)

Morgans[_4_]
August 30th 06, 05:44 AM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote in message
. net...

> They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
> end in RR.

Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Morgans[_4_]
August 30th 06, 05:48 AM
> wrote

> pardon my ignorance...
> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
> etc?
>
> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> orphan engine.

No, they are totally different, and you would have to make every single
part, from scratch.

I would advise you go ahead with buying the homebuilt, then _immediately_
switch engines, and ship the RR engine to me, for safe disposal. I promise
you will sleep better, with that off of you mind! <bfg>

Anything else I can help you with, please feel free to write! <g>
--
Jim in NC

August 30th 06, 05:58 AM
> I would advise you go ahead with buying the homebuilt, then _immediately_
> switch engines, and ship the RR engine to me, for safe disposal. I promise
> you will sleep better, with that off of you mind! <bfg>

- I will certainly keep that in mind...! you are sooo generous...;)

Take care,
Ryan

Emily[_1_]
August 30th 06, 06:00 AM
Morgans wrote:
> "Dave Stadt" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
>> end in RR.
>
> Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! <g>

Oh, come on...nothing wrong with Yank made engines!

Private
August 30th 06, 06:24 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Dave Stadt" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
>> end in RR.
>
> Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! <g>
> --
> Jim in NC

And you will need to find an AME named Nigel. <G>
And find a source for avpetrol. <G>

Vaughn Simon
August 30th 06, 12:18 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> pardon my ignorance...
> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?

Don't forget to carry your Whitworth wrenches in the plane with you, your
A&P is unlikely to have a set.

http://www.britishtool.com/socket.htm

(With a wink)
Vaughn

john smith
August 30th 06, 01:30 PM
> They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
> end in RR.

> > pardon my ignorance...
> > Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> > I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintenance,
> > etc?
> > I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> > orphan engine.

And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
to draw a crowd.

Dave Stadt
August 30th 06, 01:55 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
>> They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
>> end in RR.
>
>> > pardon my ignorance...
>> > Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
>> > I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintenance,
>> > etc?
>> > I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
>> > orphan engine.
>
> And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
> cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
> to draw a crowd.

Yep, mine are painted black with the RR logo in red.

Dan[_2_]
August 30th 06, 02:05 PM
Morgans wrote:
> > wrote
>
>> pardon my ignorance...
>> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
>> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
>> etc?
>>
>> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
>> orphan engine.
>
> No, they are totally different, and you would have to make every single
> part, from scratch.
>
> I would advise you go ahead with buying the homebuilt, then _immediately_
> switch engines, and ship the RR engine to me, for safe disposal. I promise
> you will sleep better, with that off of you mind! <bfg>
>
> Anything else I can help you with, please feel free to write! <g>

You, sir, are a true gentleman.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Montblack[_1_]
August 30th 06, 05:07 PM
("john smith" wrote)
> And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
> cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed to
> draw a crowd.

A Rolls-Royce (C125) in a 1946 Swift.

Three (OSH 2006) Yahoo Photos (link)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z19A239AD
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

<http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/landof10klakes/album?.dir=22edre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos>

Montblack

LJ
August 30th 06, 06:11 PM
Same engine made in France

wrote:
> pardon my ignorance...
> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
> etc?
>
> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> orphan engine.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan in Madison
>
> (please also pardon the cross posting, I wanted to get as much input as
> possible)

Dave Stadt
August 30th 06, 07:33 PM
"LJ" > wrote in message
. ..
> Same engine made in France

Across the channel in Crewe, England according to the data plate.

> wrote:
>> pardon my ignorance...
>> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
>> I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
>> etc?
>>
>> I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
>> orphan engine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ryan in Madison
>>
>> (please also pardon the cross posting, I wanted to get as much input as
>> possible)

Scott Skylane
August 30th 06, 09:38 PM
Montblack wrote:

> A Rolls-Royce (C125) in a 1946 Swift.
>
> Three (OSH 2006) Yahoo Photos (link)
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z19A239AD
> (Same link as below ...wait for it)
>
> <http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/landof10klakes/album?.dir=22edre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos>
>

> Montblack

Uh, gee, Mont, thanks for those great pics of that engine...

;>

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Morgans[_4_]
August 30th 06, 09:44 PM
> > I would advise you go ahead with buying the homebuilt, then
_immediately_
> > switch engines, and ship the RR engine to me, for safe disposal. I
promise
> > you will sleep better, with that off of you mind! <bfg>
> >
> > Anything else I can help you with, please feel free to write! <g>
>
> You, sir, are a true gentleman.

Why, thank you very much!

I try to be helpful, when I can! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Montblack[_1_]
August 30th 06, 10:46 PM
("Scott Skylane" wrote)
>> Three (OSH 2006) Yahoo Photos (link)
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z19A239AD
>> (Same link as below ...wait for it)

> Uh, gee, Mont, thanks for those great pics of that engine...

Well, that just isn't cricket. :-)

("john smith" wrote)
[And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed to
draw a crowd.]

With that RR decal, this guy didn't even need to prop open his cowling to
draw a crowd.

What [Rolls-Royce] decal?

Why, the one in the first photo!

"Smashing good play Monty."

"Elementary... Elementary."
<http://www.sherlockpeoria.net/Report_pages/EditorialArchives/Editorial1999-01.html>

Montblack
<http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/elementary-my-dear-watson.html>
"I like to watch"

Dana M. Hague
August 30th 06, 11:01 PM
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:30:59 GMT, john smith > wrote:

>And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
>cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
>to draw a crowd.

I remember seeing an A-65 (IIRC) on a small homebuilt biplane with
those valve covers. When I asked the pilot, he said it was really a
Continental, but he picked up the valve covers somewhere and put 'em
just to freak people out.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the *******s.

David Lesher
August 30th 06, 11:14 PM
"Vaughn Simon" > writes:

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>> pardon my ignorance...
>> Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?

> Don't forget to carry your Whitworth wrenches in the plane with you, your
>A&P is unlikely to have a set.

And do not ever fly when it's raining.....

--
A host is a host from coast to

john smith
August 30th 06, 11:56 PM
In article >,
Dana M. Hague <d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:30:59 GMT, john smith > wrote:
>
> >And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
> >cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
> >to draw a crowd.
>
> I remember seeing an A-65 (IIRC) on a small homebuilt biplane with
> those valve covers. When I asked the pilot, he said it was really a
> Continental, but he picked up the valve covers somewhere and put 'em
> just to freak people out.

A friend has done the same with his Cessna 170 engine.

Dan[_2_]
August 31st 06, 12:10 AM
Morgans wrote:
>>> I would advise you go ahead with buying the homebuilt, then
> _immediately_
>>> switch engines, and ship the RR engine to me, for safe disposal. I
> promise
>>> you will sleep better, with that off of you mind! <bfg>
>>>
>>> Anything else I can help you with, please feel free to write! <g>
>> You, sir, are a true gentleman.
>
> Why, thank you very much!
>
> I try to be helpful, when I can! <g>

Well, I can't let you assume the risk. It would be wrong of me to not
insist on such a challenge. Therefore I will accept the engine so as to
protect you from yourself.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

jerry
September 29th 06, 12:23 AM
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > pardon my ignorance...
> > Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
> > I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
> > etc?
> >
> > I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
> > orphan engine.
> >

> Rolls-Royce built several Continental engines under license for many years.
> I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but I don't think they'd be
> considered orphan engines.

I owned a Cessna about 20 years ago with a 0-200 RR engine. I believe
that Wag Aero, a Mr. Rick Wagner was selling them at that time. I asked
a rep at Continental motors if the engine was the same. Their reply was
all parts are interchangeable. As I recall I did have a A.D. on my
engine that required the oil pump gears to be inspected each annual.
This was only on the RR engines. I had to make a gage to insert into
the tack drive hole at the rear of the case to be able to do this. I
ran the engine several hundred hour and it was just great. Never had
any troubles at all.
Jerry

Google