PDA

View Full Version : supercharge TCM IO-550-N

kev sep
August 30th 06, 11:16 PM
Some may find this site use ful when considering engine upgrades

xx
http://www.forcedaeromotive.com/homebuilt.htm

Homebuilt Product Details

The FAT supercharger system is now available for the TCM I0-550-N for
homebuilt aircraft. The lightweight system is located right next to the
firewall for good C.G. and a compact fit. No cowling modifications should be
necessary and no modifications to the propeller shaft are necessary. The
supercharger offers excellent performance gains, and has unsurpassed
durability.

Technical Information:

The supercharger is belt driven off the accessory drive pad next to the
vacuum pump. It will run much cooler than a turbocharger and should result
in much lower maintenance costs. It will add 7-8000 feet of altitude
performance to the I0-550-N. Impeller speed is a function of engine RPM and
therefore over speed and bootstrapping are not considerations. There are no
MP fluctuations while adjusting the throttle, or mixture. Idle cool down
periods are not necessary.

Sea level power to 8500 feet.
77% power to 12, 500 feet, 65% power at 17,500 feet.
Efficient - uses approximately 4.0 horse power at cruise.
Light weight - 27 pounds.
Cool engine temperatures.
Easy pilot workload - no bootstrapping or overshoot.
No TIT to monitor.
No pre-shut down cool down required.
Easy installation - no modifications to exhaust system, fuel system, or
intake system passed the throttle body.
No engine-oil driven control systems.
No scavenge pump.
No waste gate.
Can be removed and the aircraft returned to the normally aspirated
configuration.

Matt Barrow
August 31st 06, 04:47 PM
"kev sep" > wrote in message
> Some may find this site use ful when considering engine upgrades
>
> xx
> http://www.forcedaeromotive.com/homebuilt.htm
>
> Homebuilt Product Details
>
> The FAT supercharger system is now available for the TCM I0-550-N for
> homebuilt aircraft. The lightweight system is located right next to the
> firewall for good C.G. and a compact fit. No cowling modifications should
> be
> necessary and no modifications to the propeller shaft are necessary. The
> supercharger offers excellent performance gains, and has unsurpassed
> durability.
>
> Technical Information:
>
> The supercharger is belt driven off the accessory drive pad next to the
> vacuum pump. It will run much cooler than a turbocharger and should result
> in much lower maintenance costs. It will add 7-8000 feet of altitude
> performance to the I0-550-N. Impeller speed is a function of engine RPM
> and
> therefore over speed and bootstrapping are not considerations. There are
> no
> MP fluctuations while adjusting the throttle, or mixture. Idle cool down
> periods are not necessary.
>
> Sea level power to 8500 feet.
> 77% power to 12, 500 feet, 65% power at 17,500 feet.

Gee...my turbonormalized IO-550 get SL power to 20,000 feet.

And it's STC'ed.

Frank Stutzman
August 31st 06, 06:16 PM
Matt Barrow > wrote:

>> Sea level power to 8500 feet.
>> 77% power to 12, 500 feet, 65% power at 17,500 feet.
>
> Gee...my turbonormalized IO-550 get SL power to 20,000 feet.
>
> And it's STC'ed.

And your system is at least $30,000 more expensive.

(Assuming you've got a Tornado Alley turbonormalizer)
--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Matt Barrow
September 1st 06, 02:43 AM
"Frank Stutzman" > wrote in message
> Matt Barrow > wrote:
>
>>> Sea level power to 8500 feet.
>>> 77% power to 12, 500 feet, 65% power at 17,500 feet.
>>
>> Gee...my turbonormalized IO-550 get SL power to 20,000 feet.
>>
>> And it's STC'ed.
>
> And your system is at least $30,000 more expensive.
>
> (Assuming you've got a Tornado Alley turbonormalizer)
> --
> Frank Stutzman
> Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
> Hood River, OR

Yes, it is expensive...and having to cross 14,000 foot mountain ranges to
get anywhere, it damn well worth it. Pretty nice being able to cruise at
12,500 over the flat lands, though, at upwards of 190 kts.

What is the normal rated power of the IO-550 at 12,500, such that this
device is boosting it to 77%?

--
Matt

Google