PDA

View Full Version : New GNS 530 getting very hot - Is this normal ?

Roy N5804F[_1_]
August 31st 06, 11:14 PM
We just had a complete refit of our Piper Archers avionic stack and
collected it from the avionic installers.
We had a two hour flight back to our base and the new equipment performed
very well.
The only issue, is that the 530 got really hot and I wondered what
experience others have the GNS530 ?
I have asked the installers if this is normal.

So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Thanks for all input,

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

jbskies
September 1st 06, 07:16 AM
Roy N5804F wrote:
> So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Yes. When I touch the black frame over the GNS530 after a flight. You
can feel the heat. It is kind of hot. My GNS530 has been installed
for over 6 years, never had problem.

jbskies

Doug Vetter
September 1st 06, 12:22 PM
Roy N5804F wrote:
<snip>
> So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Yes, and it's normal. It's a result of the backlighting. At night when
I manually turn the backlighting down to 250 or so, the face of the unit
is cool to the touch.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

Peter R.
September 2nd 06, 04:39 AM
Roy N5804F > wrote:

> So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

You may want to ask your avionics tech to investigate this to see if there
is anything that can be done to reduce the heat. Last year I discovered
my Garmin transponder, a GTX330, was getting too hot to touch and I
mentioned this to a local shop tech.

They took a look behind the glare shield and discovered that my avionics
cooling fan had one more available port so the hooked up a hose from the
fan to the transponder. In doing so, they were able to significantly
reduced the heat thrown off by the unit.

--
Peter

Google