PDA

View Full Version : C182 overhaul

Chris
September 8th 06, 05:51 AM
I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is
my friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that.
We do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed
with the regular maintenance.

Thanks
Chris, NM

Ross Richardson[_2_]
September 8th 06, 03:49 PM
Chris wrote:
> I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is
> my friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
> experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
> engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
> recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that.
> We do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed
> with the regular maintenance.
>
> Thanks
> Chris, NM
It's not a C-182, but in 2001 we changed out the Lyc O-360 in my '65
Skyhawk. I elected to get a factory OH replacement. I received full core
value on my old engine that was at TBO and running fine. We pulled the
engine since 1) it was near TBO, and 2) the condition of the oil pump
gears was unknown. I have been very happy with the engine. At the same
time I sent the wet vacuum pump out for overhaul. During the OH the
complete firewall forward was cleaned up and organized. The old engine
had been installed in ~1977. Only issue I remember was mounting the
engine to the Dynafocal mounts. Just took a lot of time aligning the
engine. It now has about 200 hours on it.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Ronnie
September 8th 06, 04:39 PM
The company Texas Skyways has a good reputation for
Cessna 182 work and mods. I've read several good articles
about them. No personal experience, however. They are
located at Bourne Stage Field, just W / NW of San Antonio, TX.

Ronnie

http://www.txskyways.com/

"Chris" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is my
>friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
>experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
>engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
>recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that. We
>do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed with the
>regular maintenance.
>
> Thanks
> Chris, NM

Newps
September 8th 06, 05:13 PM
No question the best thing to do is the Pponk upgrade. You end up with
275 hp and the cost is pretty close to the same as a factory overhaul.
Avoid Continental cylinders like the plague. Best cylinder is the
ECI's, second best is the Milleniums although the Pponk people really
don't want to sell you those as they do not stand behind their cylinders
for warantee work.

Chris wrote:
> I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is
> my friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
> experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
> engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
> recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that.
> We do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed
> with the regular maintenance.
>
> Thanks
> Chris, NM

DL
September 8th 06, 11:11 PM
I've been very happy with an exchange O470-L that I did with America's
Aircraft engines in Oklahoma 400+ hours ago. If you happen to put in a
Sky-tec starter, be sure its part number ends in a "3", not a "1". e-mail
me if you want further details; remove the capital letters and/or anti-spam
stuff in the e-mail id.

DL

"Chris" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is my
>friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
>experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
>engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
>recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that. We
>do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed with the
>regular maintenance.
>
> Thanks
> Chris, NM

BTIZ
September 9th 06, 12:41 AM
there is a very good overhaul shop in Las Vegas NV
he's not on airport, but your mechanics can do the remove, ship, and replace
let me know and I'll forward the information

BT

"Chris" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is my
>friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
>experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
>engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
>recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that. We
>do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed with the
>regular maintenance.
>
> Thanks
> Chris, NM

Tri-Pacer[_1_]
September 9th 06, 02:49 AM
..
> Avoid Continental cylinders like the plague. Best cylinder is the ECI's,
> second best is the Milleniums although the Pponk people really

Are those the ECI's with the 800 hour throw away AD? And if you used the ECI
cylinders, would you specify the ECI throw away connecting rods also?

Mike Adams[_2_]
September 9th 06, 05:58 AM
Chris > wrote:

> I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966)

If you're not already a member, join CPA. There's a wealth of information on their forums. The subject of
182 overhaul options is discussed frequently. Lots of fans of the Pponk, Texas Skyways, and other
options.

Mike

Google