PDA

View Full Version : GNS 480 means no GNS 430 upgrade ?

Scott Moore
September 2nd 04, 07:26 AM
Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the 430)
spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.

Thomas Borchert
September 2nd 04, 10:00 AM
Scott,

> Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the 430)
> spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

Why should it? The 480 is NOT a WAAS-capable version of the 430, it is the CNX-80
bought from UPSAT.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Dave S
September 2nd 04, 12:36 PM
The 480 is NOT a version of the 430. It was an independently developed
platform made by the company formerly known as Appollo, now formerly
known as UPS Aviation Technologies, and then sold to Garmin.

If anything, I would expect the 430/530 line to get preferential
treatment over the 480 line, since the former was Garmin's to begin
with, and not an aquisition like the latter.

Dave

Scott Moore wrote:
> Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of
> the 430)
> spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

Mike Rapoport
September 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things to
sell us.

Mike
MU-2

"Scott Moore" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the
430)
> spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?
>
> --
> Samiam is Scott A. Moore
>
> Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
> My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
> ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
> Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
> The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185
Pascal
> compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas
>
> Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
> The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.

Maik
September 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
better wx would be nice, at least in our area (northern Germany), but I
don't think that this will depend on the faster processor.
And also airways are just a rumor and I don't believe in rumors.

here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
-----------------------snip------------------------------------------
The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
quarter 2005. It will involve replacing the motherboard,
microprocessor, GPS engine, and GPS antenna. Basically you will be
getting an entirely new unit, minus the outside hardware. The cost of
$1,500 is for parts, labor, and re-certification of the unit. I
apologize if you were informed that the upgrade would only involve a
software change at no cost.

We will also be upgrading the 500 series units with both certified
TAWS-B ($7,995) and uncertified terrain awareness ($500) by the end of
2004. This will involve the unit coming back to the factory for the
upgrade.
-------------snap---------------

no weather, no airways, but a lot of money and again LATER. first time
Garmin talked about a release date for Waas it should come in 2002.
I think Garmin is at least regading the 400/500 series more like Atari
in the past.

They always wrote in there letters about the new computer "really soon
now" and this over years...

I think if you really need Waas I would switch to the new GNS480 aka
CNX-80. Newer design, airways and a faster processor :-)

Maik

Mike Rapoport wrote:
> No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
> allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things to
> sell us.
>
> Mike
> MU-2
>
> "Scott Moore" > wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the
>
> 430)
>
>>spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?
>>
>>--
>>Samiam is Scott A. Moore
>>
>>Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
>>My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
>>ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
>>Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
>>The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185
>
> Pascal
>
>>compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas
>>
>>Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
>>The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.

Dave Butler
September 2nd 04, 10:09 PM
Maik wrote:

> here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
> -----------------------snip------------------------------------------
> The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
> quarter 2005.

This is on-the-record information from Garmin? That's the first time I've seen
the 2Q2005 date. Their press-release announced 4Q2004. I don't see anything on
Garmin's web site to indicate the date has changed. In fact, the June 2003 press
release giving the 4Q2004 date is still on their website:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html

"Garmin is committed to offering WAAS upgrades for the 400/500 series and plans
to provide the benefits of WAAS on these products for less than $1,500 by the
end of 2004. This upgrade must also be completed at Garmin's overhaul facilities
in the U.S. and U.K."

Would you mind sharing the source and context of the above quoted email?

Mike Rapoport
September 3rd 04, 01:54 AM
There will be a better Wx solution coming after WAAS and the processor
upgrade will enable airways (don't actually know if airways will be part of
the upgrade).

Mike
MU-2

"Maik" > wrote in message
> better wx would be nice, at least in our area (northern Germany), but I
> don't think that this will depend on the faster processor.
> And also airways are just a rumor and I don't believe in rumors.
>
> here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
> -----------------------snip------------------------------------------
> The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
> quarter 2005. It will involve replacing the motherboard,
> microprocessor, GPS engine, and GPS antenna. Basically you will be
> getting an entirely new unit, minus the outside hardware. The cost of
> $1,500 is for parts, labor, and re-certification of the unit. I
> apologize if you were informed that the upgrade would only involve a
> software change at no cost.
>
> We will also be upgrading the 500 series units with both certified
> TAWS-B ($7,995) and uncertified terrain awareness ($500) by the end of
> 2004. This will involve the unit coming back to the factory for the
> upgrade.
> -------------snap---------------
>
> no weather, no airways, but a lot of money and again LATER. first time
> Garmin talked about a release date for Waas it should come in 2002.
> I think Garmin is at least regading the 400/500 series more like Atari
> in the past.
>
> They always wrote in there letters about the new computer "really soon
> now" and this over years...
>
> I think if you really need Waas I would switch to the new GNS480 aka
> CNX-80. Newer design, airways and a faster processor :-)
>
> Maik
>
> Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
> > allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things
> > sell us.
> >
> > Mike
> > MU-2
> >
> > "Scott Moore" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of
the

> > 430)
> >
> >>spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Samiam is Scott A. Moore
> >>
> >>Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
> >>My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
> >>ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site:
http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
> >>Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
> >>The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185
> >
> > Pascal
> >
> >>compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas
> >>
> >>Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
> >>The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.

Thomas Borchert
September 3rd 04, 07:57 AM
Maik,

> better wx would be nice,

Any weather at all would be nice, for Europe.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Maik
September 3rd 04, 08:50 AM
yes, wxworx via xmradio. another box for extra money and not available
in europe... well available, but not useful I meant.

but no weather thingy included in the 400/500.
also in my opinion the display of the 400/500 is not really good for
weather info. not enough colors!

maik

Mike Rapoport wrote:

> There will be a better Wx solution coming after WAAS and the processor
> upgrade will enable airways (don't actually know if airways will be part of
> the upgrade).
>
> Mike
> MU-2
>

> "Maik" > wrote in message
>
>>better wx would be nice, at least in our area (northern Germany), but I
>>don't think that this will depend on the faster processor.
>>And also airways are just a rumor and I don't believe in rumors.
>>
>>here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
>>-----------------------snip------------------------------------------
>>The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
>>quarter 2005. It will involve replacing the motherboard,
>>microprocessor, GPS engine, and GPS antenna. Basically you will be
>>getting an entirely new unit, minus the outside hardware. The cost of
>>$1,500 is for parts, labor, and re-certification of the unit. I
>>apologize if you were informed that the upgrade would only involve a
>>software change at no cost.
>>
>>We will also be upgrading the 500 series units with both certified
>>TAWS-B ($7,995) and uncertified terrain awareness ($500) by the end of
>>2004. This will involve the unit coming back to the factory for the
>>upgrade.
>>-------------snap---------------
>>
>>no weather, no airways, but a lot of money and again LATER. first time
>>Garmin talked about a release date for Waas it should come in 2002.
>>I think Garmin is at least regading the 400/500 series more like Atari
>>in the past.
>>
>>They always wrote in there letters about the new computer "really soon
>>now" and this over years...
>>
>>I think if you really need Waas I would switch to the new GNS480 aka
>>CNX-80. Newer design, airways and a faster processor :-)
>>
>>Maik
>>
>>Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>
>>>No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
>>>allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things

>>>sell us.
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>MU-2
>>>
>>>"Scott Moore" > wrote in message

> the
>
>>>430)

> http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal

>>>Pascal

Maik
September 3rd 04, 08:52 AM
you will think of me, when they declare the later date.

it was a snip from an employee from Garmin.
ask them by yourself.

maik

Dave Butler wrote:

> Maik wrote:
>
>> here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
>> -----------------------snip------------------------------------------
>> The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
>> quarter 2005.
>

> This is on-the-record information from Garmin? That's the first time
> I've seen the 2Q2005 date. Their press-release announced 4Q2004. I don't
> see anything on Garmin's web site to indicate the date has changed. In
> fact, the June 2003 press release giving the 4Q2004 date is still on
> their website:
>
> http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html
>
> "Garmin is committed to offering WAAS upgrades for the 400/500 series
> and plans to provide the benefits of WAAS on these products for less
> than $1,500 by the end of 2004. This upgrade must also be completed at
> Garmin's overhaul facilities in the U.S. and U.K."
>
> Would you mind sharing the source and context of the above quoted email?

Dave Butler
September 3rd 04, 01:47 PM
Maik wrote:
> you will think of me, when they declare the later date.
>
> it was a snip from an employee from Garmin.
> ask them by yourself.

I sent a query to Garmin. I'll post whatever information I get. Dave

> maik
>
> Dave Butler wrote:
>
>> Maik wrote:
>>
>>> here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
>>> -----------------------snip------------------------------------------
>>> The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
>>> quarter 2005.
>>

>> This is on-the-record information from Garmin? That's the first time
>> I've seen the 2Q2005 date. Their press-release announced 4Q2004. I
>> don't see anything on Garmin's web site to indicate the date has
>> changed. In fact, the June 2003 press release giving the 4Q2004 date
>> is still on their website:
>>
>> http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html
>>
>> "Garmin is committed to offering WAAS upgrades for the 400/500 series
>> and plans to provide the benefits of WAAS on these products for less
>> than $1,500 by the end of 2004. This upgrade must also be completed at
>> Garmin's overhaul facilities in the U.S. and U.K."
>>
>> Would you mind sharing the source and context of the above quoted email?

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Dave Butler
September 3rd 04, 04:30 PM
Dave Butler wrote:
> Maik wrote:
>
>> you will think of me, when they declare the later date.
>>
>> it was a snip from an employee from Garmin.
>> ask them by yourself.
>

> I sent a query to Garmin. I'll post whatever information I get. Dave

As promised, here's the response I got from my query sent to
:
-----------------
"Thanks for your inquiry.

You are right. We haven't updated that press release from June 2003 yet. Thanks
for bringing that to our attention. According to my supervisor the WAAS update
is currently scheduled for the Summer of 2005. We will be updating the press
release in the near future.

Best Regards"
-----------------

Maik
September 3rd 04, 05:42 PM
"Really soon now" :-)

Anyway, actually waas is not interesting for us in Europe. Maybe in a
few years...

Satellite weather would be more interesting right now...

... anybody heard anything about that for Europe?

Maik

Dave Butler wrote:
> Dave Butler wrote:
>
>> Maik wrote:
>>
>>> you will think of me, when they declare the later date.
>>>
>>> it was a snip from an employee from Garmin.
>>> ask them by yourself.
>>

>> I sent a query to Garmin. I'll post whatever information I get. Dave
>

> As promised, here's the response I got from my query sent to
> :
> -----------------
> "Thanks for your inquiry.
>
> You are right. We haven't updated that press release from June 2003 yet.
> Thanks for bringing that to our attention. According to my supervisor
> the WAAS update is currently scheduled for the Summer of 2005. We will
> be updating the press release in the near future.
>
> Best Regards"
> -----------------

Dave Butler
September 3rd 04, 06:05 PM
Maik wrote:
> "Really soon now" :-)
>
> Anyway, actually waas is not interesting for us in Europe. Maybe in a
> few years...

I think you could say the same for US as well. It doesn't offer much additional
capability currently. Maybe in a few years...

John R. Copeland
September 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
"Really soon now", indeed!
I think the software version 2.0 for the CNX80/GNS-480 is very near,
because they are down to merely 1-month postponements at a time.
In August, they moved it from the end of August to the end of September.
I'm now hopeful we'll see it definitely before the end of 2004.
---JRC---

"Maik" > wrote in message =
> "Really soon now" :-)
>=20
>=20
> Maik
>=20

Dave Butler
September 3rd 04, 07:48 PM
John R. Copeland wrote:
> "Really soon now", indeed!
> I think the software version 2.0 for the CNX80/GNS-480 is very near,
> because they are down to merely 1-month postponements at a time.
> In August, they moved it from the end of August to the end of September.
> I'm now hopeful we'll see it definitely before the end of 2004.

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't out yet. This is the software that enables VNAV
approaches, correct?

I naively assumed that it was in the 480. I should know better than to assume.

Roy Smith
September 3rd 04, 08:10 PM
In article >,
Dave Butler > wrote:

> John R. Copeland wrote:
> > "Really soon now", indeed!
> > I think the software version 2.0 for the CNX80/GNS-480 is very near,
> > because they are down to merely 1-month postponements at a time.
> > In August, they moved it from the end of August to the end of September.
> > I'm now hopeful we'll see it definitely before the end of 2004.
>
> Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't out yet. This is the software that enables
> VNAV
> approaches, correct?
>
> I naively assumed that it was in the 480. I should know better than to
> assume.

The GNS-480 isn't out yet. The Garmin web site says it's expected to be
available September 2004, which is now, so I guess that counts as Real
Soon Now.

My understanding is that the GNS-480 is exactly a CNX-80 with the
version 2 software. There's a SB out for a mod to the CNX-80 to keep it
from spontaneously combusting. I assume the -480 has that change
incorportated too :-)

Ron Rosenfeld
September 4th 04, 04:05 AM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:10:53 -0400, Roy Smith > wrote:

>My understanding is that the GNS-480 is exactly a CNX-80 with the
>version 2 software. There's a SB out for a mod to the CNX-80 to keep it
>from spontaneously combusting. I assume the -480 has that change
>incorportated too :-)

Based on a conversation with Garmin: The spontaneous combustion has never
occurred in "the field". It was something they produced in their lab
testing; but they feel it is a possibility in an extremely hot environment.

The V2 software is supposed to be ready the end of September. However, I
am told that this software upgrade must be done at the factory, as the FAA
wants them to test the units after this particular software modification.

--ron

Google