PDA

View Full Version : IO-540 prebuy - oil on some plugs

September 14th 06, 02:03 AM
Hi:

Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports a
couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. Compressions are good,
engine runs good. Mechanic doesn't seem too upset by it. Says that is
normal for this type engine. Should I be concerned?

September 14th 06, 02:21 AM
On 13 Sep 2006 18:03:13 -0700, wrote:

If there is "oil on plugs", unless a valve is leaking, the compression
will tend to be "good". The oil helps keep the air from squeezing out
the bottom.

The working Aztrucks that I allegedly used to maintain would start
pumping oil throught the I-valve guides around at 1500-1700 hours.
Often by 1800-1900 hours the plugs would need cleaned at least every
50 hours to keep them from fouling out.

Compressions stayed right up there...

It's not going to cause the engine to stop/aircraft to fall out the
sky-I would have to agree that it is "normal", but would be cause
enough for me to ask for something off the asking price.

TC

>Hi:
>
>Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports a
>couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. Compressions are good,
>engine runs good. Mechanic doesn't seem too upset by it. Says that is
>normal for this type engine. Should I be concerned?

Ray Andraka
September 14th 06, 02:55 AM
wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports a
> couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. Compressions are good,
> engine runs good. Mechanic doesn't seem too upset by it. Says that is
> normal for this type engine. Should I be concerned?

The -260 has an O-540-E4B5, not an IO-540. Either you have the engine
wrong or the horsepower wrong (the -300 has an IO-540, I think it is a
K1AD).

September 14th 06, 03:06 AM
Your right, sorry.

Ray Andraka wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports a
> > couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. Compressions are good,
> > engine runs good. Mechanic doesn't seem too upset by it. Says that is
> > normal for this type engine. Should I be concerned?
> >

> The -260 has an O-540-E4B5, not an IO-540. Either you have the engine
> wrong or the horsepower wrong (the -300 has an IO-540, I think it is a
> K1AD).

Mike Noel
September 14th 06, 06:02 AM
My O-360-A1A sometimes shows a light film of oil on one or more of the
bottom spark plugs but never any on the top plugs. From what I have read
this is a pretty normal situation. Oil on the top plugs can be cause for
concern.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi:
>
> Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports a
> couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. Compressions are good,
> engine runs good. Mechanic doesn't seem too upset by it. Says that is
> normal for this type engine. Should I be concerned?

Frank Ch. Eigler
September 16th 06, 03:26 AM
writes:

> Looking at a PA32-260, with a IO-540 in it, 1500smoh. Prebuy reports
> a couple cylinders in which there is oil on plugs. [...]

Amongst other causes, this can indicate rather worn piston rings. The
situation can worsen to the point where pre-takeoff fouling occurs all
the time, and cylinder repair or overhaul becomes necessary.

- FChE

Google