PDA

View Full Version : Flight Plan Equiment Codes?

Mitty
September 19th 06, 04:11 PM
A friend just asked me what code to file with his KNS-80 RNAV. I told him that
I thought it was /I but that I usually filed /A with a KNS-80 because I didn't
want ATC to surprise me with an RNAV approach or some kind of weird RNAV
routing. (I don't use a KNS-80 often enough to be really comfortable with it.)

Then we found:

http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP06AUG31/gen05003.htm

Which is a new chart "Effective September 1, 2005" and it looks like good old
slant alpha is gone and I should now be filing slant uniform in a vanilla
airplane w. just mode c and dme. Is that right? Did the codes change while I
wasn't looking?

Jose[_1_]
September 19th 06, 04:17 PM
> http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP06AUG31/gen05003.htm
>
> Which is a new chart "Effective September 1, 2005" and it looks like good old slant alpha is gone and I should now be filing slant uniform in a vanilla airplane w. just mode c and dme. Is that right? Did the codes change while I wasn't looking?

The codes changed, but /A is still there. In the table, there is a section for NO DME (/X, /T, /U) and a section for DME (/D, /B, /A)

/A is for DME with mode C.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.

Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]
September 19th 06, 04:21 PM
"Mitty" > wrote in message

>A friend just asked me what code to file with his KNS-80 RNAV. I told him
>that I thought it was /I but that I usually filed /A with a KNS-80 because
>I didn't want ATC to surprise me with an RNAV approach or some kind of
>weird RNAV routing. (I don't use a KNS-80 often enough to be really
>comfortable with it.)
>
> Then we found:
>
> http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP06AUG31/gen05003.htm
>
> Which is a new chart "Effective September 1, 2005" and it looks like good
> old slant alpha is gone and I should now be filing slant uniform in a
> vanilla airplane w. just mode c and dme. Is that right? Did the codes
> change while I wasn't looking?

/A is still there, it still means transponder with Mode C and DME. Check
the chart at the bottom of the page, sixth suffix code from the top. /I
would be the proper code for transponder with Mode C and VOR/DME RNAV.

Mitty
September 19th 06, 08:27 PM
Thanks. I was reading the chart wrong. when I saw:

/A Transponder with Mode C
TACAN ONLY

I thought the TACAN ONLY line went with the /A. Now it is obvious that line is
the title for the next subsection.

On 9/19/2006 10:21 AM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:
> "Mitty" > wrote in message
>> A friend just asked me what code to file with his KNS-80 RNAV. I told him
>> that I thought it was /I but that I usually filed /A with a KNS-80 because
>> I didn't want ATC to surprise me with an RNAV approach or some kind of
>> weird RNAV routing. (I don't use a KNS-80 often enough to be really
>> comfortable with it.)
>>
>> Then we found:
>>
>> http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP06AUG31/gen05003.htm
>>
>> Which is a new chart "Effective September 1, 2005" and it looks like good
>> old slant alpha is gone and I should now be filing slant uniform in a
>> vanilla airplane w. just mode c and dme. Is that right? Did the codes
>> change while I wasn't looking?
>>

> /A is still there, it still means transponder with Mode C and DME. Check
> the chart at the bottom of the page, sixth suffix code from the top. /I
> would be the proper code for transponder with Mode C and VOR/DME RNAV.

Google