PDA

View Full Version : Garmin SL30 COMM problem?

No Spam
September 28th 06, 03:03 AM
I was pulling the avionics boxes to verify serial numbers and now I've got a
problem with my SL30.

At first, it was dead so I re-racked it. That got it to power up, but now I
can't transmit or received on it.

The NAV side works fine, but the data to the external OBS may be screwed up.

What have I done? What can I do?

TIA,

-> Kino

KP
September 28th 06, 03:27 AM
The radio is not going all the way back in the rack!

No Spam wrote:
> I was pulling the avionics boxes to verify serial numbers and now I've got a
> problem with my SL30.
>
> At first, it was dead so I re-racked it. That got it to power up, but now I
> can't transmit or received on it.
>
> The NAV side works fine, but the data to the external OBS may be screwed up.
>
> What have I done? What can I do?
>
> TIA,
>
> -> Kino

No Spam
September 28th 06, 03:39 AM
On 9/27/06 21:27, "KP" > wrote:

> The radio is not going all the way back in the rack!
>
> No Spam wrote:
>> I was pulling the avionics boxes to verify serial numbers and now I've got a
>> problem with my SL30.
>>
>> At first, it was dead so I re-racked it. That got it to power up, but now I
>> can't transmit or received on it.
>>
>> The NAV side works fine, but the data to the external OBS may be screwed up.
>>
>> What have I done? What can I do?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> -> Kino

It's fully seated.

Anybody got something useful?

-> Kino

mikem
September 28th 06, 05:49 AM
No Spam wrote:
> On 9/27/06 21:27, "KP" > wrote:
>
> > The radio is not going all the way back in the rack!
> It's fully seated.
>
> Anybody got something useful?
>
> -> Kino

Dont be so quick. If the goon who installed the tray in the rack didn't
support both rear corners of the tray, then the tray sags, and when you
engage the jackscrew and use it to pull the radio into the tray, either
the floating BNC or some of the pins in the rear connector get bent. To
all appearances, the radio appears to seat.

I have also seen the rear of the tray get bent by the pressure from the
jackscrew if something doesnt align and a hamfisted person cranks the
jackscrew anyway...

Ron Natalie
September 28th 06, 12:14 PM
No Spam wrote:
> On 9/27/06 21:27, "KP" > wrote:
>
>> The radio is not going all the way back in the rack!

Pull it out again and look at the connectors. Something
is bent or otherwise not mating properly.

You do know that "pulling things to verify serial numbers"
is not legal owner maintenance (other than under the Ron
Natalie..the wires eventually get to the landing light
sooner or later exclusion).

September 28th 06, 04:52 PM
On 28-Sep-2006, Ron Natalie > wrote:

> You do know that "pulling things to verify serial numbers"
> is not legal owner maintenance

Ron,

Actually, removal and replacement of slide-in, tray mounted avionics (other
than flight control systems, transponders, and DMEs) is specifically
included in the list of allowed owner maintenance items. See FAR Part
43.17(c)(31).

That said, I agree that if the SL30 was working properly just before its
removal the most likely culprit is one or more bent pins on the connector.
Take a close look.

-Elliott Drucker

No Spam
October 4th 06, 07:31 PM
On 9/28/06 10:52, "
> wrote:

> On 28-Sep-2006, Ron Natalie > wrote:
>
>> You do know that "pulling things to verify serial numbers"
>> is not legal owner maintenance
>

> Ron,
>
> Actually, removal and replacement of slide-in, tray mounted avionics (other
> than flight control systems, transponders, and DMEs) is specifically
> included in the list of allowed owner maintenance items. See FAR Part
> 43.17(c)(31).
>
> That said, I agree that if the SL30 was working properly just before its
> removal the most likely culprit is one or more bent pins on the connector.
> Take a close look.
>
> -Elliott Drucker

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Turns out, it was the audio panel. Re-racked the unit, after cleaning the
contacts, and everything works. No goons, no loose trays, no violation of
FARs.

Thanks, again...

-> Kino

Google