PDA

View Full Version : OT Dr. Strangelove

October 5th 06, 12:51 AM
I have just watched Dr. Strangelove (again) and have always wondered if
the Slim Pickens quote "I will get them doors open if it harelips
everybody on Bear Creek!" has any meaning other than the dialog. Any
ideas?

Regards,
Jerry

Dan Luke
October 5th 06, 01:28 AM
> wrote:

>I have just watched Dr. Strangelove (again) and have always wondered if
> the Slim Pickens quote "I will get them doors open if it harelips
> everybody on Bear Creek!" has any meaning other than the dialog. Any
> ideas?

Variations of this expression were common in Texas when I was growing up.

"I'm gonna go fishing Saturday if it harelips every cow in King County!"

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

cjcampbell
October 5th 06, 02:54 AM
wrote:
> I have just watched Dr. Strangelove (again) and have always wondered if
> the Slim Pickens quote "I will get them doors open if it harelips
> everybody on Bear Creek!" has any meaning other than the dialog. Any
> ideas?

Slim Pickens is saying that everybody in Bear Creek are inbred hicks
who have harelips. It is an old Southern expression that basically
means, "it is going to happen even if it makes no difference." Since
everybody in Bear Creek already has a harelip, Slim Pickens is saying
that he will get those doors open even if it changes nothing. No doubt
there are many variants of this saying, some of them more or less
obscene and/or racist. The original saying is supposed to be "if it
short****s every pygmy in the Congo," and I have no idea what the
asterisks mean (and I don't want to know, either.)

The story is that Slim Pickens picked up the phrase in rodeo. Kubrick
asked him what a cowboy would say other than "I am going to do it if it
kills me," and Pickens recalled what he used to hear some old cowboy
say in rodeo.

Dan Luke
October 5th 06, 03:43 AM
"cjcampbell" > wrote:

> Slim Pickens is saying
> that he will get those doors open even if it changes nothing.

That's not what it means--almost the opposite, in fact.

He is saying that he's going to get the doors open and he doesn't give a
damn about the conseqences, no matter what they are.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

houstondan
October 5th 06, 04:15 AM
that's exactly the way i always heard it." i don't care if it hairlips
the (major religious figure in pointy hat)". actually, you can track a
corollary in the "tweety-bird" cartoons wherein he chose to do whatever
(probably involving large un-smart cat) even though the outcome would
be unplesant(specifically; a whippin!).

dan..ok, i'll go back to my book now.

Dan Luke wrote:
> "cjcampbell" > wrote:
>
> > Slim Pickens is saying
> > that he will get those doors open even if it changes nothing.
>

> That's not what it means--almost the opposite, in fact.
>
> He is saying that he's going to get the doors open and he doesn't give a
> damn about the conseqences, no matter what they are.
>

> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

Google