PDA

View Full Version : 150 exhaust leack

October 5th 06, 11:31 PM
Hello all,
today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.

Mike
PP-ASEL-IA

October 5th 06, 11:46 PM
Correction I meant cabin heat no carb heat and its a Cessna 150.
wrote:
> Hello all,
> today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
> exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
> heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
> ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.
>
> Mike
> PP-ASEL-IA

Jon Kraus
October 6th 06, 11:35 AM
Basically a rebuilt system is a new one. They reuse your old flanges adn
weld new pieces to the old flange.

We sent our exhaust to Aerospace Welding in Minnessota (1-800-597-4315)
and they did a good job. Dawley in Wisconsin(1-800-338-5402) also has a
good reputation. Good luck

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

wrote:

> Hello all,
> today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
> exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
> heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
> ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.
>
> Mike
> PP-ASEL-IA

October 6th 06, 02:45 PM
wrote:
> Hello all,
> today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
> exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
> heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
> ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.
>
> Mike
> PP-ASEL-IA

You sure don't want to fly that airplane until it's fixed.
Even with the cabin heat off a small amount of monoxide will enter the
cockpit, since those valves aren't very airtight, and a small amount is
enough to kill or incapacitate you. One or both mufflers will be
cracked, probably seriously. Cessna's inspection procedures require an
inspection of them every 100 hours, but it's often ignored; in Canada
we have an AD requiring it every 150. And we regularly find cracks.
You can get small CO badges from your aircraft parts supplier
that you stick on the panel; they'll turn black if there's monoxide
present and they're sensitive enough to be useful.

Dan

October 6th 06, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the helpfull info, I just had my annual inspection done in
August but apparently nothing was found/cracked during the inspection.
I'll deffinitely wait until I get it fixed to fly it, now I've got an
excuse to rent my clubs citabria!

wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
> > exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
> > heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
> > ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.
> >
> > Mike
> > PP-ASEL-IA
>
> You sure don't want to fly that airplane until it's fixed.
> Even with the cabin heat off a small amount of monoxide will enter the
> cockpit, since those valves aren't very airtight, and a small amount is
> enough to kill or incapacitate you. One or both mufflers will be
> cracked, probably seriously. Cessna's inspection procedures require an
> inspection of them every 100 hours, but it's often ignored; in Canada
> we have an AD requiring it every 150. And we regularly find cracks.
> You can get small CO badges from your aircraft parts supplier
> that you stick on the panel; they'll turn black if there's monoxide
> present and they're sensitive enough to be useful.
>
> Dan

Doug[_1_]
October 6th 06, 05:52 PM
When you get it rebuilt send the shroud too. That way they can be sure
of getting tight fit so your heater works well.

Google