PDA

View Full Version : Bug smasher into Houston Intercontinental?

dlevy[_1_]
October 14th 06, 07:58 PM
I have a meeting right by IAH. Is it reasonable to fly a little plane
there? Is there a GA runway? Rental cars?

Otherwise I'll fly into Weiser.

TIA

Dave S
October 14th 06, 09:51 PM
dlevy wrote:
> I have a meeting right by IAH. Is it reasonable to fly a little plane
> there? Is there a GA runway? Rental cars?
>
> Otherwise I'll fly into Weiser.
>
> TIA

Its doable. I've done it. I had a specific reason for doing so, and went
off-peak. There is not a GA runway at IAH (anymore). I came in with a
Cardinal.. dropped into Atlantic Aviation, and the guys gave a courtesy
ride to my passenger to the rental car area across the highway. Expect a
ramp fee. If its a good weather day with moderate or light winds, you
should be able to shoe-horn in without a problem.

I am based in the Houston area, and dropping into IAH was part of a
convoluted travel plan for an out of town friend.. came to town during
superbowl 2005 - rental cars were out of sight on prices.. so he went to
dallas, drove down.. for two weeks of ride-along multi time building..
then rather than drive all the way back to Dallas at the end.. he drove
back to dallas on the first weekend, I flew up GA (for fun), brought him
back to IAH to get a car there after the superbowl, then took the GA
plane on back to its home south of Houston.

No disrespect to Weiser, but the facilities there are sparse for
transients (except for the BBQ restaurant across the fence..).. no
taxiway and no paved parking either.

If you are a transient coming from out of town and need a rental, you
would be better served at Hooks (KDWH).. and call ahead to ensure the
rental car is arranged.

Michael[_1_]
October 16th 06, 05:35 PM
dlevy wrote:
> I have a meeting right by IAH. Is it reasonable to fly a little plane
> there? Is there a GA runway? Rental cars?

Flying into IAH is no problem, any time of day, in any reasonable
airplane (I've done it a bunch of times in a TriPacer, even during the
push), as long as you can stay sharp. That means listen and get the
instructions right the first time, ask for what you want but take what
you get, have the taxi diagram and know how to use it, and don't goof
on the radio.

I actually prefer IAH to HOU - at HOU there is a flight school and lots
of GA traffic, the controllers assume the worst, and you get the
benefit of delays as controllers handle you in such a way as to make
sure that when you screw up you won't mess up the airline traffic. On
the other hand, they won't come down on you like a ton of bricks if you
screw up. At IAH they don't do this - they treat you like a
professional, and expect you to perform like one - and if you don't,
they come down on you like a ton of bricks.

When I fly in, I use Garett. If you take 33L/15R it will minimize taxi
time. I've never paid a ramp fee, and they were always willing to drop
me off at the terminal. I think the most they ever charged me to park
was something like $10-$15 a night, and that was in a twin. And I'm
pretty sure they can arrange for a rent car, or at worst drop you at
the terminal where you can get one.

> Otherwise I'll fly into Weiser.

I think you can arrange a rental car with the local Enterprise, but the
facilities are otherwise spartan. Self serve fuel, tiedown on the
grass, no FBO office. $5 overnight. If you are not based there,
shooting the instrument approach at night is not recommended.

Michael

Google