PDA

View Full Version : Re: JPI EDM700 v EI UBG16 - comments?

soxinbox
October 15th 06, 01:51 AM
Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> A colleague (who is not on the internet) is looking at one or the
> other, for his 4-seat IFR tourer.
>
> I personally have an EDM700 and after an initial replacement when new
> (buggy firmware, could not download data to a PC) it has been working
> fine. I am not impressed with the probes; I've had two fail in 4
> years.
>
> The EDM data download feature is dreadful; often I get corrupted
> downloads which need to be emailed to JPI and then I have to hassle
> them to get around to retrieving the data. This tends to result from
> the data queue having overflowed, but obviously one should still be
> able to retrieve data on *complete* flights.
>
> On paper, the EI version looks a lot better, but I have never met
> anybody who has one. They claim more rugged probes in particular.
>
> Any views would be much appreciated.
>
> As an aside, wasn't there a big lawsuit in this department, some years
> ago?
>
> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to but remove the A and the B.
> Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.
I have installed the UBG-16 in my Arrow ( with an A&E supervision ). The
folks at EI are great, and answered all my questions. I can't say enough
about the support. I also installed a fuel computer from them. I also
have the data recorder, and often download the data to my computer. With
the EI, I can use whatever software I want to analyze the data, I wrote
my own. I believe the JPI locks you into using there software. On the
downside, the EI is composed of several separate boxes: display unit,
data recorder, manifold pressure interface, fuel flow interface, etc. It
took a lot of work to get all the wires hooked up.

Andrew Gideon
October 19th 06, 06:40 PM
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:51:20 +0000, soxinbox wrote:

> I believe the JPI locks you into using there software

I don't believe that this is [still] true. For example, see:

http://www.geocities.com/joshhurtel/

I'm going through the same decision process: which to buy, JPI or EI.

- Andrew

Google