PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight Sim X

Kobra[_1_]
November 6th 06, 09:17 PM
Flyers,

Just a quick note to all those people thinking of buying MS Flight Simulator
X to save your money!!! It is a DOG!

Anything short of technically advanced aliens accidentally leaving a
super-duper ultra secret main-frame galactic defense optical computer with
advanced hardware and software not even considered yet on this planet...you
will not be able to enjoyably run this sim. Trust me!!

I set the resolution down so low that I had no trees, houses, cars,
hangars....NOTHING. The terrain resolution was so low that it looked like
flat, runny, butterscotch pudding and the frame rate was so slow it was
pathetic.

The sound makes occasional popping noises, the sim freezes, loading a flight
once after clicking "Fly Now" took 15 minutes to load. I'd love to tell you
how many minutes the second flight took to load, but it crashed my computer
after twenty minutes of hard drive grinding trying to claw the proper files
into memory.

Just clicking on the button to change the aircraft took over a minute to
bring up the list. It ate up 15 Gig on my hard drive and I swear it
shuffles around and loads every bit of the 15 gig somewhere just to fly a
local flight AND only giving you marble-cheese cake looking terrain.

My computer is a P4 2.4, 1 gig of memory and a 120 gig HD with half that
space empty. I have a GeForce graphics accelerator with 128MB of memory and
all the latest drivers. So although it's not the fastest computer on the
planet it is reasonable.

MS states that you only need a 1 Gig processor, 256 MB memory, DirectX 9c
and a graphics accelerator card with 32 Meg memory. Yea!! Right!!

Kobra

Jose[_1_]
November 6th 06, 09:21 PM
> The sound makes occasional popping noises, the sim freezes, loading a flight
> once after clicking "Fly Now" took 15 minutes to load.

Try running it with your virus scanner off, and report back. My
computer has been slowing down to a crawl (I can't even access
accuweather.com any more) and I traced the problem to the AV software.
Even a fresh install didn't fix it. Apparantly, there are so many
viruses and the scanner is so inefficient that it takes up all the clock
cycles. It also pretends that it's the other program's fault (i.e.
running Process Explorer, it is the "other" program that is reported as
using all the clock cycles).

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).

Kobra[_1_]
November 6th 06, 09:32 PM
> Try running it with your virus scanner off, and report back. My computer
> has been slowing down to a crawl (I can't even access accuweather.com any
> more) and I traced the problem to the AV software.

I have McAfee and I shut it down before I launched MS FS X. AAMOF, I
unloaded EVERTHING before I loaded the sim for the first time already
knowing I was under powered.

Kobra

Jose[_1_]
November 6th 06, 09:41 PM
> I have McAfee and I shut it down before I launched MS FS X. AAMOF, I
> unloaded EVERTHING before I loaded the sim for the first time already
> knowing I was under powered.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I have MSFS 2002 and see no reason to
upgrade (for what I use it for, which is to keep my scan up and practice
instrument failures).

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).

Robert M. Gary
November 6th 06, 09:50 PM
I'm waiting for Mx's review ;)

NW_Pilot
November 6th 06, 09:53 PM
My boy 10 Years Old is Running FX-62, 2 Gig RAM, EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G GEFORCE
7950 GX2 w/1GB GDDR3 Not a Pause and Grafix Wow

"Kobra" > wrote in message
. ..
> Flyers,
>
> Just a quick note to all those people thinking of buying MS Flight
> Simulator X to save your money!!! It is a DOG!
>
> Anything short of technically advanced aliens accidentally leaving a
> super-duper ultra secret main-frame galactic defense optical computer with
> advanced hardware and software not even considered yet on this
> planet...you will not be able to enjoyably run this sim. Trust me!!
>
> I set the resolution down so low that I had no trees, houses, cars,
> hangars....NOTHING. The terrain resolution was so low that it looked like
> flat, runny, butterscotch pudding and the frame rate was so slow it was
> pathetic.
>
> The sound makes occasional popping noises, the sim freezes, loading a
> flight once after clicking "Fly Now" took 15 minutes to load. I'd love to
> tell you how many minutes the second flight took to load, but it crashed
> my computer after twenty minutes of hard drive grinding trying to claw the
> proper files into memory.
>
> Just clicking on the button to change the aircraft took over a minute to
> bring up the list. It ate up 15 Gig on my hard drive and I swear it
> shuffles around and loads every bit of the 15 gig somewhere just to fly a
> local flight AND only giving you marble-cheese cake looking terrain.
>
> My computer is a P4 2.4, 1 gig of memory and a 120 gig HD with half that
> space empty. I have a GeForce graphics accelerator with 128MB of memory
> and all the latest drivers. So although it's not the fastest computer on
> the planet it is reasonable.
>
> MS states that you only need a 1 Gig processor, 256 MB memory, DirectX 9c
> and a graphics accelerator card with 32 Meg memory. Yea!! Right!!
>
> Kobra

Gary Drescher
November 6th 06, 10:08 PM
"Jose" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I have McAfee and I shut it down before I launched MS FS X. AAMOF, I
>> unloaded EVERTHING before I loaded the sim for the first time already
>> knowing I was under powered.
>
> Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I have MSFS 2002 and see no reason to
> upgrade (for what I use it for, which is to keep my scan up and practice
> instrument failures).

FSX runs well on my three-year-old PC. One feature that's important for
instrument flying is the ability to establish multiple visibility layers,
making it possible to practice the often tricky transition from being in the
clouds to being in poor visual conditions. (Older versions can do that too,
but only with some additional software.)

--Gary

Sam Spade
November 6th 06, 11:13 PM
It runs "okay" on my 3.2 Pentium with4 gigs of system memory and a very
fast gamer's video card.

But, it is a disaster for any attempt to do serious RNAV work. It is
the same nav database that came out with MSFS 2004. That means the
database is a good 3 years (way) out of date. And, it is the same
defective mockery of the Garmin 530.

And, you can no longer adjust the seat in the normal cockpit view.

All in all, a piece of junk.

I'll stick with 2004 with my Reality XP real Garmin and Sandel add ons.

Ben Jackson
November 7th 06, 01:33 AM
On 2006-11-06, Kobra > wrote:

> Just a quick note to all those people thinking of buying MS Flight Simulator
> X to save your money!!! It is a DOG!

Heh, I was a little concerned when I saw an ad on TV for FSX and the in-game
footage was all jerky (maybe 15fps).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/

Sam Spade
November 7th 06, 02:19 AM
Ben Jackson wrote:
> On 2006-11-06, Kobra > wrote:
>
>>Just a quick note to all those people thinking of buying MS Flight Simulator
>>X to save your money!!! It is a DOG!
>

> Heh, I was a little concerned when I saw an ad on TV for FSX and the in-game
> footage was all jerky (maybe 15fps).

I understand the real brains behind the MSFS project departed Microsloft
for greener pastures after 2004 was finished.

It really shows, big time.

Marco Leon
November 13th 06, 04:07 PM
Sam Spade wrote:
> All in all, a piece of junk.
>
> I'll stick with 2004 with my Reality XP real Garmin and Sandel add ons.

Did you get the Reality XP Gauges package too? For most real pilots, it
seems that the Reality XP products hold much of the appeal. Nice
graphics are great but not extremely useful for the practicing pilot.
Yeah, there's pilotage but you can do that on FS 2004 already.

Marco

Sam Spade
November 13th 06, 04:12 PM
Marco Leon wrote:

> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>>All in all, a piece of junk.
>>
>>I'll stick with 2004 with my Reality XP real Garmin and Sandel add ons.
>

> Did you get the Reality XP Gauges package too? For most real pilots, it
> seems that the Reality XP products hold much of the appeal. Nice
> graphics are great but not extremely useful for the practicing pilot.
> Yeah, there's pilotage but you can do that on FS 2004 already.
>
> Marco

I didn't get the Reality gauges. I use the 737 for most of my stuff, so
having the Sandel and Garmin 530 provides what I need (a procedures
evaluation platform).

Google