PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 480

Hankal
November 19th 04, 12:47 AM
I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
Any comments?
Hank 172 driver

November 19th 04, 10:15 AM
What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
to be used for IFR.

Hankal wrote:

> I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
> In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
> Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
> Any comments?
> Hank 172 driver

Andrew Gideon
November 19th 04, 08:05 PM
Hankal wrote:

> I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
> In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
> Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
> Any comments?

I remember that there was some paperwork before a GNS-430 we installed into
a 172 became legal for IFR, but I don't recall it being a 337. I think
some sort of test was involved.

From what I understand, this requirement is typical.

- Andrew

Hankal
November 19th 04, 08:06 PM
>What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
>to be used for IFR.

It is an IFR installation.
Is a 337 required?
I am not an Avionics mechanic, so don't beat up on me.

Dave Butler
November 19th 04, 08:23 PM
Hankal wrote:
>>What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
>>to be used for IFR.

> It is an IFR installation.
> Is a 337 required?

I think so.

> I am not an Avionics mechanic, so don't beat up on me.

I'm not either, but I did have an IFR GPS installed once a few years ago. There
was a Supplemental POH that needed to be filed with my airplane's POH. That
supplement has to be approved by OK City. I think the 337 is the mechanism for
getting the approval. The SPOH spells out the limitations on using the GPS for
IFR, so it can't be used IFR until that supplement is in effect. It will say
things like the requirement for having a current database in order to use it for
instrument approaches, for example.

John R. Copeland
November 19th 04, 09:31 PM
Congratulations, Hank. I think you made a good choice.
Years ago, when I installed an IFR Loran, there was some delay
in getting the installation and the POH supplement approved.
There was no such delay for my CNX80.
The 337 plus a simple flight test to prove conformance did the trick.

I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.
---JRC---

"Hankal" > wrote in message =
>I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
> In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
> Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
> Any comments?
> Hank 172 driver

Hankal
November 20th 04, 12:27 AM
>I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
>until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
>Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
>using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.

I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long learning curve,
but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have it down
pat.
I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches with the
480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
Hank

John R. Copeland
November 20th 04, 01:02 AM
"Hankal" > wrote in message =
> >I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
>>until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
>>Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
>>using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything =
lives.
>=20
> I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long =
learning curve,
> but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have =
it down
> pat.
> I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches =
with the
> 480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
> Hank

Attaboy!
Yes, the learning curve is long, but it's a fun one.
---JRC---

November 20th 04, 04:55 AM
Keep in mind that about 10% of the function will satisfy about 90% of
your navigational requirements.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:02:34 GMT, "John R. Copeland"
> wrote:

>"Hankal" > wrote in message ...
>> >I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
>>>until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
>>>Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
>>>using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.
>>
>> I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long learning curve,
>> but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have it down
>> pat.
>> I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches with the
>> 480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
>> Hank
>
>Attaboy!
>Yes, the learning curve is long, but it's a fun one.
>---JRC---

Michael 182
November 20th 04, 07:15 AM
"Hankal" > wrote in message
> >I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
>>until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
>>Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
>>using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.
>
> I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long learning
> curve,
> but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have it
> down
> pat.
> I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches
> with the
> 480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
> Hank

The big thing that I find most people do not understand is how to fly the
missed using the GPS. It is not intuitive, but once you understand how to do
it makes flying the missed very simple.

November 20th 04, 11:59 AM
Hankal wrote:

> >What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
> >to be used for IFR.
>
> It is an IFR installation.
> Is a 337 required?
> I am not an Avionics mechanic, so don't beat up on me.

But, you should be talking with one. Without an experienced Avionics
technician making the installation, it likely won't become an IFR
installation. The paperwork is a moving target, but is a lot easier today
than a few years ago. Whether it involves a 377 is academic becuase, if it
does, the competent shop will take care of that in course.

Hankal
November 28th 04, 12:48 AM
>But, you should be talking with one. Without an experienced Avionics
>technician making the installation, it likely won't become an IFR
>installation. The paperwork is a moving target, but is a lot easier today
>than a few years ago. Whether it involves a 377 is academic becuase, if it
>does, the competent shop will take care of that in course.

I have a certified Avionics shop do the install

January 8th 05, 05:24 PM
On 08 Jan 2005 17:11:43 GMT, (Hankal) wrote:

>I have looked through the users guide, but cannot find how to delete a waypoint
>from a Flightplan.

On the 430/530, I think you (a) display the flight plan, (b) turn on
the cursor (3) scroll down to the waypoint and (4) press "clear"

(The 480 might be totally different.)

Ron Rosenfeld
January 9th 05, 01:10 AM
On 08 Jan 2005 17:11:43 GMT, (Hankal) wrote:

>I have looked through the users guide, but cannot find how to delete a waypoint
>from a Flightplan.

FPL
EDIT
XPND
Use the large knob to select a waypoint.
CLR

If you don't select XPND, you'll get prompted to delete all the waypoints
of a leg, if appropriate.

If you've set up your flight plan with airways, rather than point to point,
you may have to delete the same waypoint a few times. Try it on the
simulator at home, first.

Jedi Nein
January 10th 05, 05:35 AM
Greetings,
Don't forget to save your changes.

You must press EXEC after any change to the flight plan or the 480 will
not recognize that change.

Very frustrating to find yourself still going to the deleted waypoint,
but you can't see it.

So....
> FPL
> EDIT
> XPND
> Turn the Big Knob to select the waypoint
> CLR
> EXEC

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Ron Rosenfeld
January 10th 05, 12:18 PM
On 9 Jan 2005 21:35:06 -0800, "Jedi Nein" > wrote:

>Greetings,
>Don't forget to save your changes.
>
>You must press EXEC after any change to the flight plan or the 480 will
>not recognize that change.
>
>Very frustrating to find yourself still going to the deleted waypoint,
>but you can't see it.

True and a good warning.

Roy Smith
January 10th 05, 12:55 PM
In article m>,
"Jedi Nein" > wrote:

> Greetings,
> Don't forget to save your changes.
>
> You must press EXEC after any change to the flight plan or the 480 will
> not recognize that change.
>
> Very frustrating to find yourself still going to the deleted waypoint,
> but you can't see it.

Indeed, this is one of the most frequent mistakes I make with the CNX-80.

Greg Blanck
January 12th 05, 05:13 AM
All- There's a GNS480 users group mailing list I've set up at Yahoo Groups. Sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gns480-users/

We have quite a few current and prospective owners contributing.

Greg Blanck

Google