PDA

View Full Version : Approved Flight Sim

December 10th 06, 03:12 AM
Hello,

My flight school (a very small flight school) is looking at getting a
Sim. Can any people recommend approved sims that are affordable and
easy to run/install?

They would just be using it for IFR training and multi training. Right
now the school has a 172, 150 and Seneca.

Any advice would help!

-dr

Jim Macklin
December 10th 06, 03:23 AM
try www.frasca.com

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hello,
|
| My flight school (a very small flight school) is looking
at getting a
| Sim. Can any people recommend approved sims that are
affordable and
| easy to run/install?
|
| They would just be using it for IFR training and multi
training. Right
| now the school has a 172, 150 and Seneca.
|
| Any advice would help!
|
| -dr

Bob Moore
December 10th 06, 02:20 PM
dico wrote
> My flight school (a very small flight school) is looking at getting a
> Sim. Can any people recommend approved sims that are affordable and
> easy to run/install?

First, I note that you are posting from Canada....your rules nay be
different.
Second, I don't know what a "Sim" is, however, here in the USofA, our
FAA categorizes the following devices:

1. Airplane Simulator
2. Airplane Flight Training Device (AFTD)
3. Personal Computer Aviation Training Device (PCATD)

DEFINITIONS. (From FAA Advisory Circulars)

a. An Airplane Simulator is a full size replica of a
specific type or make, model, and series airplane cockpit,
including the assemblage of equipment and computer software
programs necessary to represent the airplane in ground and flight
operations, a visual system providing an out-of-the-cockpit view,
a force (motion) cueing system which provides cues at least
equivalent to that of a three degree of freedom motion system;
and is in compliance with the minimum standards for a Level A
simulator specified in AC 120-40, as amended.

b. An Airplane Flight Training Device is full scale
replica of an airplane's instruments, equipment, panels, and
controls in an open flight deck area or an enclosed airplane
cockpit, including the assemblage of equipment and computer
software programs necessary to represent the airplane in ground
and flight conditions to the extent of the systems installed in
the device; does not require a force (motion) cueing or visual
system; is found to meet the criteria outlined in this AC for a
specific flight training device level; and in which any flight
training event or flight checking event is accomplished.

c. PCATD's are distinct from Flight Training Devices
(FTD) qualified under AC 120-45, Airplane Flight Training Device
Qualification, current edition, and flight simulators qualified under
AC 120-40, Airplane Simulator Qualification. AFS-800 has recently
qualified and approved specific models of these devices for use as
authorized and expects that additional models will be qualified and
approved as they are developed by commercial enterprise within the
aviation industry.

Bob Moore
ATP CFII

Google