PDA

View Full Version : chart geeks and old time central pennsylvanians

Ron Natalie
December 11th 06, 12:34 PM
Ok, here's something I noticed running up to State College
yesterday. about 20 miles south of State College there's
a class E transition area with no airport in the middle of
it (there's Stottle Mem 02P, I think that's a hospital
helipad on the edge of it, but I don't think that's the
reason for it). Was there an airport here at one time
with an approach? Why is this here?

Arnold Sten
December 11th 06, 08:15 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Ok, here's something I noticed running up to State College
> yesterday. about 20 miles south of State College there's
> a class E transition area with no airport in the middle of
> it (there's Stottle Mem 02P, I think that's a hospital
> helipad on the edge of it, but I don't think that's the
> reason for it). Was there an airport here at one time
> with an approach? Why is this here?
Perhaps you were in the class E area for KRVL (Mifflin County Airport).
That are is just about 20 NM south of KUNV, and wort of centered around
the STROH NDB.
Since I'm based at Capital City Airport (Harrisburg),I've flown into and
out of KRVL a number of times. Where are you based?

Ron Natalie
December 11th 06, 09:39 PM
Arnold Sten wrote:

> Perhaps you were in the class E area for KRVL (Mifflin County Airport).
> That are is just about 20 NM south of KUNV, and wort of centered around
> the STROH NDB.

Nope keep going south. It's outside the Mifflin Co/Mifflintown
overlapping transition areas. It's roughly centered on a town
marked East Waterford.

> Since I'm based at Capital City Airport (Harrisburg),I've flown into and
> out of KRVL a number of times. Where are you based?

Culpeper Virginia. My daughter goes to Penn State.

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
December 11th 06, 10:45 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Ok, here's something I noticed running up to State College
> yesterday. about 20 miles south of State College there's
> a class E transition area with no airport in the middle of
> it (there's Stottle Mem 02P, I think that's a hospital
> helipad on the edge of it, but I don't think that's the
> reason for it). Was there an airport here at one time
> with an approach? Why is this here?

It's for the Copter RNAV approach to Stottle Memorial. The FAF, CASLA,
is at the center of the mystery airspace.

http://map.aeroplanner.com/plates/FaaPlates_pdfs/09850COPTERR086.PDF

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/chart/chart.cfm?chart=Sectional&typ=FIX&txt=CASLA

Ron Natalie
December 12th 06, 12:50 PM
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

> It's for the Copter RNAV approach to Stottle Memorial. The FAF, CASLA,
> is at the center of the mystery airspace.

Thanks Steve. I knew someone would know. I guess I never looked
at a copter approach before. There's no "flying past the airport"
on the missed it's a backup and try again type thing which accounts
for it's "off centered" appearance.

Arnold Sten
December 12th 06, 06:02 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Arnold Sten wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you were in the class E area for KRVL (Mifflin County
>> Airport). That are is just about 20 NM south of KUNV, and wort of
>> centered around the STROH NDB.
>
> Nope keep going south. It's outside the Mifflin Co/Mifflintown
> overlapping transition areas. It's roughly centered on a town
> marked East Waterford.
>
>> Since I'm based at Capital City Airport (Harrisburg),I've flown into
>> and out of KRVL a number of times. Where are you based?
>
> Culpeper Virginia. My daughter goes to Penn State.
Wonderful! It's always great to hear of another Nittany Lion supporter
in this group. Your daughter made a good choice for college.
Keep Harrisburg Capital City Airport in mind as a good stop should you
need one the next time you fly this direction. It's only another 60 NM
up to KUNV.
If you're the least bit interested, I've got some great aerial photos of
the campus, Beaver stadium (NOT taken during a home football game),
Jordan Center, etc., etc. Email me directly after you remove the obvious
stuff from by address.
The class E that you asked about is for chopper use. It's only about 30
miles from where I live.

Arnold Sten

Google