By the way, nice domain name flight.org

--
PolZegerully
Posted at www.flight.org

Jose[_1_]
December 15th 06, 09:05 PM
> This is my first time on this site

This isn't a site. Usenet is a set of internet bulletin boards. Some
web sites put Usenet content on their own web site, as if it were
theirs, but it isn't. It is public domain.

> How can you IM, PM or whatever you call it to certain members?

There are no "members". Usenet is public domain. Anybody can post to
it. You can send Email to posters in the usual manner (once you know
their Email address), you can IM them in the usual manner (once you know
the IM service they use, and their screen name), but mostly Usenet
operates through public postings.

The best way to post to Usenet is to use a newsreader. You probably
already have one. Most Email programs also do newsgroups. If you are
using Windows, you can use Outlook Express to start with, and once you
decide you like the idea, you can get a better newsreader. You will
also need a newsgroups subscription, which probably comes free with your
internet service provider. (If not, try giganews.com or teranews.com).
You set up a "newsgroup account" pretty much the way you set up an
Email account, and then you can use your newsreader software to read
newsgroups pretty much the same way you do Email.

These same newsgroups have been pasted into quite a number of web sites,
and google has even created a web interface for Usenet newsgroups plus
their own message boards (groups.google.com). But basically, it's just
Usenet in drag.

So, set up your newsreader, and join the world of Usenet, completely
independent of any web site!

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Newps
December 15th 06, 09:15 PM
You don't own a copy of Flight Sim, do you?

PolZegerully wrote:
> Hi everyone.!
> This is my first time on this site
> I would like to tell what I really like this project "Aviation Usenet
> Newsgroups"
> I've been reading it for a while, and I have learned so much here
> So, I decided to try my luck asking a few questions...
> How can you IM, PM or whatever you call it to certain members?
> I'd like to ask more questions about this project.
> By the way, nice domain name flight.org

Jason
December 16th 06, 04:06 AM
PolZegerully Wrote:
> Hi everyone.!
> This is my first time on this site
> I would like to tell what I really like this project "Aviation Usenet
> Newsgroups"
> I've been reading it for a while, and I have learned so much here
> So, I decided to try my luck asking a few questions...

Hello PolZegerully.

As somebody else said, flight.org is just one of many 'gateways' that
provides web based access to Usenet newsgroups. Usenet is a protocol
just like http, ftp, smtp etc. flight.org is just one of many web sites
that provides web based access. See:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=rec.aviation.ifr+usenet&meta=

newsgroups.comcast.net
December 16th 06, 01:44 PM
I've seen, essentially, this exact posting on other, non aviation related
forums. Only the name of the domains, and forum name have been changed. I'm
pretty sure it's some form of spambot. Same subject line, and message text
(other than the changes I mentioned).

"Jose" > wrote in message
. ..
> > This is my first time on this site
>
> This isn't a site. Usenet is a set of internet bulletin boards. Some
> web sites put Usenet content on their own web site, as if it were
> theirs, but it isn't. It is public domain.
>
> > How can you IM, PM or whatever you call it to certain members?
>
> There are no "members". Usenet is public domain. Anybody can post to
> it. You can send Email to posters in the usual manner (once you know
> their Email address), you can IM them in the usual manner (once you know
> the IM service they use, and their screen name), but mostly Usenet
> operates through public postings.
>
> The best way to post to Usenet is to use a newsreader. You probably
> already have one. Most Email programs also do newsgroups. If you are
> using Windows, you can use Outlook Express to start with, and once you
> decide you like the idea, you can get a better newsreader. You will
> also need a newsgroups subscription, which probably comes free with your
> internet service provider. (If not, try giganews.com or teranews.com).
> You set up a "newsgroup account" pretty much the way you set up an
> Email account, and then you can use your newsreader software to read
> newsgroups pretty much the same way you do Email.
>
> These same newsgroups have been pasted into quite a number of web sites,
> and google has even created a web interface for Usenet newsgroups plus
> their own message boards (groups.google.com). But basically, it's just
> Usenet in drag.
>
> So, set up your newsreader, and join the world of Usenet, completely
> independent of any web site!
>
> Jose
> --
> "There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
> what they are." - (mike).
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Jose[_1_]
December 16th 06, 04:45 PM
> I've seen, essentially, this exact posting on other, non aviation related
> forums. Only the name of the domains, and forum name have been changed. I'm
> pretty sure it's some form of spambot.

In that case, sounds like you're right. Thanks.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Google