PDA

View Full Version : Gone West...

Jim[_11_]
January 9th 07, 10:23 PM
'Spin Doctor' Bill Kershner dies at 77

Pilot, flight instructor, and aviation author William K. Kershner, 77, died
January 8 in Sewanee, Tennessee, after a prolonged battle with cancer.

He soloed an Aeronca Defender from Clarksville, Tennessee's Outlaw Field - a
grass strip at the time - in 1945 at age 16. After four years flying
Corsairs in the Navy, Kershner worked as a corporate pilot, flight-test
pilot, and special assistant to William T. Piper Sr., then president of
Piper Aircraft. With the help of his wife, Betty - who typed his handwritten
manuscripts - Kershner authored and illustrated a series of five highly
regarded flight manuals; his Student Pilot's Flight Manual alone has sold
more than 1 million copies.

Kershner contributed often to AOPA publications, including AOPA Pilot and
AOPA Flight Training. More than 8,000 spins...

Dudley Henriques
January 9th 07, 10:30 PM
Indeed sad news for me personally. I have been a fan of Bill's for many
years and have always used and recommended his books throughout my tenure in
aviation as an instructor.
Bill was a fine man, and contributed much to the safety and education of the
pilots who came up in my era.
Thank you for posting this news on the group. I'm sure there are many here
who share my feelings about Bill and will be grateful to you for taking the
time to note the passing of one of aviation's true pioneers.
Dudley Henriques
(A Bill Kershner Trained Flight Instructor)

"Jim" > wrote in message
> 'Spin Doctor' Bill Kershner dies at 77
>
> Pilot, flight instructor, and aviation author William K. Kershner, 77,
> died
> January 8 in Sewanee, Tennessee, after a prolonged battle with cancer.
>
> He soloed an Aeronca Defender from Clarksville, Tennessee's Outlaw Field -
> grass strip at the time - in 1945 at age 16. After four years flying
> Corsairs in the Navy, Kershner worked as a corporate pilot, flight-test
> pilot, and special assistant to William T. Piper Sr., then president of
> Piper Aircraft. With the help of his wife, Betty - who typed his
> handwritten
> manuscripts - Kershner authored and illustrated a series of five highly
> regarded flight manuals; his Student Pilot's Flight Manual alone has sold
> more than 1 million copies.
>
> Kershner contributed often to AOPA publications, including AOPA Pilot and
> AOPA Flight Training. More than 8,000 spins...

Jim[_11_]
January 9th 07, 10:58 PM
I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very useful
and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
"need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
Jim

Dudley Henriques
January 9th 07, 11:10 PM
"Jim" > wrote in message
>I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
>useful
> and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
> "need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
> maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
> this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
> Jim

I agree.
Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
information with creative teaching to present that information on levels all
students could understand.
His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who benefited
from his contribution.
Dudley Henriques

Matt Whiting
January 9th 07, 11:46 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:
> "Jim" > wrote in message
>
>>I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
>>useful
>>and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
>>"need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
>>maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
>>this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
>>Jim
>

> I agree.
> Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
> information with creative teaching to present that information on levels all
> students could understand.
> His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who benefited
> from his contribution.
> Dudley Henriques

The good thing is that I recall reading an article recently about a
woman who was teaching along-side Bill and it sounded like she might
keep things going where he left off. I can't now remember where I read
this, but it seems like she was a college professor or some such, but
was teaching flying on the side. It sure would be nice for someone to
carry on what he started.

Matt

Dudley Henriques
January 9th 07, 11:49 PM
She probably teaches at Iowa State.
Dudley Henriques

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> "Jim" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
>>>useful
>>>and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
>>>"need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
>>>maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
>>>this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
>>>Jim
>>

>> I agree.
>> Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
>> information with creative teaching to present that information on levels
>> all students could understand.
>> His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who
>> benefited from his contribution.
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> The good thing is that I recall reading an article recently about a woman
> who was teaching along-side Bill and it sounded like she might keep things
> going where he left off. I can't now remember where I read this, but it
> seems like she was a college professor or some such, but was teaching
> flying on the side. It sure would be nice for someone to carry on what he
> started.
>
> Matt

tom418
January 10th 07, 12:31 AM
His books combined much information and a sense of humor. It's been decades,
but I still remember "Henry Schmotz" and "Oswald Zilch" and their
screw-ups!
"Jim" > wrote in message
> I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
useful
> and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
> "need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
> maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
> this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
> Jim

Matt Whiting
January 10th 07, 01:44 AM
Dudley Henriques wrote:
> She probably teaches at Iowa State.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2006/spin0608.html

Nope, University of the South, Sewanee.

Matt

Peter Dohm
January 10th 07, 01:55 AM
> >I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
> >useful
> > and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many
students
> > "need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
> > maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
> > this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
> > Jim
>
> I agree.
> Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
> information with creative teaching to present that information on levels
all
> students could understand.
> His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who benefited
> from his contribution.
> Dudley Henriques

This is sad news. In a way, he was already mised as his writing in AOPA
Pilot had become far less prolific, but I had no idea of the reason. I will
always remember some of the hilarious stories he told in his magazine
articles, and his books will continue to be invaluable learnend and training
tools.

Peter

Dudley Henriques
January 10th 07, 02:47 AM
Go Gators!!!
:-))

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> She probably teaches at Iowa State.
>
> http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2006/spin0608.html
>
> Nope, University of the South, Sewanee.
>
> Matt

David Kazdan
January 10th 07, 02:51 AM
She's Catherine Cavagnaro, chairman of the math department at the
University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee (the university owns the
airport and the rest of the town).

Kershner's only affiliation with University of Iowa was that their press
published his books until recently.

My wife and I took ground school from him early October and flew with
Catherine. It was a terrific experience. Kershner had stopped in-air
instruction a few months earlier and was ill, but he did a fine job with
the classroom instruction. It was a great pleasure working with him and
getting to know him a little. Catherine takes the flying and
instructing very seriously and I'm sure that she will indeed take the
torch from her mentor and carry it forward.

David

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> She probably teaches at Iowa State.
> Dudley Henriques
>
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>> Dudley Henriques wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>> Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
>>> information with creative teaching to present that information on levels
>>> all students could understand.
>>> His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who
>>> benefited from his contribution.
>>> Dudley Henriques
>> The good thing is that I recall reading an article recently about a woman
>> who was teaching along-side Bill and it sounded like she might keep things
>> going where he left off. I can't now remember where I read this, but it
>> seems like she was a college professor or some such, but was teaching
>> flying on the side. It sure would be nice for someone to carry on what he
>> started.
>>
>> Matt

Dudley Henriques
January 10th 07, 03:12 AM
That's good to know. Having the chair of the Math Dept. at her level means a
dedicated personality :-)
It's good someone will be carrying on the fine work Bill has done.
Dudley Henriques

"David Kazdan" > wrote in message
et...
> She's Catherine Cavagnaro, chairman of the math department at the
> University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee (the university owns the
> airport and the rest of the town).
>
> Kershner's only affiliation with University of Iowa was that their press
> published his books until recently.
>
> My wife and I took ground school from him early October and flew with
> Catherine. It was a terrific experience. Kershner had stopped in-air
> instruction a few months earlier and was ill, but he did a fine job with
> the classroom instruction. It was a great pleasure working with him and
> getting to know him a little. Catherine takes the flying and instructing
> very seriously and I'm sure that she will indeed take the torch from her
> mentor and carry it forward.
>
> David
>
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> She probably teaches at Iowa State.
>> Dudley Henriques

>>> The good thing is that I recall reading an article recently about a
>>> woman who was teaching along-side Bill and it sounded like she might
>>> keep things going where he left off. I can't now remember where I read
>>> this, but it seems like she was a college professor or some such, but
>>> was teaching flying on the side. It sure would be nice for someone to
>>> carry on what he started.
>>>
>>> Matt

Stan Prevost[_1_]
January 10th 07, 04:10 AM
The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
understand it is going to the Smithsonian.

"Jim" > wrote in message
> 'Spin Doctor' Bill Kershner dies at 77
>
> Pilot, flight instructor, and aviation author William K. Kershner, 77,
> died
> January 8 in Sewanee, Tennessee, after a prolonged battle with cancer.
>
> He soloed an Aeronca Defender from Clarksville, Tennessee's Outlaw Field -
> grass strip at the time - in 1945 at age 16. After four years flying
> Corsairs in the Navy, Kershner worked as a corporate pilot, flight-test
> pilot, and special assistant to William T. Piper Sr., then president of
> Piper Aircraft. With the help of his wife, Betty - who typed his
> handwritten
> manuscripts - Kershner authored and illustrated a series of five highly
> regarded flight manuals; his Student Pilot's Flight Manual alone has sold
> more than 1 million copies.
>
> Kershner contributed often to AOPA publications, including AOPA Pilot and
> AOPA Flight Training. More than 8,000 spins...

Dudley Henriques
January 10th 07, 04:32 AM
"Stan Prevost" > wrote in message
> The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
> understand it is going to the Smithsonian.

I hope so. I kidded him once about him being the only pilot alive who could
make that airplane look good doing a maneuver :-))
Dudley Henriques

Thomas Borchert
January 10th 07, 01:01 PM
Jim,

sad news. I've read his student manual so many times...

It seems he lived a full life, though - and he'll be remembered.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Bob Gardner
January 10th 07, 03:25 PM
I was privileged to talk to Bill on the phone several times. When he was
contemplating moving his books to ASA, he called to ask for my take on the
folks at ASA. Wouldn't leave Tennessee, though...everything had to be done
through the mail. He sent me a full set of his books and I did the same for
him. He was a softspoken true gentleman, and he will be missed.

Bob Gardner

"Jim" > wrote in message
> 'Spin Doctor' Bill Kershner dies at 77
>
> Pilot, flight instructor, and aviation author William K. Kershner, 77,
> died
> January 8 in Sewanee, Tennessee, after a prolonged battle with cancer.
>
> He soloed an Aeronca Defender from Clarksville, Tennessee's Outlaw Field -
> grass strip at the time - in 1945 at age 16. After four years flying
> Corsairs in the Navy, Kershner worked as a corporate pilot, flight-test
> pilot, and special assistant to William T. Piper Sr., then president of
> Piper Aircraft. With the help of his wife, Betty - who typed his
> handwritten
> manuscripts - Kershner authored and illustrated a series of five highly
> regarded flight manuals; his Student Pilot's Flight Manual alone has sold
> more than 1 million copies.
>
> Kershner contributed often to AOPA publications, including AOPA Pilot and
> AOPA Flight Training. More than 8,000 spins...

David Kazdan
January 11th 07, 03:34 AM
I made the mistake of asking Catherine if she had had the chance to fly
a more real aerobatic plane than the 152. She looked at my with
indignation: "Are you casting aspersions on my Wilbur?" (Kershner's was
Orville)

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> "Stan Prevost" > wrote in message
>> The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
>> understand it is going to the Smithsonian.
>
> I hope so. I kidded him once about him being the only pilot alive who could
> make that airplane look good doing a maneuver :-))
> Dudley Henriques

Dudley Henriques
January 11th 07, 04:15 AM
The Bat is a wonderful ego equalizer for folks climbing out of a Pitts or
something with the performance of a Pitts.
It's like flying a whale!! :-))
Dudley Henriques

"David Kazdan" > wrote in message
>I made the mistake of asking Catherine if she had had the chance to fly a
>more real aerobatic plane than the 152. She looked at my with indignation:
>"Are you casting aspersions on my Wilbur?" (Kershner's was Orville)
>
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> "Stan Prevost" > wrote in message
>>> The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual.
>>> I understand it is going to the Smithsonian.
>>
>> I hope so. I kidded him once about him being the only pilot alive who
>> could make that airplane look good doing a maneuver :-))
>> Dudley Henriques

houstondan
January 11th 07, 04:35 AM
aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.

dan

David Kazdan wrote:
> I made the mistake of asking Catherine if she had had the chance to fly
> a more real aerobatic plane than the 152. She looked at my with
> indignation: "Are you casting aspersions on my Wilbur?" (Kershner's was
> Orville)
>
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
> > "Stan Prevost" > wrote in message
> >> The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
> >> understand it is going to the Smithsonian.
> >
> > I hope so. I kidded him once about him being the only pilot alive who could
> > make that airplane look good doing a maneuver :-))
> > Dudley Henriques

Dudley Henriques
January 11th 07, 04:18 PM
"houstondan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
> ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.
>
> dan

Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is so
great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn to
use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make it
look "passable" :-)
Dudley Henriques

Matt Whiting
January 11th 07, 11:17 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:

> "houstondan" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
>>ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.
>>
>>dan
>

> Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
> represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
> rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is so
> great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
> anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn to
> use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make it
> look "passable" :-)
> Dudley Henriques

Bob Hoover made a Shrike look pretty good ... at least to my eye! :-)

Matt

Dudley Henriques
January 11th 07, 11:35 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> "houstondan" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>>aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
>>>ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.
>>>
>>>dan
>>

>> Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
>> represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
>> rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is
>> so great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
>> anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn
>> to use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make
>> it look "passable" :-)
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> Bob Hoover made a Shrike look pretty good ... at least to my eye! :-)
>
> Matt

You're right. Bob's speciality is "smooth" acro. In all the many years I've
watched and known him, I"ve never seen anyone quite as smooth with an
airplane as he has been.
Dudley Henriques

Matt Whiting
January 11th 07, 11:43 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:

> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>

>>>"houstondan" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
>>>represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
>>>rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is
>>>so great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
>>>anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn
>>>to use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make
>>>it look "passable" :-)
>>>Dudley Henriques
>>
>>Bob Hoover made a Shrike look pretty good ... at least to my eye! :-)
>>
>>Matt
>

> You're right. Bob's speciality is "smooth" acro. In all the many years I've
> watched and known him, I"ve never seen anyone quite as smooth with an
> airplane as he has been.
> Dudley Henriques

I've only seen him twice "in person", but he sure made it look easy.
I'd kill for half of his skill.

Matt

Dudley Henriques
January 11th 07, 11:56 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:

oups.com...

>>>Bob Hoover made a Shrike look pretty good ... at least to my eye! :-)
>>>
>>>Matt
>>

>> You're right. Bob's speciality is "smooth" acro. In all the many years
>> I've watched and known him, I"ve never seen anyone quite as smooth with
>> an airplane as he has been.
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> I've only seen him twice "in person", but he sure made it look easy. I'd
> kill for half of his skill.
>
> Matt

He is good; no doubt about it. Not only that, but he's consistently good,
and in the demonstration business, consistency is what keeps you alive. It's
easy to be good on any given day, but to remain good for the years Bob has
been flying professionally, is the true mark of his ability.
Dudley Henriques

John R. Copeland
January 12th 07, 12:24 AM
"Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message ...

> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>
>>> "houstondan" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
>>> represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
>>> rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is
>>> so great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
>>> anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn
>>> to use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make
>>> it look "passable" :-)
>>> Dudley Henriques
>>
>> Bob Hoover made a Shrike look pretty good ... at least to my eye! :-)
>>
>> Matt
>
> You're right. Bob's speciality is "smooth" acro. In all the many years I've
> watched and known him, I"ve never seen anyone quite as smooth with an
> airplane as he has been.
> Dudley Henriques

Julie Clark prides herself on smoothness, too.

Matt Whiting
January 12th 07, 03:11 AM
John R. Copeland wrote:

> Julie Clark prides herself on smoothness, too.

Can she pour a glass of water while doing a roll?

Matt

John R. Copeland
January 12th 07, 03:49 AM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message ...
> John R. Copeland wrote:
>

>> Julie Clark prides herself on smoothness, too.
>>

> Can she pour a glass of water while doing a roll?
>
> Matt

Probably.
But Bob Hoover can even do that backhanded!

Dudley Henriques
January 13th 07, 07:28 PM
"John R. Copeland" > wrote in message
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> John R. Copeland wrote:
>

>> Julie Clark prides herself on smoothness, too.
>>

> Can she pour a glass of water while doing a roll?
>
> Matt

Probably.
But Bob Hoover can even do that backhanded!

Not taking anything away from Bob, who is one of the finest pilots in the
world, but that iced tea on the glareshield is really no big deal for any
trained aerobatic pilot. There are two distinct factors involved in doing a
barrel roll correctly and keeping it centered all the way around. The
easiest is keeping positive g on the airplane through the roll which isn't
all that hard. The REAL hard part, and what will get you a lap full of iced
tea every time, is misuse of the rudder during the roll that enters even a
smidgen of either positive or negative yaw into the roll equation. If your
rudder work isn't PERFECTLY coordinated for the amount of aileron and
elevator you are using in the roll, that glass will SLIDE sideways and end
up right in your lap.
Again, any good acro pilot can keep it centered.
Bob is a great showman as well as being a great pilot. I've never known him
to pass up an opportunity at being a good showman. The iced tea on the panel
is just one small thing that demonstrates Bob's tremendous ability to
combine skill with showmanship.
Dudley Henriques

Google