PDA

View Full Version : IFR Practical test requirements

kevmor
January 23rd 07, 01:06 AM
So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
Airplane and it says:

(pg.6)

2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
TEST WAS TAKEN.

This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

Bill Zaleski
January 23rd 07, 01:14 AM
On 22 Jan 2007 17:06:41 -0800, "kevmor" > wrote:

>So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
>Airplane and it says:
>
>(pg.6)
>
>2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
>BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
>TEST WAS TAKEN.
>
>This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
>end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

You are correct. Good till the end of the month 2 years after the
month you took it in.

Mark Hansen
January 23rd 07, 01:19 AM
On 01/22/07 17:06, kevmor wrote:
> So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
> Airplane and it says:
>
> (pg.6)
>
> 2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
> BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
> TEST WAS TAKEN.
>
> This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
> end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

Sounds like you just did. The results are good for 24 months.

Of course, if you think that's just too long, you can always take
the test again ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

kevmor
January 24th 07, 09:23 PM
Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

On Jan 22, 5:19 pm, Mark Hansen > wrote:
> On 01/22/07 17:06, kevmor wrote:
>
> > So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
> > Airplane and it says:
>
> > (pg.6)
>
> > 2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
> > BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
> > TEST WAS TAKEN.
>
> > This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
> > end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?Sounds like you just did. The results are good for 24 months.
>
> Of course, if you think that's just too long, you can always take
> the test again ;-)
>
> --
> Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane
> Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
> Sacramento, CA

Mark Hansen
January 24th 07, 09:30 PM
On 01/24/07 13:23, kevmor wrote:
> Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
> them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

In some cases, the D.E. has a choice from a number of activities,
like "pick any two of the following 5" for example.

Steep turns are part of the PP-ASEL PTS, but I'd have to look at
it to see if they are actually required (I think they are).

> On Jan 22, 5:19 pm, Mark Hansen > wrote:
>> On 01/22/07 17:06, kevmor wrote:
>>
>> > So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
>> > Airplane and it says:
>>
>> > (pg.6)
>>
>> > 2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
>> > BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
>> > TEST WAS TAKEN.
>>
>> > This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
>> > end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?Sounds like you just did. The results are good for 24 months.
>>
>> Of course, if you think that's just too long, you can always take
>> the test again ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane
>> Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
>> Sacramento, CA

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Mark Hansen
January 24th 07, 09:33 PM
On 01/24/07 13:30, Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 01/24/07 13:23, kevmor wrote:
>> Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
>> them in the standards, but I've heard they are.
>
> In some cases, the D.E. has a choice from a number of activities,
> like "pick any two of the following 5" for example.
>
> Steep turns are part of the PP-ASEL PTS, but I'd have to look at
> it to see if they are actually required (I think they are).

Oops, I see now that this was for the IR Practical Test. No, I don't
think steep turns are part of the IR practical. Recovery from unusual
attitudes is (while under the hood, of course) ... and some of those
can be pretty steep ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Ron Natalie
January 25th 07, 01:49 PM
kevmor wrote:
> Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
> them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

The PTS changed in October. Steep turns for the instrument are gone.

Kevin Clarke
January 25th 07, 01:52 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> kevmor wrote:
>> Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
>> them in the standards, but I've heard they are.
>>
> The PTS changed in October. Steep turns for the instrument are gone.

which makes sense since everything is supposed to be standard rate or
1/2 rate.

I'm 1 or 2 more practice rides from the check ride. Looking forward to
being done.

KC

Jim Macklin
January 25th 07, 05:14 PM
They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
will still include them.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Kevin Clarke" > wrote in message
link.net...
| Ron Natalie wrote:
| > kevmor wrote:
| >> Also, are steep turns required for the practical test?
I don't see
| >> them in the standards, but I've heard they are.
| >>
| > The PTS changed in October. Steep turns for the
instrument are gone.

| which makes sense since everything is supposed to be
standard rate or
| 1/2 rate.
|
| I'm 1 or 2 more practice rides from the check ride.
Looking forward to
| being done.
|
| KC

Kevin Clarke
January 25th 07, 05:40 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
> will still include them.

I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
wouldn't do normally anyway).

KC

Mark Hansen
January 25th 07, 05:51 PM
On 01/25/07 09:40, Kevin Clarke wrote:
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
>> will still include them.
>>

> I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
> the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
> the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
> hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
> wouldn't do normally anyway).
>
> KC

No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
pressure during the steep turn. I didn't do it until I practiced steep
turns under the hood, and found it made it much easier.

Of course, you have to remember to remove the trim when you roll out ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Kevin Clarke
January 25th 07, 06:13 PM
Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 01/25/07 09:40, Kevin Clarke wrote:
>> Jim Macklin wrote:
>>> They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
>>> will still include them.
>>>

>> I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
>> the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
>> the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
>> hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
>> wouldn't do normally anyway).
>>
>> KC
>
> No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
> trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
> pressure during the steep turn. I didn't do it until I practiced steep
> turns under the hood, and found it made it much easier.

after you are in the turn. Don't futz with the trim. Trim the **** out
of it as you enter the turn. You can go hands off if you do it right.
The plane will circle until you run out of gas!

KC

Mark Hansen
January 25th 07, 07:06 PM
On 01/25/07 10:13, Kevin Clarke wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>>>>

>>> I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
>>> the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
>>> the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
>>> hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
>>> wouldn't do normally anyway).
>>>
>>> KC
>>
>> No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
>> trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
>> pressure during the steep turn. I didn't do it until I practiced steep
>> turns under the hood, and found it made it much easier.
>>

> after you are in the turn. Don't futz with the trim. Trim the **** out
> of it as you enter the turn. You can go hands off if you do it right.
> The plane will circle until you run out of gas!

Well ... this is what I meant. Trim while you're rolling-in and again
while rolling-out.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

B A R R Y[_2_]
January 25th 07, 07:18 PM
Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 01/25/07 09:40, Kevin Clarke wrote:

>> Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
>> wouldn't do normally anyway).
>>
>> KC
>
> No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
> trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
> pressure during the steep turn.

I was taught to add a tick of power, as well as trimming.

Google