PDA

View Full Version : Comair 5191 HSI Heading Bugs?

Sam Spade
January 26th 07, 01:16 PM
Anyone familiar with how the autoflight/HSI interface works on a CRJ100
aircraft?

The NTSB just released the factual data on the Comair crash at Lexington.

Following is a summary page from the FDR report:

http://tinyurl.com/2zovqb

Does this mean the HSI heading bugs were also set to 226 or 227 degrees,
magnetic?

Ron Natalie
January 26th 07, 01:44 PM
Sam Spade wrote:
> Anyone familiar with how the autoflight/HSI interface works on a CRJ100
> aircraft?
>
> The NTSB just released the factual data on the Comair crash at Lexington.
>
> Following is a summary page from the FDR report:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2zovqb
>
> Does this mean the HSI heading bugs were also set to 226 or 227 degrees,
> magnetic?

I've never seen an inflight direction that wasn't in magnetic.

226 *IS* the magnetic heading of Runway 22. It's 222 true
with a 4W variation.

Scott Skylane
January 26th 07, 01:58 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:

> I've never seen an inflight direction that wasn't in magnetic.
>
> 226 *IS* the magnetic heading of Runway 22. It's 222 true
> with a 4W variation.

Uh, yeah. I think the point Sam is trying to determine is whether the
EHSI's had heading bugs pointing roughly 40 degrees off the aircraft
heading while on the takeoff roll. If so, it would seem incredible that
the pilots missed that fact.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Sam Spade
January 26th 07, 03:07 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Sam Spade wrote:
>
>> Anyone familiar with how the autoflight/HSI interface works on a
>> CRJ100 aircraft?
>>
>> The NTSB just released the factual data on the Comair crash at Lexington.
>>
>> Following is a summary page from the FDR report:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2zovqb
>>
>> Does this mean the HSI heading bugs were also set to 226 or 227
>> degrees, magnetic?
>

> I've never seen an inflight direction that wasn't in magnetic.
>
> 226 *IS* the magnetic heading of Runway 22. It's 222 true
> with a 4W variation.

I understand that! ;-)

I was being cautious in my posting; perhaps redundant.

The question is: Do the settings shown on the FDR page I posted mean the
HSI bugs were set to 226 or 227?

Sam Spade
January 26th 07, 03:08 PM
Scott Skylane wrote:

> Ron Natalie wrote:
>

>> I've never seen an inflight direction that wasn't in magnetic.
>>
>> 226 *IS* the magnetic heading of Runway 22. It's 222 true
>> with a 4W variation.
>

> Uh, yeah. I think the point Sam is trying to determine is whether the
> EHSI's had heading bugs pointing roughly 40 degrees off the aircraft
> heading while on the takeoff roll. If so, it would seem incredible that
> the pilots missed that fact.
>
> Happy Flying!
> Scott Skylane

Thanks for the assist! ;-)

Sam Spade
January 26th 07, 07:17 PM
Scott Skylane wrote:
> Ron Natalie wrote:
>

>> I've never seen an inflight direction that wasn't in magnetic.
>>
>> 226 *IS* the magnetic heading of Runway 22. It's 222 true
>> with a 4W variation.
>

> Uh, yeah. I think the point Sam is trying to determine is whether the
> EHSI's had heading bugs pointing roughly 40 degrees off the aircraft
> heading while on the takeoff roll. If so, it would seem incredible that
> the pilots missed that fact.
>
> Happy Flying!
> Scott Skylane

I have just read the NTSB Group Chairman's factual report. The FDR
heading data proves the EHSI headings were set at 227.

Google