PDA

View Full Version : IF labeling on approach charts

kevmor
February 23rd 07, 02:20 AM
I noticed that on some approaches there are fixes labeled IF
(Intermediate Fix), such as FONTS INT in http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/00664IL14.PDF
where there is a cross radial, but other approaches such as EJAAY in
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/05850I15.PDF isn't labeled as an IF. I
looked it up in the AIM but it didn't really give me a reason why some
have it and some don't?

Sam Spade
February 23rd 07, 01:40 PM
kevmor wrote:
> I noticed that on some approaches there are fixes labeled IF
> (Intermediate Fix), such as FONTS INT in http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/00664IL14.PDF
> where there is a cross radial, but other approaches such as EJAAY in
> http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/05850I15.PDF isn't labeled as an IF. I
> looked it up in the AIM but it didn't really give me a reason why some
> have it and some don't?

It was a policy change about 2 years ago. It is added to a procedure
when it is revised.

kevmor
February 23rd 07, 08:11 PM
So they're adding the IF labeling to new/revised approaches? What does
that labeling do for you anyway?

On Feb 23, 5:40 am, Sam Spade > wrote:
> kevmor wrote:
> > I noticed that on some approaches there are fixes labeled IF
> > (Intermediate Fix), such as FONTS INT inhttp://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/00664IL14.PDF
> > where there is a cross radial, but other approaches such as EJAAY in
> >http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/05850I15.PDFisn't labeled as an IF. I
> > looked it up in the AIM but it didn't really give me a reason why some
> > have it and some don't?
>
> It was a policy change about 2 years ago. It is added to a procedure
> when it is revised.

Sam Spade
February 24th 07, 12:51 AM
kevmor wrote:
> So they're adding the IF labeling to new/revised approaches? What does
> that labeling do for you anyway?

Nothing, except for RNAV IAPs, where ATC (as of a year ago) can clear
you direct to the IF provided certain conditions are met. If there are
any stepdown fixes before or after the IF, it is impossible to tell
which fix (waypoint) is the IF unless it is charted.

February 24th 07, 11:03 AM
Sam, my understanding was that atc must give you ** vectors ** to the
final approach course, or you start the app at the ** IAF **. With
atc now possibly clearing you direct an IF, am I now behind the times?

Stan

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:51:13 -0800, Sam Spade >
wrote:
>Nothing, except for RNAV IAPs, where ATC (as of a year ago) can clear
>you direct to the IF provided certain conditions are met.

Sam Spade
February 24th 07, 01:32 PM
wrote:

> Sam, my understanding was that atc must give you ** vectors ** to the
> final approach course, or you start the app at the ** IAF **. With
> atc now possibly clearing you direct an IF, am I now behind the times?
>
> Stan

As to RNVA IAPs you are behind the times. ;-)

Google