PDA

View Full Version : carry a bicycle in a Mooney?

Dave Butler
April 2nd 07, 09:26 PM
I have an M20J and I'd like to be able to take a bicycle sometimes. It's
OK if it doesn't fit through the baggage door, just needs to fit
inside the cabin and not block access through the (only) door. No
passengers, just me in the left seat. I'd prefer not to remove any
seats. I'm willing to accept compromised riding qualities to get one
that fits. Has anyone done this with a Mooney? What bicycle brands and
models will fit, if any? Thanks.

DB

Peter R.
April 2nd 07, 09:45 PM
On 4/2/2007 4:26:49 PM, Dave Butler wrote:

> What bicycle brands and
> models will fit, if any? Thanks.

BikeFriday (http://www.bikefriday.com/) or Dahon (http://www.dahon.com/) are
the two brands that immediately come to my mind as good quality folding
bicycles that should be able to fit into the luggage compartment of a Mooney.

I have a Dahon that fits very easily into the luggage area of my Bonanza V35.

--
Peter

Robert M. Gary
April 2nd 07, 10:02 PM
On Apr 2, 1:26 pm, Dave Butler > wrote:
> I have an M20J and I'd like to be able to take a bicycle sometimes. It's
> OK if it doesn't fit through the baggage door, just needs to fit
> inside the cabin and not block access through the (only) door. No
> passengers, just me in the left seat. I'd prefer not to remove any
> seats. I'm willing to accept compromised riding qualities to get one
> that fits. Has anyone done this with a Mooney? What bicycle brands and
> models will fit, if any? Thanks.
>
> DB

A student of mine recently bought two small motor bikes that fit in
his E model. They fold up and fit in the back (he did remove the rear
seat though). If you are interested I can ask him the brand of the
bikes. He and his girlfriend flew out to Disneyland and were able to
ride the motorbikes around town, no rental car required!!

David Lesher
April 3rd 07, 02:40 AM
Dave Butler > writes:

>I have an M20J and I'd like to be able to take a bicycle sometimes. It's
> OK if it doesn't fit through the baggage door, just needs to fit
>inside the cabin and not block access through the (only) door. No
>passengers, just me in the left seat. I'd prefer not to remove any
>seats. I'm willing to accept compromised riding qualities to get one
>that fits. Has anyone done this with a Mooney? What bicycle brands and
>models will fit, if any? Thanks.

Well, there is:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/01/backpage/3_31_0717_36_58.txt

--
A host is a host from coast to

dave
April 3rd 07, 03:28 AM
I recently bought a Strida. So far I've only put a couple of miles on
it but it does seem to ride well for a small folder. I haven't flown
anywhere with it but it should fit neatly in the back of the bonanza.
It's hard to describe so take a look at strida.com.
Dave
M35

Dave Butler wrote:
> I have an M20J and I'd like to be able to take a bicycle sometimes. It's
> OK if it doesn't fit through the baggage door, just needs to fit inside
> the cabin and not block access through the (only) door. No passengers,
> just me in the left seat. I'd prefer not to remove any seats. I'm
> willing to accept compromised riding qualities to get one that fits. Has
> anyone done this with a Mooney? What bicycle brands and models will fit,
> if any? Thanks.
>
> DB

Mike Noel
April 3rd 07, 05:27 AM
I have a Montague folding mountain bike with 26 inch wheels. It's a decent
bike and I can just squeeze it through the baggage door of my Archer.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

"dave" > wrote in message
>I recently bought a Strida. So far I've only put a couple of miles on it
>but it does seem to ride well for a small folder. I haven't flown
>anywhere with it but it should fit neatly in the back of the bonanza. It's
>hard to describe so take a look at strida.com.
> Dave
> M35
>
> Dave Butler wrote:
>> I have an M20J and I'd like to be able to take a bicycle sometimes. It's
>> OK if it doesn't fit through the baggage door, just needs to fit inside
>> the cabin and not block access through the (only) door. No passengers,
>> just me in the left seat. I'd prefer not to remove any seats. I'm willing
>> to accept compromised riding qualities to get one that fits. Has anyone
>> done this with a Mooney? What bicycle brands and models will fit, if any?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> DB

Google