PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 fusalage on a rail car

Terry M[_3_]
April 9th 07, 07:16 PM
This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the picture
to more fit this group.

Luke
April 9th 07, 09:43 PM
"Terry M" > wrote in message
m...
> This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
> 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
> picture to more fit this group.

I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new 737
fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....

Luke

redc1c4
April 9th 07, 10:46 PM
Luke wrote:

> "Terry M" > wrote in message
> m...
> > This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
> > 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
> > picture to more fit this group.
>
> I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new 737
> fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....
>
> Luke

final assembly somewhere else?

redc1c4,
just guessing, but it looks like the car is designed for it %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide

Scenic
April 9th 07, 11:18 PM
redc1c4 wrote:

> Luke wrote:
>>
>> "Terry M" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> > This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
>> > 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
>> > picture to more fit this group.
>>
>> I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new
>> 737
>> fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....
>>
>> Luke
>
> final assembly somewhere else?

Yes, in Seattle. It is made in Kansas and is shipped to Seattle on these
specially made, long, rail cars, for mating with other parts of the
aeroplane which arrive from other distant places.

Greg Shoemaker
April 9th 07, 11:29 PM
They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly There is
also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010623/p010623.htm
and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010713/p010713a.htm and
http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p000514/p000514.htm for more.

Greg

"redc1c4" > wrote in message
> Luke wrote:
>>
>> "Terry M" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> > This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
>> > 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
>> > picture to more fit this group.
>>
>> I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new
>> 737
>> fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....
>>
>> Luke
>
> final assembly somewhere else?
>
> redc1c4,
> just guessing, but it looks like the car is designed for it %-)
> --
> "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
> considerable watching."
>
> Army Officer's Guide

Scenic
April 9th 07, 11:46 PM
Greg Shoemaker wrote:

> They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly
Not Everett, but Renton, where the narrow body single aisle aeroplanes are
assembled. Everett is wide-body stuff.
> There is
> also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
> train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010623/p010623.htm
> and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010713/p010713a.htm and
> http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p000514/p000514.htm for more.
>
> Greg

Terry M[_3_]
April 10th 07, 12:04 AM
Every once in awhile, someone will post a couple of pictures from Washington
with rail cars of Boeing materials. I just never thought of reposting any
until now.

"Terry M" > wrote in message
m...
> This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
> 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
> picture to more fit this group.

Luke
April 10th 07, 01:16 AM
"Scenic" > wrote in message
> Greg Shoemaker wrote:
>
>> They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly
> Not Everett, but Renton, where the narrow body single aisle aeroplanes are
> assembled. Everett is wide-body stuff.
>> There is
>> also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
>> train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010623/p010623.htm
>> and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010713/p010713a.htm and
>> http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p000514/p000514.htm for more.

Despite working for Boeing for several years at the Everett plant, I was
unaware that the 737 fuselages were assembled in Wichita and shipped whole
to Renton. I had been under the belief that only completed 41 sections came
from Wichita (41 section is the cockpit area). wtf... you learn something
new every day....

Luke

fannum
April 10th 07, 04:34 AM
>"Terry M" > wrote in message
m...
>> This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
>> 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE

I'm in KC, and these fuselages are in our yards all the time. They
come from Spirit in Wichita, old Boeing plant. Renton builds wings and
assembles them. Paint shop is also there.

At times in the past, you'd see bunches of these green 737s lined up
on Boeing field in Seattle, obviously with engines and all assembled.
Still haven't got an answer why since that's their smallest field.

Big question is why the railroad moves them NE from Wichita, then
north to Omaha, before going across Nebraska and west to Seattle.
Maybe we ought to by the train guys a compass!

Cheers, Bob

Meaner than you
April 10th 07, 07:06 AM
well they were put together in seattle, ten they moved it to renton, never
has been put together in Everett....
"Greg Shoemaker" > wrote in message
> They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly There is
> also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
> train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010623/p010623.htm
> and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p010713/p010713a.htm and
> http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p000514/p000514.htm for more.
>
> Greg
>
> "redc1c4" > wrote in message
>> Luke wrote:
>>>
>>> "Terry M" > wrote in message
>>> m...
>>>
>>> I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new
>>> 737
>>> fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....
>>>
>>> Luke
>>
>> final assembly somewhere else?
>>
>> redc1c4,
>> just guessing, but it looks like the car is designed for it %-)
>> --
>> "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
>> considerable watching."
>>
>> Army Officer's Guide

Meaner than you
April 10th 07, 07:08 AM
its the only wat that the cars can go, there was 2 bridges that were too
small for tem to travel through.....
"fannum" > wrote in message

>>"Terry M" > wrote in message
m...
>>> This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
>>> 800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE
>
> I'm in KC, and these fuselages are in our yards all the time. They
> come from Spirit in Wichita, old Boeing plant. Renton builds wings and
> assembles them. Paint shop is also there.
>
> At times in the past, you'd see bunches of these green 737s lined up
> on Boeing field in Seattle, obviously with engines and all assembled.
> Still haven't got an answer why since that's their smallest field.
>
> Big question is why the railroad moves them NE from Wichita, then
> north to Omaha, before going across Nebraska and west to Seattle.
> Maybe we ought to by the train guys a compass!
>
> Cheers, Bob

fannum
April 11th 07, 01:12 PM
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:08:22 -0700, "Meaner than you"
> wrote:

>its the only wat that the cars can go, there was 2 bridges that were too
>small for item to travel through.....
>"fannum" > wrote in message
>>
>> Big question is why the railroad moves them NE from Wichita, then
>> north to Omaha, before going across Nebraska and west to Seattle.
>> Maybe we ought to buy the train guys a compass!

Good answer and thanks.

Where are the bridge/tunnels? Colorado?

Still a bit surprised as the CO Rocky routes are more heavily
traveled, and the northern rail routes are VERY rugged.
(and scenic, well worth the train trip.)

Cheers, Bob

Bob Harrington
April 12th 07, 11:18 AM

Dave Kearton
April 12th 07, 11:29 AM
"Bob Harrington" > wrote in message
| fannum > wrote in
| :
|
| > At times in the past, you'd see bunches of these green 737s lined up
| > on Boeing field in Seattle, obviously with engines and all assembled.
| > Still haven't got an answer why since that's their smallest field.
|
| BFI is the flight test center for the Lazy B, rather longer runway than
RNT,
| good for the big birds.
|
| Bob ^,,^

That plane has a certain homespun charm to it, I wonder what it's been
recycled from ?

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Bob Harrington
April 12th 07, 12:19 PM
"Dave Kearton" > wrote in news:hSnTh.181112
:

> That plane has a certain homespun charm to it, I wonder what it's been
> recycled from ?

Beer cans and Kentucky Fried Chicken sporks...

Meaner than you
April 13th 07, 03:48 AM
old beer cans....LOL
"Dave Kearton" > wrote in message
> "Bob Harrington" > wrote in message
> | fannum > wrote in
> | :
> |
> | > At times in the past, you'd see bunches of these green 737s lined up
> | > on Boeing field in Seattle, obviously with engines and all assembled.
> | > Still haven't got an answer why since that's their smallest field.
> |
> | BFI is the flight test center for the Lazy B, rather longer runway than
> RNT,
> | good for the big birds.
> |
> | Bob ^,,^
> |

> That plane has a certain homespun charm to it, I wonder what it's been
> recycled from ?
>

> --
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave Kearton