PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply in 98 C182S

Dan[_1_]
April 15th 07, 08:11 PM
All,

Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
(or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
looking in the right place?)

What are the options here? How difficult and/or expensive would it be
to have one of these installed? The avionics are relatively new, but I
prefer to use my Garmin 396 for weather, XM, etc. and would really
like to have a place to plug it in.

We'll probably have the plane in the shop soon for a Garmin 430
installation.

Between this issue and the annoying chart clip holder on the yoke, it
sure isn't very compatible with portable GPS equipment. :(

--Dan

Newps
April 15th 07, 10:39 PM
My 296 says it operates on 11-35 volts. So plug it in, you're good to go.

Dan wrote:

> All,
>
> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
> looking in the right place?)
>
> What are the options here? How difficult and/or expensive would it be
> to have one of these installed? The avionics are relatively new, but I
> prefer to use my Garmin 396 for weather, XM, etc. and would really
> like to have a place to plug it in.
>
> We'll probably have the plane in the shop soon for a Garmin 430
> installation.
>
> Between this issue and the annoying chart clip holder on the yoke, it
> sure isn't very compatible with portable GPS equipment. :(
>

> --Dan

Scott Skylane
April 15th 07, 11:04 PM
Dan wrote:
> All,
>
> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
> looking in the right place?)
/snip/

Dan,
You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
this done on several aircraft.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Newps
April 15th 07, 11:53 PM
You can have your mechanic install a cig lighter up under the panel
where you can't see it so you can keep the cord clutter to a minimum.

Scott Skylane wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
>> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
>> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
>> looking in the right place?)
>
> /snip/
>
> Dan,
> You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
> lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
> install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
> this done on several aircraft.
>
> Happy Flying!
> Scott Skylane

Matt Whiting
April 16th 07, 12:29 AM
Newps wrote:
> My 296 says it operates on 11-35 volts. So plug it in, you're good to go.
>

> Dan wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
>> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
>> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
>> looking in the right place?)
>>
>> What are the options here? How difficult and/or expensive would it be
>> to have one of these installed? The avionics are relatively new, but I
>> prefer to use my Garmin 396 for weather, XM, etc. and would really
>> like to have a place to plug it in.
>>
>> We'll probably have the plane in the shop soon for a Garmin 430
>> installation.
>>
>> Between this issue and the annoying chart clip holder on the yoke, it
>> sure isn't very compatible with portable GPS equipment. :(
>>

>> --Dan

Except he doesn't have a plug ... or at least he can't find one.

Matt

Peter Clark
April 16th 07, 01:02 AM
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:04:52 -0800, Scott Skylane
> wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
>> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
>> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
>> looking in the right place?)
>/snip/
>
>Dan,
>You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
>lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
>install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
>this done on several aircraft.

Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
adapter for (a-la http://tinyurl.com/2erxr6 ) in the center pedestal?

April 16th 07, 01:45 AM
In rec.aviation.owning Peter Clark > wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:04:52 -0800, Scott Skylane
> > wrote:

> >Dan wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
> >> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
> >> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
> >> looking in the right place?)
> >/snip/
> >
> >Dan,
> >You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
> >lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
> >install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
> >this done on several aircraft.

> Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
> adapter for (a-la http://tinyurl.com/2erxr6 ) in the center pedestal?

I would think that it should, and if it does, the adapter for cigarette
plugs will be a lot cheaper than having one installed.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

john smith[_2_]
April 16th 07, 02:19 AM
> > Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
> > adapter for (a-la http://tinyurl.com/2erxr6 ) in the center pedestal?
>
> I would think that it should, and if it does, the adapter for cigarette
> plugs will be a lot cheaper than having one installed.

SPORTY'S sells the 12V adaptor that fits the four-pin receptacle.

Dan[_1_]
April 16th 07, 06:04 AM
On Apr 15, 5:02 pm, Peter Clark
> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:04:52 -0800, Scott Skylane
>
> > wrote:
> >Dan wrote:
> >> All,
>
> >> Our club is in the final stages of purchasing a 1998 Cessna 182S.
> >> Much to my dismay, I noticed the lack of a 12-volt cigarette lighter
> >> (or it's 24-volt equivalent) anywhere to be found. (am I just not
> >> looking in the right place?)
> >/snip/
>
> >Dan,
> >You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
> >lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
> >install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
> >this done on several aircraft.
>
> Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
> adapter for (a-lahttp://tinyurl.com/2erxr6) in the center pedestal?

Well, I didn't see that, but I was looking on the right side, mainly.
I'll have to check on the center panel. Does anyone know definatively
if late 90s 182s have this connector? I suppose I can look in the
manual... We haven't finalized purchase of the aircraft yet, but
having flown Pipers for about 95% of my flight time to date, the
downward visibility and shade offered by the high wing were definate
pluses.

I thought I wasn't going to like high wing, but it's not that bad
actually...

--Dan

Dan[_1_]
April 16th 07, 06:32 AM
On Apr 15, 10:04 pm, "Dan" > wrote:
> On Apr 15, 5:02 pm, Peter Clark
>

> > wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:04:52 -0800, Scott Skylane
>
> > > wrote:

> > >/snip/
>
> > >Dan,
> > >You're right, the late '90's Cessna singles did not have cigarette
> > >lighter jacks installed. There is plenty of room on the panel to
> > >install one (or better yet, two), just like the older models. I've seen
> > >this done on several aircraft.
>
> > Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
> > adapter for (a-lahttp://tinyurl.com/2erxr6) in the center pedestal?
>
> Well, I didn't see that, but I was looking on the right side, mainly.
> I'll have to check on the center panel. Does anyone know definatively
> if late 90s 182s have this connector? I suppose I can look in the
> manual... We haven't finalized purchase of the aircraft yet, but
> having flown Pipers for about 95% of my flight time to date, the
> downward visibility and shade offered by the high wing were definate
> pluses.
>
> I thought I wasn't going to like high wing, but it's not that bad
> actually...
>
> --Dan- Hide quoted text -

OK, anyone know where I can find an online manual for a 98 182S? : )

--Dan

Dave Butler
April 16th 07, 03:06 PM
Dan wrote:

> What are the options here? How difficult and/or expensive would it be
> to have one of these installed? The avionics are relatively new, but I
> prefer to use my Garmin 396 for weather, XM, etc. and would really
> like to have a place to plug it in.
>
> We'll probably have the plane in the shop soon for a Garmin 430
> installation.

Have the avionics shop install a 4-pin connector to power the 396,
connect the audio output from the 396 to the audio panel, and the flight
plan output from the 430 to the 396. That's what I have (except mine's a
GNS480). They made up a special cable for the 396. One plug/cable does
it all, no cables dangling all over the cockpit.

Dave

Maxwell
April 16th 07, 03:53 PM
"Dan" > wrote in message
oups.com...

We haven't finalized purchase of the aircraft yet, but
> having flown Pipers for about 95% of my flight time to date, the
> downward visibility and shade offered by the high wing were definate
> pluses.
>
> I thought I wasn't going to like high wing, but it's not that bad
> actually...

They have always been my preference for the exact same reason. I usually fly
172s because of the price and availibility in my area, but the 182 is
actually my preference. I think you might find that high wing a bit
addictive, I have.

xyzzy
April 16th 07, 06:40 PM
On Apr 16, 1:04 am, "Dan" > wrote:

> > Doesn't it have one of those weird 4 pin ARINC plugs that you need an
> > adapter for (a-lahttp://tinyurl.com/2erxr6) in the center pedestal?
>
> Well, I didn't see that, but I was looking on the right side, mainly.
> I'll have to check on the center panel. Does anyone know definatively
> if late 90s 182s have this connector?

I believe it was optional. My flying club had a fleet of 3 C172S's
ranging from 2000-2002 model year, and two of them had the 4-pin ARINC
plug and one did not. Coincidently (or not?) the one without the 4-
pin plug was the one with the single (rather than dual) axis KAP-140
and was also the oldest of the 3 (model year 2000).

> I suppose I can look in the
> manual...

I don't think the manual will tell you, especially if it was optional
equipment. Why not just ask the seller?

Google