PDA

View Full Version : SDF Approach?

A Guy Called Tyketto
April 17th 07, 06:04 AM

John Godwin
April 17th 07, 06:45 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto > wrote in
t:

> In wanting to find out more about it, I pull it up on
> Airnav, and see that Runway 23 has an SDF approach. It looks like
> a LOC approach, no OM, MM, IM, or glideslope. So my question is,
> what exactly is this type of approach, and how does it differ from
> a LOC approach?

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

--

swag
April 17th 07, 06:45 AM
> wrote:

/the course is not as accurate (wider), otherwise probably close to
the same

A Guy Called Tyketto
April 17th 07, 07:50 AM

Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]
April 17th 07, 10:32 AM
John Godwin wrote:
>> In wanting to find out more about it, I pull it up on
>> Airnav, and see that Runway 23 has an SDF approach. It looks like
>> a LOC approach, no OM, MM, IM, or glideslope. So my question is,
>> what exactly is this type of approach, and how does it differ from
>> a LOC approach?
>
> The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
> be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

The important thing to know is that you fly it just like you fly a localizer...
just don't be surprised if the runway is angled away from you a little bit when
you break out. I used to have to fly an SDF approach into Greenville, NC all
the time. Washington Center would give radar vectors until I picked up the NDB
that was the IAF for the approach, then it was all on me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Larry Dighera
April 17th 07, 11:39 AM
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
> wrote in
>:

>The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
>be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
(LDA) approach?

Ron Natalie
April 17th 07, 12:08 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
> > wrote in
> >:
>
>> The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
>> be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.
>
> How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
> (LDA) approach?

A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
is 6 or 12.

Larry Dighera
April 17th 07, 12:21 PM
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:08:08 -0400, Ron Natalie >
wrote in >:

>Larry Dighera wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
>> > wrote in
>> >:
>>
>>> The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
>>> be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.
>>
>> How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
>> (LDA) approach?
>
>A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
>width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
>to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
>is 6 or 12.

Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
new or just few in number?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]
April 17th 07, 05:15 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
>> A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
>> width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
>> to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
>> is 6 or 12.
>
> Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
> new or just few in number?

Old; few in number. Very few in number.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Ron Natalie
April 18th 07, 01:32 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
> Larry Dighera wrote:
>>> A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
>>> width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
>>> to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
>>> is 6 or 12.
>> Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
>> new or just few in number?
>

> Old; few in number. Very few in number.

Something like 26 in the entire country.

Google