PDA

View Full Version : Re: Are UAV controllers pilots?

Cub Driver
June 30th 03, 10:51 PM
Well, it didn't take long for this scenario to come true.

There's a private company offering security against terrorist attack.
The nuclear plant (whatever) sets up a webcam. The company sends out
the photos to folks earning $10/hour to watch for suspicious pickup
trucks, Terrorist Cessnas, etc. If they see such, they call the
company, who tried to chat up the terrorist by a loudspeaker installed
at the site. If the answers don't compute, then the police are called.

And the guy who wrote up the story for the Wall Street Journal pointed
out: why pay $10 to Americans? Why even pay $4 to smart Indians in
Bangalore? Shuck, we can pay 50 cents to smart peasants in Guangdong
Province of China!

>And we could save a few bucks by outsourcing the pilots to India and
>eventually to China.
>
>>> (And if personnel needs are serious, there's an additional population
>>> of old farts who have gotten pretty good at Flight Sim.)
>>
>>There's a thought. Why send troops thousands of miles around the world when
>>they can all work from their own homes.
>
>all the best -- Dan Ford (email: info AT danford.net)
>
>see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
>Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

all the best -- Dan Ford (email: info AT danford.net)

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Google