PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Pilot can't get general to recuse"

BUFDRVR
July 2nd 03, 01:00 AM
>A stock car
>racer in an Indy car (in a full field) can't process the information fast
>enough, whereas an Indy racer in a stock car would probably be
>bored with the amount of time to make decisions.

Wrong. Do a Google search on Al Unser's venture into NASCAR around '95-'95.
Yes, CART was turning laps at 220+ while NASCAR was around 180+, but Unser was
quite impressed (actually he said scared) with the close distances NASCAR
constantly ran at it compared to CART. Which, to close the loop on your
analogy means, speed isn't everything.

>Most heavy pilots have no concept of a velocity vector (I'm exaggerating),
>while an F-16 pilot is way out in front of the jet. A heavy pilot in
>an F-16 is apt to freak-out with an M-16 going off 15kft below him,
>while a fighter pilot in an F-16 would probably just bump the throttle
>a bit, or maybe yawn.

I've flown both ME and RED FLAG sorties with fighter pilots and to a man, each
was impressed with the complexities involved with maneuvering a 380,000+ jet
around in a high threat enviornment. Chances are an F-16 pilot engaged by an
SA-2 in a B-52H would either over G the jet or become confused on how to
maneuver without doing so. Hell, give me 9 G's and there's nothing (well, OK
almost nothing) I wouldn't feel comfortable facing.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Alan Minyard
July 2nd 03, 04:42 PM
On 02 Jul 2003 00:00:42 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

>>A stock car
>>racer in an Indy car (in a full field) can't process the information fast
>>enough, whereas an Indy racer in a stock car would probably be
>>bored with the amount of time to make decisions.
>
>Wrong. Do a Google search on Al Unser's venture into NASCAR around '95-'95.
>Yes, CART was turning laps at 220+ while NASCAR was around 180+, but Unser was
>quite impressed (actually he said scared) with the close distances NASCAR
>constantly ran at it compared to CART. Which, to close the loop on your
>analogy means, speed isn't everything.
>
>>Most heavy pilots have no concept of a velocity vector (I'm exaggerating),
>>while an F-16 pilot is way out in front of the jet. A heavy pilot in
>>an F-16 is apt to freak-out with an M-16 going off 15kft below him,
>>while a fighter pilot in an F-16 would probably just bump the throttle
>>a bit, or maybe yawn.
>
>I've flown both ME and RED FLAG sorties with fighter pilots and to a man, each
>was impressed with the complexities involved with maneuvering a 380,000+ jet
>around in a high threat enviornment. Chances are an F-16 pilot engaged by an
>SA-2 in a B-52H would either over G the jet or become confused on how to
>maneuver without doing so. Hell, give me 9 G's and there's nothing (well, OK
>almost nothing) I wouldn't feel comfortable facing.
>

>BUFDRVR
>
>"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it harelips
>everyone on Bear Creek"

Be aware that "9gs" is not always a good idea. A friend of mine was
recently permanently grounded (and probably disabled) when his student
pilot inappropriately pulled 8g's on a training flight in a FA-18.
Two of his cervical vertebrae suffered ruptured discs.

Al Minyard

BUFDRVR
July 3rd 03, 02:21 PM
>Be aware that "9gs" is not always a good idea. A friend of mine was
>recently permanently grounded (and probably disabled) when his student
>pilot inappropriately pulled 8g's on a training flight in a FA-18.
>Two of his cervical vertebrae suffered ruptured discs.

I've been told that 9 G's is not very comfortable, having only experienced 7,
I'll have to take their word for it. *However*, I'll take the crushed vertebrae
rather then the missile headed my way....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Google