PDA

View Full Version : Couple of RF-101 Voodoo Questions...

MM
July 2nd 03, 01:05 PM
I have a couple of questions about the RF-101C that I'd appreciate
comments on. Most questions refer to photos or drawings from the
Squadron publication, 'Modern Military AIrcraft: Voodoo' by Lou Drendel
and Paul Stevens (1985).

1. Camo Schemes: Does anyone have any good references, especially three
view drawings or photos that depict the experimental camo scheme
patterns carried by several RF-101's at Shaw AFB as well as early
during the war in SEA?

I'm refering to the schemes other than the 'Standard' SEA scheme, such
as those featuring a black & dark green pattern with a LARGE stars &
bars on the fuselage , and even a 'Tiger Stripe' green & black scheme.
I am referencing pages 20, 28 & 30 in the above reference.

2. Photo Flash Pod: Can anyone comment on the use of the flash
cartridge ejector pod carried on the centerline station of the 'Toy
Tiger' RF-101's? A small photo is featured on page 30 of the above
reference. Specifically:
- what, if any, designation this pod carried.
- any references to further drawings, references on dimensions or
photos of this item.
-comment on how often or what time period this item was carried.

3. ECM Pod carriage: Can anyone comment on the carriage of ECM pods on
the wing stations (?) of RF-101C's. I'm refering to page 39 of the same
reference, depicting an aircraft at Phu Cat AB
Specifically:
- what time period or operations were the pods carried?
- can anyone comment on the specific pod carried in this photo, or in
general what pods were carried by the Voodoo.
- can anyone reference any additional photos or drawings of the wing
pylon used to carry the ECM pod/ Also, what else could be carried on
the wing stations of RF-101's?

As always, I'd appreciate anyone's comments, photos, drawings,
suggested references to periodicals, books or websites, and of coarse
any assistance you feel might be helpful.

Thanks.

MM

W. D. Allen Sr.
July 2nd 03, 06:50 PM
For what its worth...

The USAF learned they could not fly solo RF-101 photo
missions without Navy ECM systems. We were directed to send
them 100 of our ALQ-51 deception repeaters. The ALQ-51
originally designed to protect Navy A-3D Skywarriors for
their Cold War SIOP mission. Once the SA-2s started flying
in NVN the Navy began installing the ALQ-51 in A-4s, A-6s,
F-4s, RF-8s, etc.

The ALQ-71 the Air Force was using required four a/c to fly
in tight formation to hopefully counter the Fan Song radar.
If one of those four a/c slid out of formation it could then
be tracked and fired at. The AF ALQ-71 [76?] was considered
by the Navy to function more like a tracking beacon than an
ECM system. For single plane missions it could be more
hazardous than having no ECM whatsoever.

Although OSD assigned a squadron's set of ALQ-71s to a Navy
A-4 squadron for evaluation the squadron commanding officer,
Dick Seymour, never let them be put on his planes. But not
complying with an OSD "command" didn't preclude Dick from
ultimately becoming a Vice Admiral running the Naval Air
Systems Command.

WDA

end

"MM" > wrote in message

> I have a couple of questions about the RF-101C that I'd
appreciate
> comments on. Most questions refer to photos or drawings
from the
> Squadron publication, 'Modern Military AIrcraft: Voodoo'
by Lou Drendel
> and Paul Stevens (1985).
>
> 1. Camo Schemes: Does anyone have any good references,
especially three
> view drawings or photos that depict the experimental camo
scheme
> patterns carried by several RF-101's at Shaw AFB as well
as early
> during the war in SEA?
>
> I'm refering to the schemes other than the 'Standard' SEA
scheme, such
> as those featuring a black & dark green pattern with a
LARGE stars &
> bars on the fuselage , and even a 'Tiger Stripe' green &
black scheme.
> I am referencing pages 20, 28 & 30 in the above reference.
>
> 2. Photo Flash Pod: Can anyone comment on the use of the
flash
> cartridge ejector pod carried on the centerline station of
the 'Toy
> Tiger' RF-101's? A small photo is featured on page 30 of
the above
> reference. Specifically:
> - what, if any, designation this pod carried.
> - any references to further drawings, references on
dimensions or
> photos of this item.
> -comment on how often or what time period this item was
carried.

> 3. ECM Pod carriage: Can anyone comment on the carriage of
ECM pods on
> the wing stations (?) of RF-101C's. I'm refering to page
39 of the same
> reference, depicting an aircraft at Phu Cat AB
> Specifically:
> - what time period or operations were the pods carried?
> - can anyone comment on the specific pod carried in this
photo, or in
> general what pods were carried by the Voodoo.
> - can anyone reference any additional photos or drawings
of the wing
> pylon used to carry the ECM pod/ Also, what else could be
carried on
> the wing stations of RF-101's?
>
> As always, I'd appreciate anyone's comments, photos,
drawings,
> suggested references to periodicals, books or websites,
and of coarse
> any assistance you feel might be helpful.
>
> Thanks.
>
> MM

Google