PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Aircraft Instrumentation Question

RobbelothE
July 5th 03, 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a "standard" airspeed
indicator and an F-1 airspeed indicator is? Was there any external difference
when one was installed? I'm looking at B-24's.
Ed
"'Twas a woman who drove me to drink,
and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it."
W. C. Fields
(Delete text after dot com for e-mail reply.)

Kilroy
July 5th 03, 11:36 PM
"RobbelothE" wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a "standard" airspeed
> indicator and an F-1 airspeed indicator is? Was there any external
difference
> when one was installed? I'm looking at B-24's.
> Ed
It is doubtful if any of us who flew them were ever aware there were two
different kinds of airspeed indicators. Most of us were happy to remember to
check that the Pitot Tube covers were removed!

robert arndt
July 6th 03, 07:34 AM
"Kilroy" > wrote in message >...
> "RobbelothE" wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a "standard" airspeed
> > indicator and an F-1 airspeed indicator is? Was there any external
> difference
> > when one was installed? I'm looking at B-24's.
> > Ed
> It is doubtful if any of us who flew them were ever aware there were two
> different kinds of airspeed indicators. Most of us were happy to remember to
> check that the Pitot Tube covers were removed!

The 1942 Pioneer F-1 Airspeed Indicator had a dial scale that read
0-100 mph with a secondary scale reading hundreds of mph, IIRC. Does
that help any... or is there some other major difference?

Rob

Google