PDA

View Full Version : US Marines Land In Liberia...aboard an Mi-8T!!

Micbloo
July 7th 03, 11:00 PM
Anyone catch this on the news channels? A contingent of US military experts
including heavily armed US Marines landed today at the US Embassy compound
helipad in Monrovia, Liberia aboard.....a Russian Mi-8T helicopter. Nice
looking ship, hooked up with rescue winch, in blue-white colors. It had an
American flag
stenciled on the cockpit door with the word :"MARINES" printed above it. The
pilots also looked to be Marines also. Anyone have any info on this? Where
did they get the ship and why use the Mi-8? Possibly because they didnt want
to scare the locals so they "snuck in" on the Mi-8.

Gerard

Andrew Chaplin
July 8th 03, 12:20 AM
Micbloo wrote:

> Anyone catch this on the news channels? A contingent of US military experts
> including heavily armed US Marines landed today at the US Embassy compound
> helipad in Monrovia, Liberia aboard.....a Russian Mi-8T helicopter. Nice
> looking ship, hooked up with rescue winch, in blue-white colors. It had an
> American flag
> stenciled on the cockpit door with the word :"MARINES" printed above it. The
> pilots also looked to be Marines also. Anyone have any info on this? Where
> did they get the ship and why use the Mi-8? Possibly because they didnt want
> to scare the locals so they "snuck in" on the Mi-8.

I saw that too and thought it passing strange.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Micbloo
July 8th 03, 03:07 AM
>Subject: Re: US Marines Land In Liberia...aboard an Mi-8T!!

>From: Andrew Chaplin

>I saw that too and thought it passing strange.

Apparently this is old news. Check out this website:
http://www.icioregon.com/

Harry Andreas
July 8th 03, 04:44 PM
In article >, Andrew Chaplin
> wrote:

> Micbloo wrote:
> >
> > Anyone catch this on the news channels? A contingent of US military
experts
> > including heavily armed US Marines landed today at the US Embassy compound
> > helipad in Monrovia, Liberia aboard.....a Russian Mi-8T helicopter. Nice
> > looking ship, hooked up with rescue winch, in blue-white colors. It had an
> > American flag
> > stenciled on the cockpit door with the word :"MARINES" printed above
it. The
> > pilots also looked to be Marines also. Anyone have any info on this? Where
> > did they get the ship and why use the Mi-8? Possibly because they
didnt want
> > to scare the locals so they "snuck in" on the Mi-8.

Picture on the front page of the LA Times today.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

Google