PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Soviet vs. US/Allied air combat...

David
July 8th 03, 01:50 AM
I have seen a listing many years ago of actual air-to-air combat
between Soviet pilots and US/Allied pilots. This will need to have
historical citations and footnotes, since this is to settle a very
serious bet, covering a round of drinks. I am looking for:
Place
Date
Aircraft
Outcome

BTW, I was hoping to get an answer of other than "The NVAF vs. USAF,
196_", since there weren't any Soviet pilots there, wink, wink, nudge,
nudge.
Art K., Ed R., anybody?

David

David
July 9th 03, 01:05 AM
On 8 Jul 2003 13:10:13 -0700, (Quant) wrote:

>David > wrote in message >...
>> I have seen a listing many years ago of actual air-to-air combat
>> between Soviet pilots and US/Allied pilots. This will need to have
>> historical citations and footnotes, since this is to settle a very
>> serious bet, covering a round of drinks. I am looking for:
>> Place
>> Date
>> Aircraft
>> Outcome
>>
>> BTW, I was hoping to get an answer of other than "The NVAF vs. USAF,
>> 196_", since there weren't any Soviet pilots there, wink, wink, nudge,
>> nudge.
>> Art K., Ed R., anybody?
>>
>> David
>

>Place: Gulf of Suez
>Date: June 30th 1970
>Aircraft: 6 quartets of Egyptian MiG-21's, flown by Soviet pilots
>against Israeli F-4's and MirageIII's
>Outcome: 3 MIG's shot down by Mirages, 2 MIG's shot down by F-4's.
>
>Source: IAF site:
>http://www.iaf.org.il/iaf/doa_iis.dll/Serve/item/English/1.3.3.6.3.3.html
>

>One of the best known dogfights of the Israeli-Egyptian War of
>Attrition was the encounter with MiG-21's flown by _Soviet pilots_. On
>the afternoon hours of June 30th 1970, Israeli Phantoms attacked an
>Egyptian radar installation at Suhuna, near the Gulf of Suez, with
>other Phantoms and Mirages providing air cover. Soon enough, 6
>quartets of Egyptian MiG-21's, flown by Soviet pilots, were scrambled
>against the Israelis. In a matter of seconds, the scene was that of a
>massive air brawl, which resulted in 5 MiG's being shot down - 3 by
>Mirages and 2 by Phantoms

Thanks,
That is the 3rd of three listings that I remember, Korea being the
2nd. What I am_REALLY_ looking for is what I remember as the first
such encounter, and I don't want to say anything else, so as to not to
be seen as fishing for a specific answer .

David

Google