PDA

View Full Version : Meaning/origin of Bravo Zulu

morten lund
July 8th 03, 03:11 PM
Hi all!

I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu a couple of times in this group, and
I'd like to know exactly what the phrase means, and if someone knows the
origin of the phrase.

My first guess would be that its connected to Adm. Zumwaldt in soe way?

cheers, Morten

--
*****
Legal notice: This .sig is required by law in the state of Denmark

Ed Rasimus
July 8th 03, 05:56 PM
"morten lund" > wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu a couple of times in this group, and
>I'd like to know exactly what the phrase means, and if someone knows the
>origin of the phrase.
>
>My first guess would be that its connected to Adm. Zumwaldt in soe way?

Enter "Bravo Zulu" in Google and take the first entry in the
returns--you'll get this:

The term originates from the Allied Signals Book (ATP 1), which in the
aggregate is for official use only. Signals are sent as letters and/or
numbers, which have meanings by themselves sometimes or in certain
combinations. A single table in ATP 1 is called "governing groups,"
that is, the entire signal that follows the governing group is to be
performed according to the "governor." The letter "B" indicates this
table, and the second letter (A through Z) gives more specific
information. For example, "BA" might mean "You have permission to . .
.. (do whatever the rest of the flashing light, flag hoist or radio
transmission says) "BZ" happens to be the last item in the governing
groups table. It means "well done".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Cub Driver
July 8th 03, 06:23 PM
>I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu a couple of times in this group, and
>I'd like to know exactly what the phrase means, and if someone knows the
>origin of the phrase.

The only time it was ever directed at me, the writer was praising a
book. So I decided it must mean: "Brilliant job!"

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Dav1936531
July 9th 03, 02:45 AM
>From: "morten lund"
>

>I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu<

Wasn't Bravo Zulu the younger brother of Shaka Zulu? Jim Brown played Shaka
Zulu in the self titled movie and Mr. T played Bravo Zulu IIRC. So there ya
have it. :)
Dave

Gordon
July 9th 03, 03:51 AM

>Wasn't Bravo Zulu the younger brother of Shaka Zulu? Jim Brown played Shaka
>Zulu in the self titled movie and Mr. T played Bravo Zulu IIRC. So there ya
>have it. :)

A little known fact of the Zulu wars was that the British troops at the time
suffered from horrible desentary. It affected their fighting ability and
decimated their ranks. It was bad enough that they called themselves the
"Ah****s".

The African warriors made it a habit to always applaud their leader, yelling,
"Bravo!" whenever Shaka Tailfeather Zulu approached. They began to be called
the Bravo Zulus by their foes.

In a hard pressed battle near Roark's Truckstop, the sole unimpaired British
soldier manned a gatling gun, sweeping the advancing Zulus with murderous fire.
Indeed, it only took one Ah**** to wipe out a thousand Bravo Zulus.

<cof>

Gordon

S. Sampson
July 9th 03, 04:02 AM
"Gordon" > wrote

> Indeed, it only took one Ah**** to wipe out a thousand Bravo Zulus.

Argh!

Bravo Sierra - You're full of ****
Bravo Zulu - Your **** don't stink

Dave Kearton
July 9th 03, 12:03 PM
"Gordon" > wrote in message

<< snipping to protect the innocent >>

| In a hard pressed battle near Roark's Truckstop, the sole unimpaired
British
| soldier manned a gatling gun, sweeping the advancing Zulus with murderous
fire.
| Indeed, it only took one Ah**** to wipe out a thousand Bravo Zulus.
|
| <cof>
|
| Gordon

Congratulations Gordon,

I know you've wanted to tell that story since you were 12, I'm glad you
carpe'd the opportunity.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Kevin Darling
July 10th 03, 03:30 AM
"morten lund" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all!
>
> I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu a couple of times in this group, and
> I'd like to know exactly what the phrase means, and if someone knows the
> origin of the phrase.
>
> My first guess would be that its connected to Adm. Zumwaldt in soe way?

See: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-2.htm

Which also points out that it didn't exist until 1949, and wouldn't
have been pronounced "Bravo Zulu" until 1956 (at least in the US
Navy).

morten lund
July 11th 03, 04:15 PM
Thanks all for the answers :-)

cheers,
Morten

"morten lund" > wrote in message
k...
> Hi all!
>
> I've come across the phrase: Bravo Zulu a couple of times in this group,
and
> I'd like to know exactly what the phrase means, and if someone knows the
> origin of the phrase.
>
> My first guess would be that its connected to Adm. Zumwaldt in soe way?
>
> cheers, Morten
>
> --
> *****
> Legal notice: This .sig is required by law in the state of Denmark

Gordon
July 12th 03, 03:44 PM
>| Jeez...you mean no one gave this guy his props for that?
>|
>| That was _horrible_!
>|
>| Good freakin' lord, that sucked.
>|
>| I wish I had said it.
>

>Sometimes Gordon is the straight man, sometimes not.

In my current neibberhood, I am indeed known as the 'straight man'. Although
sometimes the natives shorten it and simply yell, "BREEDER!" as I go past. :\

yf
Gordon

Google