PDA

View Full Version : C85 Oil Leak

Dick[_1_]
May 1st 07, 11:03 PM
A small oil leak has shown up topside and immediately behind the nosebowl
on my Zodiac 601 HD powered with a C85. As near as can be seen, the
crankcase nipple connection and hose leading to the air/oil separator is not
"wet" or showing leakage. Neither the hose nor air/oil separator are
blocked.

There is extensive riveted baffling around the crank/prop flange area which
blocks a direct visual inspection.

Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement method
a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar to old
chevy small blocks?

any help would be appreciated, thanks, Dick

Tri-Pacer
May 2nd 07, 07:40 PM
-----> blocks a direct visual inspection.

> Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement
> method a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar
> to old chevy small blocks?

There is a split seal for Continentals with flanged crankshafts which
installs without too much trouble.

A few years back I replaced a seal on a C-85 without doing enough
troubleshooting. After replacement, the leak remained. it turned out the
crankcase vent line had been moved and was pressurizing the crankcase.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Dick[_1_]
May 2nd 07, 11:00 PM
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I finally found a Continental Manual showing that
split seal used on my flanged crank.

But I have noticed lately that my air/oil separator is pushing almost
nothing out the drain hose to atmosphere. ie: lot cleaner than usual belly
<G>. Now I wonder about that crankcase being pressurized possibility.....The
one item I didn't check for blockage was the 90 degree fitting coming out
the case side.

Sure would rather unblock something than pull that spinner, prop and
baffling <G>.

Dick

"Tri-Pacer" > wrote in message
> -----> blocks a direct visual inspection.
>>
>> Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement
>> method a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar
>> to old chevy small blocks?
>>
> There is a split seal for Continentals with flanged crankshafts which
> installs without too much trouble.
>
> A few years back I replaced a seal on a C-85 without doing enough
> troubleshooting. After replacement, the leak remained. it turned out the
> crankcase vent line had been moved and was pressurizing the crankcase.
>
> Cheers:
>
> Paul
> N1431A
> KPLU