PDA

View Full Version : First Solo

May 2nd 07, 05:02 PM
I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
nervous... Any advice?

Larry Dighera
May 2nd 07, 05:22 PM
On 2 May 2007 09:02:51 -0700, wrote in
om>:

>I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
>nervous... Any advice?

Wear a cheap shirt. :-)

Clue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_solo_flight

Erik
May 2nd 07, 05:28 PM
wrote:

> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Yep, wear a cheap shirt. One with a little sentimental
value, though.

Don't be shocked when the plane turns into a rocket. You're going
to shoot up like never before. My CFI was a pretty big guy so the
difference in weight was astounding.

Watch the ground go away beneath you. It's great stuff.

From there, it's all routine. Fly your pattern. Relax. It's
really nothing you haven't done before.

On final, don't let your CFI's absence keep you from hearing the
stuff they normally say. WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED and whatever else
they generally bring up. I planned to take a tape recorder and just
have it repeat that crap to me while I came in but I never got around
to it.

May 2nd 07, 05:53 PM
On May 2, 11:28 am, Erik > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> > nervous... Any advice?
>
> Yep, wear a cheap shirt. One with a little sentimental
> value, though.
>
> Don't be shocked when the plane turns into a rocket. You're going
> to shoot up like never before. My CFI was a pretty big guy so the
> difference in weight was astounding.
>
> Watch the ground go away beneath you. It's great stuff.
>
> From there, it's all routine. Fly your pattern. Relax. It's
> really nothing you haven't done before.
>
> On final, don't let your CFI's absence keep you from hearing the
> stuff they normally say. WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED and whatever else
> they generally bring up. I planned to take a tape recorder and just
> have it repeat that crap to me while I came in but I never got around
> to it.

I hope there will be little to no cross wind that day. :-) I still
need practice in that area + remember to turn the yoke into the
wind... I also need to feel comfortable doing a slip which kind of
freaks me out at this point.

Dallas
May 2nd 07, 06:22 PM
On 2 May 2007 09:02:51 -0700, wrote:

> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Yeah, enjoy yourself!

I was anxious a week before, anxious the day before and anxious at the
exact moment when he stepped out of the aircraft. All that stopped when I
picked up the checklist to restart the engine. The training takes over and
it all becomes pretty automatic.

Being a bit nervous is all part of the normal process.

(Be sure to remember every detail for years of good cocktail party
conversation.)

--
Dallas

Erik
May 2nd 07, 06:39 PM
Dallas wrote:

> (Be sure to remember every detail for years of good cocktail party
> conversation.)

Like you can forget.

Larry Dighera
May 2nd 07, 06:48 PM
On 2 May 2007 09:53:01 -0700, wrote in
. com>:

>I hope there will be little to no cross wind that day. :-) I still
>need practice in that area + remember to turn the yoke into the
>wind... I also need to feel comfortable doing a slip which kind of
>freaks me out at this point.

Most flight instructors don't announce the first solo in advance, just
so you won't psych yourself into a state of over apprehension. It's
probably a lot easier on the student if the CFI just gets out of the
aircraft after you've been practicing that day, and says, "Give me
three good landings without me onboard."

Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
incident or accident statistic. He trusts you to do what he has
taught you; you should trust his judgment, try to overcome your
apprehension through preparation, and relax and savor the joy of this
milestone on your journey to becoming an airman.

Just review all the things you have learned, and you'll do fine.
Preparation is very important in aviation.

Erik
May 2nd 07, 06:55 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:

> Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
> job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
> incident or accident statistic.

Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
logbook gets burned up!"

May 2nd 07, 07:11 PM
On May 2, 12:55 pm, Erik > wrote:
> Larry Dighera wrote:
> > Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
> > job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
> > incident or accident statistic.
>
> Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
> logbook gets burned up!"

Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

Larry Dighera
May 2nd 07, 07:13 PM
On 2 May 2007 11:11:23 -0700, wrote in
. com>:

>Will I be in radio contact with him?

No.

>Does it matter?

No.

ManhattanMan
May 2nd 07, 07:15 PM
wrote:
> On May 2, 12:55 pm, Erik > wrote:
>> Larry Dighera wrote:
>>> Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
>>> job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
>>> incident or accident statistic.
>>
>> Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
>> logbook gets burned up!"
>
> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

Mine went up in the tower to keep tabs on me - even had the controler remind
me to watch my pattern altitude :)

May 2nd 07, 07:20 PM
On May 2, 1:15 pm, "ManhattanMan" > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> >> Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
> >> logbook gets burned up!"
>
> > Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>
> Mine went up in the tower to keep tabs on me - even had the controler remind
> me to watch my pattern altitude :)

I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
comfortable not talking to him...lol

BDS[_2_]
May 2nd 07, 07:24 PM
"Erik" > wrote

> Yep, wear a cheap shirt. One with a little sentimental
> value, though.
>
> Don't be shocked when the plane turns into a rocket. You're going
> to shoot up like never before. My CFI was a pretty big guy so the
> difference in weight was astounding.
>
> Watch the ground go away beneath you. It's great stuff.
>
> From there, it's all routine. Fly your pattern. Relax. It's
> really nothing you haven't done before.
>
> On final, don't let your CFI's absence keep you from hearing the
> stuff they normally say. WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED and whatever else
> they generally bring up. I planned to take a tape recorder and just
> have it repeat that crap to me while I came in but I never got around
> to it.

And finally, once back on the ground be sure to congratulate yourself for
being able to take off, fly the pattern, and land all by yourself!

BDS

tom418
May 2nd 07, 07:39 PM
Larry, what you said reminds me of an article in "Flying" back in the 70's
called "Good-Bye Dobbs". It described a new CFI's first solo student. The
CFI was thinking about a contingency plan in case the student had an
accident. I think he was going to claim that the student took the plane w/o
permission...
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On 2 May 2007 09:53:01 -0700, wrote in
> . com>:
>
> >I hope there will be little to no cross wind that day. :-) I still
> >need practice in that area + remember to turn the yoke into the
> >wind... I also need to feel comfortable doing a slip which kind of
> >freaks me out at this point.
>

> Most flight instructors don't announce the first solo in advance, just
> so you won't psych yourself into a state of over apprehension. It's
> probably a lot easier on the student if the CFI just gets out of the
> aircraft after you've been practicing that day, and says, "Give me
> three good landings without me onboard."
>
> Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
> job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
> incident or accident statistic. He trusts you to do what he has
> taught you; you should trust his judgment, try to overcome your
> apprehension through preparation, and relax and savor the joy of this
> milestone on your journey to becoming an airman.
>
> Just review all the things you have learned, and you'll do fine.
> Preparation is very important in aviation.

tom418
May 2nd 07, 07:41 PM
After you make your third (or whatever) landing, don't forget to pick up
your CFI.!!! I was so thrilled when I finished, that I taxied right up to
the ramp (alone) and left the instructor stranded at the approach end of the
runway (some 4000' away) Oh we'll, he was kind of fat anyway, so he needed
the exercise ;)
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Gig 601XL Builder
May 2nd 07, 07:42 PM
wrote:
> On May 2, 1:15 pm, "ManhattanMan" > wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>>
>> Mine went up in the tower to keep tabs on me - even had the
>> controler remind me to watch my pattern altitude :)
>
> I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
> radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
> comfortable not talking to him...lol

Then don't. You will be PIC.

Erik
May 2nd 07, 07:44 PM
wrote:

> I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
> radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
> comfortable not talking to him...lol

Nah. By the time I solo'd, I practically kicked him out
of the airplane. He was lucky I slowed down first.

May 2nd 07, 08:25 PM
On May 2, 1:44 pm, Erik > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
> > radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
> > comfortable not talking to him...lol
>
> Nah. By the time I solo'd, I practically kicked him out
> of the airplane. He was lucky I slowed down first.

LOL! My instructor is an ex French Lt. He is a great instructor but
can at time be abrupt (must be the French thing), is a total
perfectionist (good thing). He almost always wears a flight suit
while flying... Why? KLBX is a civilian airport and last time I
checked, I have never served in the military.

Larry Dighera
May 2nd 07, 08:41 PM
On 2 May 2007 12:25:38 -0700, wrote in
. com>:

> He almost always wears a flight suit while flying... Why?

Because it's made of fire resistant Nomex®?

http://www.aerobaticproshop.com/aureus-nomex-flight-coveralls.htm

Erik
May 2nd 07, 09:59 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:

> On 2 May 2007 12:25:38 -0700, wrote in
> . com>:
>

>>He almost always wears a flight suit while flying... Why?
>

> Because it's made of fire resistant Nomex®?
>

> http://www.aerobaticproshop.com/aureus-nomex-flight-coveralls.htm

hahaha. That would be great to do as a CFI. Sign up a new
student and at the intro flight, show up in the kevlar helmet,
fire suit, life vest, protective goggles and carry a fire
extinguisher.

Instills confidence in students.

george
May 2nd 07, 10:05 PM
On May 3, 6:20 am, wrote:
> On May 2, 1:15 pm, "ManhattanMan" > wrote:
>
> > wrote:

> > > Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>
> > Mine went up in the tower to keep tabs on me - even had the controler remind
> > me to watch my pattern altitude :)
>
> I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
> radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
> comfortable not talking to him...lol

The funniest thing I recall was the other 'stick' (it was a MS880b)
moving round without the 'real' pilot :-)

Vic Baron
May 2nd 07, 10:37 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Keep the shiny side up!

Vic Baron
May 2nd 07, 10:46 PM
"Erik" > wrote in message

> Dallas wrote:
>
>> (Be sure to remember every detail for years of good cocktail party
>> conversation.)
>>

> Like you can forget.

How true! I soloed over 50 years ago and I can still remember everything
about the flight like it was yesterday. Plane was a Piper Colt - 05Z - flew
out of KPOC ( Brackett Field in La Verne, CA) when it had just a Unicom -
CFI was named Boyd Phelps and it was a glorious day. As someone said, we had
been doing some pattern work and as we taxied back to the FBO he had me
stop, jumped out and said - go fly for a while!. My heart rate *still*
speeds up when I think of that. That was many years and many thousand's of
hours PIC time ago.

Jose
May 2nd 07, 11:19 PM
> How true! I soloed over 50 years ago and I can still remember everything
> about the flight like it was yesterday.

Interesting. I really don't remember much about my first solo. It
wasn't a big deal. I was ready to solo at something like twelve hours,
but some paperwork still needed to be completed. So, we did post
solo-stuff until the paperwork was done, and at seventeen hours I
soloed. I think I went three times around the pattern; I remember
telling my instructor later that I had come in a little low the second
time, and added power; he said he noticed that and I did the right
thing. Or something like that.

I also remember him telling me to expect better climb performance
without the extra body in the plane.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Crash Lander[_1_]
May 3rd 07, 01:07 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I hope there will be little to no cross wind that day. :-) I still
> need practice in that area + remember to turn the yoke into the
> wind... I also need to feel comfortable doing a slip which kind of
> freaks me out at this point.

Slips made me uncomfortable for a while too, but once you practice them a
bit, you get used to them. The a/c 'feels' out of control, but when you get
a few under your belt, and come to realise that the a/c is actually still
doing exactly what you want it to do, then that discomfort subsides. That's
what I've found anyway.
Good luck with the solo! You'll never forget it!
One tip I would suggest is to be extra careful to watch your speed on
finals, as you won't lose altitude as easily as you did with the instructor
was on board. This may force you to either do one of those slips that you
aren't comfortable with yet, or go-around. Make sure the speed is not above
the recommended as you come over the fence.
I'm sure you'll do fine.
Crash Lander

Crash Lander[_1_]
May 3rd 07, 01:10 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

No you won't be, and no it doesn't matter. My instructor was still walking
back to the office when I did my solo and landed again! He missed the
landing altogether! A few other pilots witnessed it though, and gave him the
thumbs up on my performance.
Crash Lander

Crash Lander[_1_]
May 3rd 07, 01:14 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

I remember exactly the thought that went through my mind the first time I
took off solo.
"Well, I'm up, I have no choice now but to get it back down again!"
Crash Lander

Ridge
May 3rd 07, 01:55 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

The CFI won't let you go until you are ready.

Just go down the end, say a little prayer, and take off.

Aluckyguess
May 3rd 07, 02:04 AM
Have fun.

ManhattanMan
May 3rd 07, 02:58 AM
Crash Lander wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>
> I remember exactly the thought that went through my mind the first
> time I took off solo.
> "Well, I'm up, I have no choice now but to get it back down again!"

Really got your friggin attention too, didn't it??? I had that feeling
about the time the wheels left the ground..

ManhattanMan
May 3rd 07, 02:59 AM
Aluckyguess wrote:
> Have fun.

And you WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crash Lander[_1_]
May 3rd 07, 03:28 AM
"ManhattanMan" > wrote in message
> Really got your friggin attention too, didn't it??? I had that feeling
> about the time the wheels left the ground..

Sure did! ;-)
Crash Lander

tony roberts
May 3rd 07, 07:53 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Try to make landings equal take-offs.
Other than that, just have fun.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Kevin Clarke
May 4th 07, 12:52 PM
wrote:
> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Do what you have been trained to do. Your CFI wouldn't let you go if you
were not able to do it. So be confident and do what you have been
trained to do.

And congratulations, welcome to the club.

And do what you have been trained to do! :-)

KC

Kevin Clarke
May 4th 07, 12:54 PM
wrote:
> On May 2, 1:15 pm, "ManhattanMan" > wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>>>
>> Mine went up in the tower to keep tabs on me - even had the controler remind
>> me to watch my pattern altitude :)
>>

> I'll be flying out KLBX (untowered airport). He does have a hand held
> radio. Can he just give me a frequency. Somehow I feel a lot more
> comfortable not talking to him...lol

122.75 is a chatter frequency. You guys can talk on that if you like.
But you won't need it. Just do what you've been trained to do.

KC

Kev
May 4th 07, 05:45 PM
On May 2, 2:11 pm, wrote:
> Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

At our untowered airport, my CFI borrowed my handheld radio to talk to
my for the first solo. We just used the CTAS. As I climbed off the
runway, he radio'd "How does it feel?" I later think he expected me
to say "climbs fast" or "feels great" or something... but all I could
blurt out in reply was "Lonely !!" He paused and came back with
"Yeah. I bet."

As others have said, that's the point that it really hits you that
there's no one to save your butt except yourself. So you just do what
you trained for, and all goes well.

In fact, I made my three best landings ever, up to that point. When
I commented on that, he said "Yeah, being alone the first time really
makes you focus, doesn't it? <grin>"

Kev

Kev
May 4th 07, 05:47 PM
On May 4, 12:45 pm, Kev > wrote:
> On May 2, 2:11 pm, wrote:
>
> > Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?
>
> At our untowered airport, my CFI borrowed my handheld radio to talk to
> my for the first solo. We just used the CTAS.

Errr... meant to type CTAF, of course.

Woof.

Kev

PPL-A (Canada)
May 4th 07, 06:17 PM
On May 2, 12:02 pm, wrote:
> I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
> nervous... Any advice?

Hey first solo:

Know by heart all of the critical airspeeds and emergency procedures.
You'll probably be verbally quizzed on this by the instructor, and you
need this stuff by heart if you ever need really come to need the
procedures. Those speeds you will be using constantly.

YOU are the PIC as soon as your instructor closes the door ... take
all the responsibility ... unless something very unusual happens, you
don't need a radio to talk to your instructor ... only the tower and
ground controllers, or the local traffic. Your instructor should be
with you in your head. Trust the instruction, and your instructor's
faith in you.

Don't forget your radio work.

Don't taxi too fast, and remember your control surface positions vis-a-
vis the wind direction while taxiing. Several people will probably be
watching you, and will notice if you forget this.

Remember your pre-take-off procedures. You are probably expected to
repeat them all before take-off.

Listen and watch extra carefully for traffic, especially before you
enter the runway.

The plane will seem to jump off the runway compared to what you're
used to, shorter take-off roll, and better rate of climb ... but keep
it nailed at best rate of climb (or whatever climb speed your
instructor wants) KIAS while you climb to circuit altitude.

Do yourself a big favour and make sure you promptly and efficiently
get the plane trimmed appropriately for all phases of the climb,
downwind, and descent. Make sure your skill with the trim is very
good to excellent ... it helps saves you from avoidable airspeed
deviations, and altitude deviations while you keep your eyes outside
the plane (where they belong!).

Keep your eyes outside the plane almost all of the time ... looking
for traffic.

Correct for crosswind on all legs (climb, crosswind, downwind, base,
final) and keep your track nice and rectangular across the ground (or
whatever shape is standard at your home field).

You will probably find that you have about 30 - 45 seconds (each
circuit will take about five to six minutes in a small Cessna) while
on downwind to think "Holy $8i7, I'm really doing this, and that seat
beside me is empty ... it's really nice looking around up here! This
is ruddy amazing!" Then you should hear you instructor's voice in
your head again with all the things you should know by brain memory
and body memory ... but listen to the instructor's voice in your head
anyway ... "downwind check" ... don't forget the brake-check (I tended
to forget to tap them while on downwind).

Don't forget your mixture and carb-heat (if you need to use this) and
check the engine instruments before you reduce power to turn base.

Don't forget your radio work in the circuit! Make your position calls
and watch for that traffic, and listen for it too ... those pilots are
now talking to YOU (not you AND your instructor), the PIC. It's only
your eyes and ears now.

Get your landing clearance before turning base (if you have a tower)
if you can. One less thing to worry about on final.

Configure for landing as quickly as you can on base with flaps, etc.
Watch out for the plane to "balloon" upward with the first two notches
of flaps (many small planes do this) and don't let it climb while
losing speed due to those flaps... push the nose down, reduce power
and keep the nose down and trim for the right speed and rate of
descent. Then double check that engine again, carb-heat again, and the
mixture again too.

Get the speed to within 10 knots above short-field landing airspeed
established on the last half of the base leg. Remember the wind on
base is probably pushing you away from the field, since you shoud be
landing into the wind, so correct for that and keep your base leg's
track perpendicular to the runway heading.

Make sure your speed and descent rate are correct early on base. This
is a really common error ... insufficient power reduction while on
base ... and you end up too high on final and you have to do something
about it. Just set up promptly, confidently, and efficiently on base
and avoid this problem! Being too high when turning final can really
sneak up on you if you have a significant tailwind component on base,
because it increases your ground speed, pushes you across the ground,
shortens the time you are on base, and you end up too high! Just keep
glancing at the aim point and if you need to get down ... don't be
afraid to reduce that power as much as you need to while keeping a
safe airspeed ... less power with correct airspeed means increased
rate of descent.

Don't forget your position call for final.

Just before turning final check your airpseed and landing
configuration again. Turn final, and get the runway centre-line track
nailed ASAP ... listen for your instructor's voice in your head again.
"Is that picture out the window look right? ... watch your
airspeed ... rate of descent OK? ... did we get a landing clearance?"
If you have a VASI or PAPI or APAPI you might have a glance at it, but
trust what you've been taught about your aim point on the windscreen.
Once on final get the airspeed as close to short-field speed as your
instructor and you are comfortable with, and watch the movement of
your aim point on the windscreen. There shouldn't be any movement ...
if there is your rate of descent and glide path are off a bit ... do
something about it with the throttle. Glance at your airspeed
occasionally, as students are often tempted to correct their glide
path with the yoke, not the throttle, and your speed can bleed away on
you (or, less often, you can speed up if you push the nose down to get
down with too much power).

Remember if you are trimmed out correctly at the right approach speed,
and a good aim point, you just nudge the throttle ... a little
more ... a little less ... to keep on your glide path. (But do not
"drag it in" at a shallow approach angle and too much power.)

On short final you might get some turbulence, or a sudden change in
wind speed and/or direction because of trees or buildings. Just make
the plane do what you want ... keep the nose down if it pops up due to
turbulence ... stay on the centre line, correcting for the crosswind
and don't let your speed bleed away too much. Keep the plane doing
what you want Don't be rudder shy ... remember you might need some
confident and proper rudder use along with the ailerons at low speeds,
epecially for those pesky turbulence caused wing drops.
..
Don't be tempted to carry too much airspeed down to short final (this
can easily happen if you ended up too high while turning final)... you
only have to get rid of it near the ground, and you might not have
enough runway to get rid of enough of it and still have enough room to
land safely.

Don't be ground-shy and round out too high ... 100 feet AGL and low
airspeed is very dangerous!

After you've rounded out switch your gaze from the aim point to the
far end of the runway, on the centre line (don't look just past the
nose ... it's rushing by and doesn't give you the picture you need to
keep your track nice and straight). Make sure you're using enough
rudder to keep the nose pointed at the end of the runway ... and
correct for that drift!

Don't be afraid to nudge the power a little tiny bit while you are
flaring or settling if you don't like your crosswind correction or
rate of descent or your airspeed you and need to fix any of these
things ... just not too much power (you shouldn't climb or speed up)
or for too long (you don't want to use up all the runway).

Don't be afraid to go-around if you don't like your approach while you
are on final. Remember ... its better to go-around early than late.
And sometimes a go-around that is too late is worse than no go-around
at all, because now you've added power and speed to that runway
excursion. And energy is proportional to the square of your speed.

If you hear the stall horn at 3 feet or higher ... nudge the power and/
or push the nose down a tiny bit ... if you hear the stall horn and
your nose is in the air and your mains are about 6 inches above the
runway (or less) and you're straight and not drifting ...
congratulations ... this is the beginning of a good touchdown.

Hold the nose up even after the main(s) touch down ... don't "give-up"
and suddenly let the nose plunk down while releasing your crosswind
correction as soon as the mains are down. You need let the nose come
down on its own as the speed decreases, and to slowly decrease the
crosswind correction as you slow down and the nose wheel comes down.
Don't forget the rudder becomes the nose wheel once it comes down, so
be careful with the pedals once the nose gear is down.

Don't brake too hard (unless you REALLY NEED to) ... gently and
intermittently should do the trick for you first solo.

When you are "done" ... don't forget you're not really done until the
airplane is tied down again.

Don't ruin a good solo by forgetting your radio work when exiting the
runway. Remember your call here, and if there's a tower, don't cross
that line onto the taxiways or apron without talking to the tower and
getting handed off to ground or apron, and getting clearance to taxi
back to your tie-down.

Watch for those other students or sight seers walking around the other
planes near you at all times.

Remember the flight isn't over until the plane is safely shut down and
tied down.

Have fun ... be focused, but confident ... your instructor believes in
you enough to let you loose with that airplane. You should believe
too.

Wear a shirt you don't mind getting cut up ... and/or you might also
get an unexpected shower.

You'll never forget you first solo ... all of the above is what I
tried to concentrate on while I flew my one circuit first solo (in
Canada a first solo consists of only one circuit ... second solo you
can proceed up 3 circuits) in a Cessna 150 around a towered airport in
a large city.

If any of this is unclear ... or your instructor tells you something
different ... ask your instructor about it, and LISTEN to YOUR
INSTRUCTOR. I'm not an instructor, but all of these points stand out
for me when I consider what I remember about my first solo (and how I
later dramatically improved the consistency and quality of my circuits
and landings) several years ago.

Good luck ... and grease it on!

PPL-A(SEL) Canada

Google