First Solo

Old May 2nd 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default First Solo

I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
nervous... Any advice?

Old May 2nd 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 2, 11:28 am, Erik wrote:
wrote:
I am gonna go on my first solo at the end of May. I am a little bit
nervous... Any advice?

Yep, wear a cheap shirt. One with a little sentimental
value, though.

Don't be shocked when the plane turns into a rocket. You're going
to shoot up like never before. My CFI was a pretty big guy so the
difference in weight was astounding.

Watch the ground go away beneath you. It's great stuff.

From there, it's all routine. Fly your pattern. Relax. It's
really nothing you haven't done before.

On final, don't let your CFI's absence keep you from hearing the
stuff they normally say. WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED and whatever else
they generally bring up. I planned to take a tape recorder and just
have it repeat that crap to me while I came in but I never got around
to it.

I hope there will be little to no cross wind that day. :-) I still
need practice in that area + remember to turn the yoke into the
wind... I also need to feel comfortable doing a slip which kind of
freaks me out at this point.

Old May 2nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Dallas wrote:

(Be sure to remember every detail for years of good cocktail party
conversation.)

Like you can forget.

Old May 2nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Larry Dighera wrote:

Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
incident or accident statistic.

Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
logbook gets burned up!"

Old May 2nd 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 2, 12:55 pm, Erik wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
Just remember your CFI consider's you ready to solo. Doubtless, his
job (if not more) is riding on that decision if you should become an
incident or accident statistic.

Famous last words: "If anything happens, just make sure your
logbook gets burned up!"

Will I be in radio contact with him? Does it matter?

Old May 2nd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 2 May 2007 11:11:23 -0700, wrote in
.com:

Will I be in radio contact with him?

No.

Does it matter?

No.

L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 1 November 14th 05 08:57 AM
L33 Solo Gordon Schubert Soaring 0 November 14th 05 03:42 AM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
First solo Gerhard Boehm Soaring 5 November 3rd 03 10:46 PM
Solo in a 2-32 M B Soaring 3 September 30th 03 03:11 AM