PDA

View Full Version : CUrtiss Hawk 75 performance debate

Jukka O. Kauppinen
July 14th 03, 10:27 PM
We have an interesting debate going on about the performance of the
Curtiss Hawk 75 fighter in an simulator.

The debate has gone on for some months while the research has been done
in aviation museums and the guys have pondered on the differences
between American factore numbers, French numbers and Finnish flight test
numbers about the fighter's performance.

Looks like we're getting to the finals now.

WOuld anyone take a look at the following web page and give comments
whether the discussion and conclusions about the (real) aircraft
performance, engine etc seem truthful / correct? Or are there any clear
problems visible to you?

http://www.byterapers.com/~grendel/military/aviation/curtisshawk75debate/

jok

Cub Driver
July 15th 03, 10:49 AM
Jukka, do you have Erik Shilling's post on the spin characteristics of
the Curtiss fighters? If not, you can read it at
www.danford.net/p40spin.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Jukka O. Kauppinen
July 15th 03, 11:10 PM
> Jukka, do you have Erik Shilling's post on the spin characteristics of
> the Curtiss fighters? If not, you can read it at
> www.danford.net/p40spin.htm

No, didn't have it, thanks a lot.

Shilling's view about the snap roll seems interesting. One FiAF Hawk
pilot says it was very hard to get into spin, that the plane took very
well to pulling it through maneuvers. I'll be putting together my
results from various Hawk pilot interviews sooner or later for some
comparison.

A request, though.

"A & AEE (British) test with an A-4 model (1941) reported the maximum
speed 486km/h 4300m and highest climb 2870kg mass 13.2m/s , an a ceiling
of 10 300m"

How could I get this test? Or the text? Or the results? Anyone?

jok

Cub Driver
July 16th 03, 10:45 AM
>"A & AEE (British) test with an A-4 model (1941) reported the maximum
>speed 486km/h 4300m and highest climb 2870kg mass 13.2m/s , an a ceiling
>of 10 300m"
>
>How could I get this test? Or the text? Or the results? Anyone?

Jukka, where is the quote from? Not from Erik's posting.

I got a bunch of British flight test reports from the files at
National Air & Space Museum Archives. They maintain a file for every
warplane of interest; sometimes these are massive, including the
Wright Field test reports. The British reports for the Brewster
Buffalo were there; I've posted them at www.danford.net/eagle.htm

Do you know anyone in Washington who might have time on his hands and
looking for an excuse to visit NASM? It's not a big deal to get into
the archives, though now you need an appointment (thank bin Laden).

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Google