PDA

View Full Version : RAF Fairford - Parking

McL D
July 16th 03, 12:23 AM
See this latest example of the stupidity of British Police forces in
an article from a local Wilstshire paper.....when will these *******
realise that they are gradually alienating just about every law
abiding member of society?

The Gloucester Citizen July 9, 2003

Copyright 2003 The Gloucester Citizen
The Gloucester Citizen

July 9, 2003

SECTION: News; 999; Campaigns; Pg. 9

LENGTH: 428 words

HEADLINE: Parking For Residents Only Around Air Base

BODY:
The system of double and single yellow lines around RAF Fairford will
come into force on Thursday and will effectively ban everyone, except
residents, from parking on roads in the area. Sergeant Pat Taylor, of
Fairford Police, said: "The roads around RAF Fairford are typical
country lanes and any cars parked at the sides can soon start to cause
traffic delays.

"Whenever there is activity at the air base large numbers of people
turn up and park on the roads to watch the planes. "This can severely
hinder emergency vehicle access to the area as well as causing
disruption to local residents." The base became a focus of media
interest in the run-up to and during the war on Iraq. American B-52
bombers based there provoked protests from peace campaigners.

It is hoped the new parking restrictions will make access to the Royal
International Air Tattoo - to be held at the base on July 19 and 20 -
easier for visitors.

Historic jet aircraft built in Gloucester are among the stars of the
show, which celebrates 100 years of powered flight.

The world's first twin jet delta wing fighter, the Gloster Javelin,
and the first operational jet fighter, the Gloster Meteor, were made
at factories in Hucclecote and Brockworth in the 1940s and '50s.

Fifty years on, examples of both aircraft, loaned by the
Gloucester-based Jet Age Museum, will be at the show.

The Meteor Mark 8, which was built at Glosters in 1954 and served with
601 squadron in Malta, will also be there.

The new parking restriction system around RAF Fairford is experimental
and will be re-assessed after six months, but police hope it will
become permanent.

Police are to visit residents in the area and will be issuing permits
to any households which do not have suitable off-road parking.

Officers will also consider applications for permits from frequent
visitors to householders.

Residents will be asked to tell visitors to their homes to display a
note in their vehicle window to indicate they are visiting.

Motorists caught parking illegally will be issued with fixed penalty
fines of £30.

Sgt Taylor said the force would visit every home covered by the
permit-only areas to fully explain the new system and would leave
letters of explanation at any addresses where no one was in.

Those who do not receive a permit but feel they deserve one can
contact Fairford Police Station on 0845 090 1234.

Or they can visit the station on Friday or Saturday from 9am to 11am
and from 6pm to 8pm, or on Sunday from 9am to 11am and 5pm to 7pm.

Keith Willshaw
July 16th 03, 08:02 AM
"McL D" > wrote in message
om...
> See this latest example of the stupidity of British Police forces in
> an article from a local Wilstshire paper.....when will these *******
> realise that they are gradually alienating just about every law
> abiding member of society?

When will you realise that parking regulations
are imposed by the local council and that the police
are just told to enforce them ?

Keith

Richard Brooks
July 16th 03, 11:32 PM
"Jerry" > wrote in message

> >Actually it makes sense to me. The roads around Fairford are basically a
> >bleedin' rabbit warren, anything that eases things up is okay with me.
> >It's the show organisers my ire is reserved for, they manage to make a
> >clusterf**k of the parking arrangements year on year. Actually it's all
> >academic to me, I rarely bother with the show any more, there doesn't
> >tend to be enough variety in participants to make it worth the headache
> >of attending, unlike the late 80's and early 90's . . . but I did make
> >the trip last year, and the parking was still a mess.

[snipped]

> But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
> know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
> again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.
>
> Jerry

There is at least one country estate on the north western side that hires
out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's nothing
like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint of
wallop.

Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.

Richard.

Ken Duffey
July 17th 03, 08:56 AM
Richard Brooks wrote:

> "Jerry" > wrote in message
> >

> > >Actually it makes sense to me. The roads around Fairford are basically a
> > >bleedin' rabbit warren, anything that eases things up is okay with me.
> > >It's the show organisers my ire is reserved for, they manage to make a
> > >clusterf**k of the parking arrangements year on year. Actually it's all
> > >academic to me, I rarely bother with the show any more, there doesn't
> > >tend to be enough variety in participants to make it worth the headache
> > >of attending, unlike the late 80's and early 90's . . . but I did make
> > >the trip last year, and the parking was still a mess.
> >
> [snipped]
> >
> > But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
> > know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
> > again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> There is at least one country estate on the north western side that hires
> out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's nothing
> like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint of
> wallop.
>
> Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.
>
> Richard.

For the past five years I have given up driving to Fairford on the public days.

A much better plan is to drive to Swindon, park the car and travel by the
shuttle bus service provided by the local Thamedown council.

The bus has its own route through the surrounding villages - where
(non-resident) private cars are not allowed - and thereby avoids all the
traffic jams.

It's quite a good feeling sitting on the top of a double-decker bus looking
down smugly on all the punters sat in their cars in a jam as you turn off on
your own 'private' route to Fairford.

This is why parking on the roads around Fairford is banned for the duration of
the tattoo - imagine if we were all allowed to park where we liked - the result
would be absolute chaos. Not to mention blocking the roads for any emergency
vehicles that need to gain entry/exit from Fairford.

I must admit to having a slight advantage - in that I work in Swindon - and can
use my company's car park on Saturday & Sunday, before getting the shuttle bus.

But car parking in Swindon is not that bad - especially on the Sunday.

Highly recommended.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
Genuine E-mailers - Replace sukhoi with flanker
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Richard Brooks
July 17th 03, 09:31 PM
"Ken Duffey" > wrote in message
> Richard Brooks wrote:

> > [snipped]
> > >
> > > But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
> > > know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
> > > again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.
> > >
> > > Jerry
> >
> > There is at least one country estate on the north western side that
hires
> > out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's
nothing
> > like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint
of
> > wallop.
> >
> > Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.
> >
> > Richard.
>
> For the past five years I have given up driving to Fairford on the public
days.

> A much better plan is to drive to Swindon, park the car and travel by the
> shuttle bus service provided by the local Thamedown council.
>
> The bus has its own route through the surrounding villages - where
> (non-resident) private cars are not allowed - and thereby avoids all the
> traffic jams.
>
> It's quite a good feeling sitting on the top of a double-decker bus
looking
> down smugly on all the punters sat in their cars in a jam as you turn off
on
> your own 'private' route to Fairford.
>
> This is why parking on the roads around Fairford is banned for the
duration of
> the tattoo - imagine if we were all allowed to park where we liked - the
result
> would be absolute chaos. Not to mention blocking the roads for any
emergency
> vehicles that need to gain entry/exit from Fairford.

I totally agree and I cannot understand those who think that they have a
right to do this! I was there the year that the base put a call out to the
local police due to the fact that an aerobatic team was stuck in traffic.

Another ploy that worked was being really nice to a local and slipping them
twenty quid to allow for the car to be stuck on their drive for the day.
Support your countryside!

With that posh family on the north-west side of the base when asking where
the toilets were and assuming an Elsan or some cubicle outside but the sweet
and horse-bound young filly gave directions to where their own toilets were
in this very grand house. She even came out with a tray of drinks for us!

I think I have the phone number but I must check it but a list is kept with
the local town hall of people with facilities. The only problem is when on
a phone hunt is that you end up with a short list of numbers written at all
angles on the page.

If anyone is interested I can contact them and find out if they are still
allowing parking with facilities.

Richard.

David McArthur
July 21st 03, 09:22 AM
"Richard Brooks" > wrote in message >...
> "Jerry" > wrote in message
> >

> > >Actually it makes sense to me. The roads around Fairford are basically a
> > >bleedin' rabbit warren, anything that eases things up is okay with me.
> > >It's the show organisers my ire is reserved for, they manage to make a
> > >clusterf**k of the parking arrangements year on year. Actually it's all
> > >academic to me, I rarely bother with the show any more, there doesn't
> > >tend to be enough variety in participants to make it worth the headache
> > >of attending, unlike the late 80's and early 90's . . . but I did make
> > >the trip last year, and the parking was still a mess.
> >
> [snipped]
> >
> > But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
> > know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
> > again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> There is at least one country estate on the north western side that hires
> out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's nothing
> like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint of
> wallop.
>
> Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.
>

> Richard.

Made it there yesterday - Great day out (although the decision to
carry an umbrella rather than sunscreen turned out to be a mistake)

Fantastic view of a B2 escorted by a couple of F15s (could've been a
bit lower!) Italian AF display team didn't want to come down - their
display just went on and on.

David

Google