PDA

View Full Version : B-36 electrical system Q.

John Mackesy
July 17th 03, 01:12 AM
I've been reading 'MAGNESIUM OVERCAST - The Story of the Convair B-36', by
Dennis R Jenkins, and have been finding it absolutely fascinating. Plenty of
hard-core techno stuff, esp. powerplant, a subject near and dear to my
heart. What doesn't seem to be covered is the B-36's electrical system.
Judging from the electronic equipment fitted, I would assume this to be 28V
DC and 115V 'wild frequency' AC (B-36 seems a bit early for CSD's). My
questions are:

Was there a DC and an AC generator on every engine?
Single phase or 3-phase AC?
Were rotary inverters used?
How was the aircraft's electrical system organized?

John Mackesy

July 17th 03, 01:23 AM
"John Mackesy" > wrote:

>I've been reading 'MAGNESIUM OVERCAST - The Story of the Convair B-36', by
>Dennis R Jenkins, and have been finding it absolutely fascinating. Plenty of
>hard-core techno stuff, esp. powerplant, a subject near and dear to my
>heart. What doesn't seem to be covered is the B-36's electrical system.
>Judging from the electronic equipment fitted, I would assume this to be 28V
>DC and 115V 'wild frequency' AC (B-36 seems a bit early for CSD's). My
>questions are:
>
>Was there a DC and an AC generator on every engine?
>Single phase or 3-phase AC?
>Were rotary inverters used?
>How was the aircraft's electrical system organized?
>
>John Mackesy

Watching this space with keen interest...
--

-Gord.

Paul Hirose
July 18th 03, 05:41 AM
I believe the B-36 was the first production aircraft to generate its
power at 115 V 400 Hz. Engines 2, 3, 4, and 5 had alternators with
constant speed drives. If load permitted, normal procedure was to have
three on line, paralleled, and equally sharing the load, with a fourth
excited and standing by. Under high load all four would be paralleled.

The bus tie arrangement was peculiar. Conceptually, each bus formed
one side of a square. (It was depicted that way on the AC control
panel.) The four bus tie contactors were at the corners of the square.
For example, contactors tied bus 2 to its neighbors 3 and 5.

By contrast, all the planes I've worked on had an AC system arranged
like a fork with four tines. Each tine (generator bus) was connected
to the fork body (tie bus) via a bus tie contactor.

Either way you end up with four BTCs and power supply redundancy. But
the B-36 arrangement was like nothing I've seen elsewhere. It does
have the advantage that all four buses remain in parallel after any
single bus tie contactor fails open.

To supply 28 VDC the B-36 had seven transformer-rectifier units