PDA

View Full Version : Gabby's Jug questions

David Poles
July 17th 03, 12:51 PM
I am looking for scale info for a radio controlled project.

I need pictures and any other information for a UP-47 D-22 (SO/NO 42-25864)
that Frances Gabreski flew.

If anyone knows of any pics or text relating to this please let me know.

One specific question. I have seen pics of kill markings on Gabreskis plane,
anyone know if they were put on BOTH sides of the aircraft?

thanks
David
Ithaca, NY

Stephen FPilot Bierce
July 18th 03, 02:30 AM
"David Poles" > wrote:

>I am looking for scale info for a radio controlled project.
>
>I need pictures and any other information for a UP-47 D-22 (SO/NO 42-25864)
>that Frances Gabreski flew.
>
>If anyone knows of any pics or text relating to this please let me know.
>
>One specific question. I have seen pics of kill markings on Gabreskis plane,
>anyone know if they were put on BOTH sides of the aircraft?
>
>thanks
>David
>Ithaca, NY

In his autobiography, there is a side view of the D-22. In the Challenge
"special" magazine Thunderbolt Aces from circa 1988, there is a picture of
Gabby's ground crew with the D-22 in the background.

I'm pretty sure the kill flags were only set on the port side of the fuselage.
Gabreski "wrote" that he personally hated the kill flags and would have prefered
to forego them, but realized they were important to the morale of his ground
crew.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922
{Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Google