PDA

View Full Version : The UK "Air Force One"

Geoff Miller
July 17th 03, 08:01 PM
Tony Blair's arrival in Washington this morning brought a
question to mind: What type of aircraft does the British
Prime Minister travel on? A RAF VC10?

Geoff

--
"The nation's colleges and universities have become a Safe Streets
program for traitors and lunatics. At least Tailgunner Joe got them

Spehro Pefhany
July 17th 03, 08:14 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 12:01:07 -0700, the renowned
(Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Tony Blair's arrival in Washington this morning brought a
>question to mind: What type of aircraft does the British
>Prime Minister travel on? A RAF VC10?

It was marked "British Airways". I didn't catch the aircraft type, but
their fleet includes both Boeing and Airbus.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Gooneybird
July 17th 03, 10:13 PM
Richard Brooks wrote:
> "Geoff Miller" > wrote in message
>>

>> Tony Blair's arrival in Washington this morning brought a
>> question to mind: What type of aircraft does the British
>> Prime Minister travel on? A RAF VC10?
>
> Good ole' XV108 was the VC10 (wow a VC10 with carpet) but they, including
> Her Madge mostly changed over to those little four engined jobs.
>

> Richard.

Looked like British Airways markings to me.

George Z.

Sergio
July 18th 03, 12:13 AM
"Spehro Pefhany" > a écrit dans le message de

> It was marked "British Airways". I didn't catch the aircraft type, but
> their fleet includes both Boeing and Airbus.

I suppose it is a Boeing 777, as usual...

John Halliwell
July 18th 03, 12:59 AM
In article >, Geoff Miller
> writes
>Thanks. So that raises the question: does the PM take a seat on
>a scheduled commercial BA flight for intercontinental trips like
>this, or is an aircraft temporarily pulled from the BA fleet and
>made available for the use of Blair and his entourage?

Usually a 'private' charter (paid for by taxpayers), if the journalists
are going to say/write nice things about the PM they get to go too. When
Blair flew to the US shortly after 9/11, Concorde was the choice for the
lucky few.

--
John

David Bromage
July 18th 03, 02:41 AM
Geoff Miller wrote:
> Tony Blair's arrival in Washington this morning brought a
> question to mind: What type of aircraft does the British
> Prime Minister travel on? A RAF VC10?

Usually a chartered British Airways 777 for long distance. Sometimes a
757 if going somewhere in Europe. The Queen is also sometimes carried on
a chartered BA 777 (last trip to Australia was on a chartered Qantas
747), or on the upper deck of a 747 on a regular service. For domestic
and short distance work, the RAF Queen's Flight has BAe 146s and BAe 125s.

BTW, do the charter flights use any special callsigns or are they given
standard airline flight numbers? Or just the rego? IIRC the Queen's
Flight uses the callsigns KITTYHAWK, RAINBOW and ASCOT.

Cheers
David

David Bromage
July 18th 03, 03:14 AM
Geoff Miller wrote:
> Tony Blair's arrival in Washington this morning brought a
> question to mind: What type of aircraft does the British
> Prime Minister travel on? A RAF VC10?

Usually a chartered British Airways 777 for long distance. Sometimes a
757 if going somewhere in Europe. The Queen is also sometimes carried on
a chartered BA 777 (last trip to Australia was on a chartered Qantas
747), or on the upper deck of a 747 on a regular service. For domestic
and short distance work, the RAF Queen's Flight has BAe 146s and BAe 125s.

BTW, do the charter flights use any special callsigns or are they given
standard airline flight numbers? Or just the rego? IIRC the Queen's
Flight uses the callsigns KITTYHAWK, RAINBOW and ASCOT followed by a
tasking number.

Cheers
David

Nick Pedley