PDA

View Full Version : Advice on air magazines?

Jdf4cheval
July 22nd 03, 09:31 PM
My subscriptions are coming due on some of my aviation periodicals. Any
recommendations for journals to keep current on world military aviation? I'll
keep AWST, but find the UK magazines fairly expensive for
the amount of information they provide - and I don't need endless lists of
serial numbers.

M. J. Powell
July 22nd 03, 11:07 PM
In message >, Jdf4cheval
> writes
>My subscriptions are coming due on some of my aviation periodicals. Any
>recommendations for journals to keep current on world military aviation? I'll
>keep AWST, but find the UK magazines fairly expensive for
>the amount of information they provide - and I don't need endless lists of
>serial numbers.

Have you read 'Fly Past'?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Keith Willshaw
July 23rd 03, 10:08 AM
"M. J. Powell" > wrote in message
> In message >, Jdf4cheval
> > writes
> >My subscriptions are coming due on some of my aviation periodicals. Any
> >recommendations for journals to keep current on world military aviation?
I'll
> >keep AWST, but find the UK magazines fairly expensive for
> >the amount of information they provide - and I don't need endless lists
of
> >serial numbers.
>
> Have you read 'Fly Past'?

Its a great mag , I get it every month but it is hardly going to keep
you current on world military aviation.

Keith

Ralph Savelsberg
July 23rd 03, 11:12 AM
Jdf4cheval wrote:

> My subscriptions are coming due on some of my aviation periodicals.
> Any recommendations for journals to keep current on world military
> aviation? I'll keep AWST, but find the UK magazines fairly
> expensive for the amount of information they provide - and I don't
> need endless lists of serial numbers.

I occasionally read Combat Aircraft International, which has a US and a
European edition, but seems to focus on the US primarily. It has good
photography and often has articles focussing on aircraft (UC-12 in USN/
USMC service, for instance) or units (the USCG's new armed helicopter
for instance) that ordinarily don't get a lot of attention. Still, here
in the Netherlands it seems the issues appear months after their
original publishing date, which means that their `news' is often
somewhat old.
As for UK magazines:
There's Aircraft Illustrated, which also has nice photographs, but apart
from that seems to only have rather superficial content and deals both
with military aviation (primarily focussed on the UK) and civil
aviation. Not my favorite.
I really like Air international, which also deals with civil aviation,
but very often has good in depth articles about military developments.
Highly recommended in my opinion is Air Forces Monthly, which I've been
reading for about the last ten years. It's up-to-date and seems
well-informed with correspondents pretty much everywhere. If for some
reason I couldn't afford magazines anymore, Air Forces Monthly would be
the one I'd miss most.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Google