PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Car

John[_9_]
October 11th 07, 12:54 PM
I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.

John Dupre'

Mike Noel
October 11th 07, 04:18 PM
It looks interesting and it's being designed by some sharp young engineers.
Perhaps this time with new technologies it will have legs.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
"John" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
> You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
> really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
> a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
> from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.
>
> John Dupre'

October 11th 07, 04:25 PM
John > wrote:
> I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
> You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
> really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
> a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
> from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.

> John Dupre'

There's also the minor problem that the current certification
requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
the two types of vehicles.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Dave[_5_]
October 12th 07, 02:39 AM
> There's also the minor problem that the current certification
> requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
> the two types of vehicles.

The solution is to make it a three-wheeler. Then, by decree of DOT,
it's a motorcycle - and the certification requirements are vastly
simplified.

David Johnson

Robert M. Gary
October 12th 07, 06:10 PM
On Oct 11, 8:18 am, "Mike Noel" > wrote:
> It looks interesting and it's being designed by some sharp young engineers.
> Perhaps this time with new technologies it will have legs.

Yep. I think their estimated date for a production ready model is
2002. At least that was what the date of the highly talked about model
from UC Davis was.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary
October 12th 07, 09:44 PM
On Oct 11, 6:39 pm, Dave > wrote:
> > There's also the minor problem that the current certification
> > requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
> > the two types of vehicles.
>
> The solution is to make it a three-wheeler. Then, by decree of DOT,
> it's a motorcycle - and the certification requirements are vastly
> simplified.

My Mooney is a 3 wheeler.

Mike Noel
October 13th 07, 12:00 AM
The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
prediction for availability is around 2009.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 11, 8:18 am, "Mike Noel" > wrote:
>> It looks interesting and it's being designed by some sharp young
>> engineers.
>> Perhaps this time with new technologies it will have legs.
>
> Yep. I think their estimated date for a production ready model is
> 2002. At least that was what the date of the highly talked about model
> from UC Davis was.
>
> -Robert

Robert M. Gary
October 13th 07, 01:47 AM
On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" > wrote:
> The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
> prediction for availability is around 2009.
>
> http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.

-Robert

Orval Fairbairn
October 13th 07, 04:43 AM
In article . com>,
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote:

> On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" > wrote:
> > The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
> > prediction for availability is around 2009.
> >
> > http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html
>
> That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
> load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
> were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.
>
> -Robert

It looks as if the aerodynamicists have been on break too long! There
are several areas of major interference drag; structure looks iffy, too.

All previous attempts have resulted in an inferior car coupled with an
inferior plane -- or worse!

I have little faith in this one, either.

Phil
October 14th 07, 05:24 PM
On Oct 12, 7:47 pm, "Robert M. Gary" > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" > wrote:
>
> > The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
> > prediction for availability is around 2009.
>
> >http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html
>
> That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
> load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
> were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.
>
> -Robert

If they manage to get a 550 pound useful load, I will be very
surprised. That would mean an empty weight of 770 pounds. And that
is with a transmission to drive the wheels on the ground, a stiff
enough chassis for driving on the ground, steering, suspension,
airbags, and of course the mechanism to fold the wings. This is in
addition to all the normal aircraft equipment.

Phil

C J Campbell[_1_]
October 15th 07, 05:13 PM
On 2007-10-11 04:54:57 -0700, John > said:

> I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
> You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
> really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
> a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
> from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.
>
> John Dupre'

The problem that the flying car is supposed to solve is that an airport
is rarely your final destination. Most people want to leave the airport
after they have landed and go somewhere else, whether it is to
Grandma's, off to dinner, or a business conference.

The courtesy car is becoming extremely rare and it is only available
for an hour or so at a time anyway. Rental cars are not available at
all airports, especially on weekends.

So, for some people, the idea of being able to drive somewhere, perhaps
after removing or folding the wings, is kind of attractive. They see
flying as a tool, a means of transportation, rather than as
entertainment or something to while away the hours boring holes in the
air around the local pattern.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Mike Noel
October 15th 07, 09:22 PM
And besides landing and finishing the drive to grandma's, wouldn't it be
nice to drive under that line of thunderstorms and take off again instead of
waiting for them to get out of the way. Or drive to a VFR airport instead
of waiting for the fog to lift.

--

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> On 2007-10-11 04:54:57 -0700, John > said:
>
>> I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
>> You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
>> really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
>> a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
>> from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.
>>
>> John Dupre'
>
> The problem that the flying car is supposed to solve is that an airport is
> rarely your final destination. Most people want to leave the airport after
> they have landed and go somewhere else, whether it is to Grandma's, off to
> dinner, or a business conference.
>
> The courtesy car is becoming extremely rare and it is only available for
> an hour or so at a time anyway. Rental cars are not available at all
> airports, especially on weekends.
>
> So, for some people, the idea of being able to drive somewhere, perhaps
> after removing or folding the wings, is kind of attractive. They see
> flying as a tool, a means of transportation, rather than as entertainment
> or something to while away the hours boring holes in the air around the
> local pattern.
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

news.west.cox.net
October 16th 07, 03:40 AM
I just saw the only flying example of the original flying car in Kissimee,
FL last week. It's actually a very nice piece of engineering, though not
very practical. If you're in hte area, pop on over to the Kissimee airport
and check it out.

Regards,
Jake
"John" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
> You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
> really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
> a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
> from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.
>
> John Dupre'

Montblack
October 16th 07, 04:39 AM
("news.west.cox.net" wrote)
>I just saw the only flying example of the original flying car in Kissimee,
>FL last week. It's actually a very nice piece of engineering, though not
>very practical. If you're in hte area, pop on over to the Kissimee airport
>and check it out.

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html
Another "flying example" is the Golden Wings Museum Aero Car

http://www.discoveraviationdays.org/images/Aerocar.jpg
In 2000 "ours" <g> flew, during D.A.D.

<http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Aerocar/info/info.htm>
A good history site