PDA

View Full Version : RAF attack on 8.9.1940

Gordon
October 30th 03, 06:05 AM
I have a photo of a dock getting bombed with this date on the reverse. The
bombing is localized, although a stick of bombs has set off a tremendous
secondary explosion right on the wharf.

Does anyone know what targets the RAF hit on the night of Sept 8 1940? I would
assume Germany (agfa paper, Creditz stamp) for a target, but it may not be.

Thanks in advance.
v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Juvat
October 30th 03, 06:20 AM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Gordon
blurted out:

>I have a photo of a dock getting bombed with this date on the reverse. The
>bombing is localized, although a stick of bombs has set off a tremendous
>secondary explosion right on the wharf.
>
>Does anyone know what targets the RAF hit on the night of Sept 8 1940? I would
>assume Germany (agfa paper, Creditz stamp) for a target, but it may not be.

From Middlebrook's "The Bomber Command War Diaries," page 81,

8/9 September 1940 Ports, Barges

133 Blenheims, Hampdens, Wellingtons and Whitleys to Hamburg, Bremen,
Emden, Ostend and Boulogne. The heaviest raid was by 49 Hampdens on
the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg. 8 aircraft lost, 5 Blenheims and
2 Wellingtons in the Boulogne and Ostend raids and 1 Hampden in the
Hamburg raid.

Juvat

Gordon
October 30th 03, 05:13 PM
danke, Juvat - great info.

Gruß,
Gordon

Juvat
October 31st 03, 05:49 AM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Gordon
blurted out:

>I have a photo of a dock getting bombed with this date on the reverse. The
>bombing is localized, although a stick of bombs has set off a tremendous
>secondary explosion right on the wharf.

Something that is not clear (upon further review...) is this photo an
aerial shot? Because the LW had just started their campaign of night
raids vs London. The night of Sunday 8 September was the second night
of 57 consecutive nights.

Francis Mason's superb "Battle over Britain," goes into some detail.

Juvat

Gordon
October 31st 03, 06:08 AM

>Something that is not clear (upon further review...) is this photo an
>aerial shot? Because the LW had just started their campaign of night
>raids vs London. The night of Sunday 8 September was the second night
>of 57 consecutive nights.

Nope - definitely a ground shot of a German port getting pasted, roughly two
miles distant from the photographer. Something _big_ went up, among the
smaller bomb explosions.

v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Keith Willshaw
October 31st 03, 07:52 AM
"Gordon" > wrote in message

> >Something that is not clear (upon further review...) is this photo an
> >aerial shot? Because the LW had just started their campaign of night
> >raids vs London. The night of Sunday 8 September was the second night
> >of 57 consecutive nights.
>
> Nope - definitely a ground shot of a German port getting pasted, roughly
two
> miles distant from the photographer. Something _big_ went up, among the
> smaller bomb explosions.

This was the period when the RAF were bombing the potential
invasion ports in France and Belgium. On the date in question
Blenheims of 101 Squadrom bombed Boulogne Harbour
and shipping in the harbour, 2 aircraft were lost.

Keith

Gordon
October 31st 03, 06:55 PM

>This was the period when the RAF were bombing the potential
>invasion ports in France and Belgium. On the date in question
>Blenheims of 101 Squadrom bombed Boulogne Harbour
>and shipping in the harbour, 2 aircraft were lost.

Thanks, K. The facility is shrouded in darkness and only a few large dockside
cranes are visible against the massive explosion, so its probably not possible
to determine at this point which port was struck in the photo.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"