PDA

View Full Version : Engine Baffling Supplier

Mike Spera
January 21st 08, 02:41 PM
As the 74 Cherokee ages, the engine baffling (0-320 E3D) is starting to
show its age. Various places have been stop drilled over the years and
it is time for replacement.

I really don't want used salvage parts because they are likely in the
same condition as what I have. The intercylinder baffles and hooks
appear to be Lycoming manufactured hardware and ECI makes inexpensive
replacements. Those don't need replacing (readily available, reasonably
priced PMA alternatives - of COURSE you don't need THOSE).

However, the outer shrouding that needs replacing appears to be Piper
designed/supplied. Where can you get this stuff new so that the 2-3
pieces I need won't cost as much as a new engine? 1 piece from the
DesMoines Flight Service database lists for
$885.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Any sources?
Thanks,
Mike

Bob Noel
January 21st 08, 02:59 PM
In article >,
Mike Spera > wrote:

> However, the outer shrouding that needs replacing appears to be Piper
> designed/supplied. Where can you get this stuff new so that the 2-3
> pieces I need won't cost as much as a new engine? 1 piece from the
> DesMoines Flight Service database lists for
> $885.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Is there enough of it left that you can fabricate it yourself (using acceptable
materials and methods)?

When I overhauled my 140, the A&Ps had me make some replacement
parts for the baffling.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Mike Spera
January 21st 08, 07:45 PM

> Is there enough of it left that you can fabricate it yourself (using acceptable
> materials and methods)?

Actually, Most of it is fine. I just have a couple of pieces that have
cracked here and there. I suppose I could just fabricate some repair
pieces in a pinch. I was just wondering if there was a source for new
ones that I had not heard of.
Thanks,
Mike

Kyle Boatright
January 21st 08, 11:43 PM
"Mike Spera" > wrote in message
> As the 74 Cherokee ages, the engine baffling (0-320 E3D) is starting to
> show its age. Various places have been stop drilled over the years and it
> is time for replacement.
>
> I really don't want used salvage parts because they are likely in the same
> condition as what I have. The intercylinder baffles and hooks appear to be
> Lycoming manufactured hardware and ECI makes inexpensive replacements.
> Those don't need replacing (readily available, reasonably priced PMA
> alternatives - of COURSE you don't need THOSE).
>
> However, the outer shrouding that needs replacing appears to be Piper
> designed/supplied. Where can you get this stuff new so that the 2-3 pieces
> I need won't cost as much as a new engine? 1 piece from the DesMoines
> Flight Service database lists for
> $885.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
>
> Any sources?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Find an RV builder in your area and look at the baffles in his/her airplane.
The entire baffle "kit" is roughly $200. My guess is that you could make the
parts fit and could claim them as owner fabricated replacement parts.

KB

Denny
January 22nd 08, 12:12 PM
On Jan 21, 6:43*pm, "Kyle Boatright" > wrote:
> "Mike Spera" > wrote in message

> > As the 74 Cherokee ages, the engine baffling (0-320 E3D) is starting to
> > show its age. Various places have been stop drilled over the years and it
> > is time for replacement.
>
> > I really don't want used salvage parts because they are likely in the same
> > condition as what I have. The intercylinder baffles and hooks appear to be
> > Lycoming manufactured hardware and ECI makes inexpensive replacements.
> > Those don't need replacing (readily available, reasonably priced PMA
> > alternatives - of COURSE you don't need THOSE).
>
> > However, the outer shrouding that needs replacing appears to be Piper
> > designed/supplied. Where can you get this stuff new so that the 2-3 pieces
> > I need won't cost as much as a new engine? 1 piece from the DesMoines
> > Flight Service database lists for
> > $885.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
>
> > Any sources?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
>
> Find an RV builder in your area and look at the baffles in his/her airplane.
> The entire baffle "kit" is roughly $200. My guess is that you could make the
> parts fit and could claim them as owner fabricated replacement parts.
>
> KB- Hide quoted text -

Claim, schmame - IRAN - make the needed "repairs" and install... Each
separate piece is simply a repair of the baffling system... Needs only
the barest of mentions by the A&I...
Fat Albert is going to get an engine overhaul (when crusty old
mechanic gets a round tuit)... Also planned is IRAN the baffles...
They will be gorgeous when done...

denny
denny

Ray Andraka
January 24th 08, 11:31 PM

> Find an RV builder in your area and look at the baffles in his/her
> airplane. The entire baffle "kit" is roughly $200. My guess is that you
> could make the parts fit and could claim them as owner fabricated
> replacement parts.
>
> KB

Owner fabricated parts doesn't give you license to make the part however
you want to make it. Owner fabricated parts still have to meet the
original type certificate. That means either working from drawings or
reverse engineering the existing, making sure you match not only the
materials but also any manufacturing process that may alter the material
properties, e.g. heat treating. The final part must still be a faithful
duplicate of the part you are replacing. All the owner fabrication rule
does is get you around having a PMA approval on the part.

Kyle Boatright
January 25th 08, 12:02 AM
"Ray Andraka" > wrote in message

>> Find an RV builder in your area and look at the baffles in his/her
>> airplane. The entire baffle "kit" is roughly $200. My guess is that you
>> could make the parts fit and could claim them as owner fabricated
>> replacement parts.
>>
>> KB
>
> Owner fabricated parts doesn't give you license to make the part however
> you want to make it. Owner fabricated parts still have to meet the
> original type certificate. That means either working from drawings or
> reverse engineering the existing, making sure you match not only the
> materials but also any manufacturing process that may alter the material
> properties, e.g. heat treating. The final part must still be a faithful
> duplicate of the part you are replacing. All the owner fabrication rule
> does is get you around having a PMA approval on the part.

My point, perhaps not communicated well, was that the Original Poster might
be able to buy Van's baffle kit and use it as a starting point. I'd guess
that Van's baffle kit is a very close match to anything supplied by Cessna,
Beech, Piper, etc. for a similar engine. Beats the heck out of starting
from scratch.

Beyond that, we're talking baffles, not having the OP machine new connecting
rods for his engine. Baffles are pretty simple and the OP should be able to
make a determination as to whether the kit part would or wouldn't work.

KB

Google